Why no GWR Mogul

Started by twinklekev, August 02, 2020, 09:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinklekev

I've been an N Gauge modeler for more than 30 years and in all that time the only way that you could build a GWR Mogul was from a white metal kit. Now in recent years we've had a whole slew of new models produced for the LNER, Southern, etc., and some brand new versions of old one's from the likes of Dapol and Bachman-Farish. but no one is going anywhere near a GWR mogul. Why?

The GWR built 307 of them and R Stevenson & Co added 35 more so it's not like we're talking a one off here. They were distributed right across the GWR / Western region. The first loco hit the rails in 1911 and withdrawal's started, strangely enough in 1936 with the last one going in 1964.

And it's not like the research hasn't been done because Dapol have a "00" version coming out soon (if it's not out already) and Heljan do an "0" gauge version.

So come on Dapol. What about an N gauge one as well?

Twinklekev.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

I wonder if the former proposed DJM model is/was puttimg Dapol off.

Train Waiting

I understand that the pre-War withdrawals of the class was to provide the wheels and motion for 'new' 'Grange' and 'Manor' locomotives.  The Standard No. 4 boilers would either be scrapped or go in the boiler pool and the tenders would be re-used.  This was typical of the Great Western with its high degree of standardisation of parts.  Present day preservationists are carrying on the tradition!

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Newportnobby

Certainly the demise of DJ Models put the final nail in the Mogul coffin but it's something I'd like one of the newbies (Sonic, for example) to maybe have a go at, once we've seen the results of the 56xx. My fear of Dapol doing one is I won't be around to see it :worried:

thebrighton

I seem to recall a Mogul was to be Ixions second loco after the Manor. It looks like it's jinxed!

Dorsetmike

But not as bad as no 4-6-0s for the Southern, (although we do have a mogul); however I still think that a 4-6-0 is probably needed more than a mogul.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Steven B

You could equally ask why no LNER 2-6-0:
K1: 70 built - 1 preserved
K2: 75 built - none preserved
K3: 193 built - none preserved
K4: 6 built - 1 preserved

Equally, despite the LMS Ivatt 2-6-0, there's still room for a crab. Ditto SR U Class.

Lots to go at.

chrism

Quote from: Steven B on August 02, 2020, 11:58:54 AM
Equally, despite the LMS Ivatt 2-6-0, there's still room for a crab. Ditto SR U Class.

Farish did a Crab.

Roy L S

Quote from: chrism on August 02, 2020, 12:34:29 PM
Quote from: Steven B on August 02, 2020, 11:58:54 AM

Farish did a Crab.

They did, and for it's time a reasonable model (early 90s) but it will never be produced again, and was anyway woefully short of today's standards.

Mogul wise all there is at present is the BR Standard 4MT and the Southern N Class from Farish.

I would personally prefer to see a new tool "Crab" before a GW mogul, but there seems little doubt either would be a good choice.

Roy

Bob G

DJM only got as far as the CAD IIRC - or maybe not even that. It was probably to secure the model rights rather than for any other purpose.
And it is a very much needed loco.
Since Dapol is doing the OO one it is likely that no one will go near it other than Dapol.
But by the time they have designed the coreless motor to eliminate the awful cardan shaft to the tender, we might be talking many few years down the road.

Bob

Bigmac

it wouldnt surprise me if Dapol stop producing new N gauge steam locos altogether. most have come with problems built in.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

tunneroner61

Quote from: Bigmac on August 02, 2020, 03:37:24 PM
it wouldnt surprise me if Dapol stop producing new N gauge steam locos altogether. most have come with problems built in.
Any chance you could expand on that observation please???

Bigmac

Quote from: tunneroner61 on August 02, 2020, 04:08:30 PM
Quote from: Bigmac on August 02, 2020, 03:37:24 PM
Any chance you could expand on that observation please???

dapol's diesels seem to do well--and have a mostly happy following, whereas the steam outlines are the opposite, from what ive read and my own experience.  so i could well imagine that will influence their future plans for n gauge.  that is--if they have any.  when was their last new steam outline released ?
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

GrahamB

I'm happy with my Dapol steam locomotives, 2884's, Manors, Grange, Panniers Prairies and 14XX's. Not so happy with the Hall as it doesn't like tight curves, which I have in the hidden sidings area, but I had to have one.

Perhaps I'm just lucky.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations