47 or 66??? model advice please

Started by bbdave, May 26, 2012, 07:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbdave

Hi i have had some money for my birthday and i feel i should do it justice i am looking for a loco to add to the fleet of two something to compliment my 37.
Dapol or Farish i'm not fussed but my Farish 37 does run very smooth i like the 66 but have heard reliability stories etc about these are they true?

i also like the 47 but not seen much about them are they a good model?

idealy either in Colas (i like the color) but again not fussed as everything seems to run here.
a cheap resource for either will help buy more stock to pull.

Is it worth going the ebay/second hand route?

Dave

Fratton

i have the class 47 titan and it is a fabulous model it runs really well and pulls my rake of dapol mk3's as if they weren't there, but then that might be equally praise for dapols mk3's it runs really well at a crawl in DCC pulling a full rake and i have found it accepts the dapol magnetic and non magnetic couplers realy well, for looks really crisp livery and the detail is great and it looks even better with the front nem socket removed completely and bufferbeam details added,,,,,
Charlie.

DavidW

best way to complement a 37 is with another 37!! I'f you would consider 66 i'd go 67 instead. But a nice 58 may work well??

Mustermark

I have several Dapol 66s. None are from the first batch, and all are excellent runners.

You should be able to get an EWS fairly cheap as they are common, but Colas do seem to cost more, especially on eBay, i think because they are rarer.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Dock Shunter

Quote from: DavidW on May 26, 2012, 12:01:21 PM
But a nice 58 may work well??

I would agree.....if you are looking for a loco to pull freight then the Dapol Railfright Redstripe 58 would be a great choice.

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=DAND103A

Really nice model and great slow speed running capabilities...... :thumbsup:

Newportnobby

66's are way too late for my era, but if it helps, my 47's are really nice, quiet runners :thumbsup:

OwL

IMHO you cannot go wrong with either,

i have 1 dapol 66, x3 Farish 66's and x3 upgraded class 47's from farish, my favorite being large logo blue 'University of Leicester' all excellent runners.

Dapol do an excellent class 66 Colas set with a motorised 66 and a dummy 66, both look really good and ive heard of very little problems from them.
if you want to spend a bit more buy from an on-line big box seller like Hattons/Rails of Sheffield/Signal Box Rochester, that way if any problems you can send straight back and they are generally good on prices too.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

bbdave

How do i know if a loco is from a first batch? But if it's ok to have an intercity logo'd loco pulling freight i may go for one of those.

Dave

Skyline2uk

I have a China built Farish 47 in Rail Distribution ("The Sapper") and its one of my best runners.

The Farish EWS 66 in my fleet needed to go back to Bachman with a split gear, but they returned it no fuss.

It runs quite well, but I think it's not as well suited to tight corners as the 47.

I have 2 more 47s, both Poole build (SS Great Britain Great Western and Portabrook special edition) and I can only comment on the Great Western one (runs ok) as the purple one hasn't turned a wheel yet! 

With regards to the two bargain 47s on Rails, the parcels one is the more versatile. You were more likely to see one of those on freight (as well as parcels vans and GUVs), and that version of Intercity livery is quite old now.

Having said that, if you like it, run it!

Skyline2uk

bbdave

Quote from: Skyline2uk on May 26, 2012, 06:10:23 PM
I have a China built Farish 47 in Rail Distribution ("The Sapper") and its one of my best runners.

The Farish EWS 66 in my fleet needed to go back to Bachman with a split gear, but they returned it no fuss.

It runs quite well, but I think it's not as well suited to tight corners as the 47.

I have 2 more 47s, both Poole build (SS Great Britain Great Western and Portabrook special edition) and I can only comment on the Great Western one (runs ok) as the purple one hasn't turned a wheel yet! 

With regards to the two bargain 47s on Rails, the parcels one is the more versatile. You were more likely to see one of those on freight (as well as parcels vans and GUVs), and that version of Intercity livery is quite old now.

Having said that, if you like it, run it!

Skyline2uk

Thanks i intend one day to model Dawlish so wanted to buy stock that i can keep and run on that layout i didn't want to buy a parcel loco then have to buy parcel vans as i intend pulling ballast wagons etc.

Dave

Donkey

Can't comment on 66's but my green 47 looks and runs great.

Marty

bbdave

Thanks bluedepot it amazes me how i miss stuff on ebay i hadn't seen any of those the 47 seems the most reliable/best runner so far but i have seen the new 37s liveries ??? They are a few more pounds though.

Dave

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations