Ferry tube wagons

Started by ohlavache, January 19, 2016, 08:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohlavache

Hello.
I've spent these past few days investigating which wagons were allowed to have a trip on a ferry.
And I've discovered some "Ferry tube" wagons from Peco.

Were these wagons really allowed to go on a boat ?
I am quite surprised that an open wagon can be used in this case. How can it be guaranteed that the load won't fall off the train when there is a big storm on the sea ?

Last, but not least, were these wagons used to carry tubes (as suggested by their name) ?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Have a nice evening.

woodbury22uk

There was never a problem with taking open wagons on the ferry. These ferries had rail tracks on a covered deck. The only wagons left on an open deck were usually tanks carrying dangerous goods. This was an explosion/fire control  precaution.The wagons were chained down securely on the deck and did not move.

The ferry tube wagons were certainly used to and from France, but much of their work was carrying materials such as replacement wheelsets and brake equipment for the repair of British registered wagons with maintenance needed on the continent.

Photos are here:- http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brferrytube

There were indeed wagons used for carrying tubes. The side doors gave good access to the load for putting slings underneath the tubes for loading and unloading. However, they were used for a wide range of goods which required an open topped wagon for loading and unloading. The first photo here shows one loaded with something which is definitely not tube.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brlnertube

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Steven B

The wagon load would be tied down to the wagon so it wouldn't move around whilst in a train; The same restraints would keep the load under control whilst the wagon was chained to the train ferry.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Cooper

You will notice that the Peco wagon has only a passing resemblance to the vehicles in the photo links. However, the Chivers kits of the tube wagon will give a closer rendition if you fancy building one!

ohlavache

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Quote from: Steven B on January 20, 2016, 11:49:22 AM
The wagon load would be tied down to the wagon so it wouldn't move around whilst in a train

For a boat trip, is there any additional precaution taken when the load is tied up to the wagon (compared to a usual trip)?

martyn

The wagons were chained to the deck of the ferry; the yellow or white painted hooks on the solebar were used for this purpose. There was one hook at each 'corner', on the solebar close to the buffer beam. Only vehicles with an anchor sign painted on it were allowed to cross; the anchor meant that it had been fitted for sea journeys.
As has been said, hazardous (mainly tanks) would be carried at the stern; on the Harwich-Zeebrugge service, that also meant they were in the open.
After a very rough crossing, it was not unknown for the cargo, especially inside vans similar to BR VIX type, to move and either distort the sides or even come through the side. This was rare, I think, however; the wagon would be held in a siding on discharge, and another wagon sent to take the cargo. I'm sure I also have memories of a German open flat wagon fitted with very large steel side posts (link; [http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/germanstake]  which had had a timber cargo shift and spill.
Don't forget that as well as UK-France and Belgium services, there were a number of other ferry links in Northern Europe, particularly in the Baltic.
Martyn

Steven B

I can't imagine that the ferry crew would add any extra load restraints to open wagons. They'd be relying on who ever originally loaded the wagon doing a decent job.

There's a BFI/British Transport Films film called "LinkSpan" that covers 24 hours of train ferry operation. It's a while since I've watched it but it may show loaded wagons on the ferry.

It's part of the British Transport Films Volume Five: Off the Beaten Track DVD, I can't find it on YouTube.

If you search Google (or ask the NRM) you may be able to find some working instructions for the train ferry that would provide extra information on the correct way of securing loads for ferry wagons.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

martyn

The ships' crews were not involved in loading the cargo into the wagons. This was done to approved methods by the consignors or railway staff; rather like seagoing containers on ships today.
The crews only ensured that the wagons were chained down correctly, and ensure that hazardous was at the stern. The chains for the wagons were fitted to purposely designed permanent fixtures on the ships' traindeck. I think that Etched Pixels do, or did, a detailing kit for ferry vans, which includes the Ramshorn-shaped hooks for the wagons.
As an aside, the Harwich ferries had four tracks, with 'conventional' pointwork linking the tracks as two separate pairs; many of the Baltic services had multiple tracks linked by 'gauntleted' style pointwork (similar to Fleischmann/Peco three way points). The Harwich loading bridge (still existent as a VERY run down grade 2 listed building) had two approach tracks, each leading to a point at the stern of the ship, which then gave the four tracks on the ship.
The ferry service also featured in an early (pre WW2?) Hitchcock thriller, with a speeding train running right through the ferry and into the sea (I think!).
Martyn

woodbury22uk

The December 2015 edition of Rail Express magazine has a 3  page article on the British Train FerryService. One photo shows the dangerous goods tank cars on the open deck at tge rear of the Essez Ferry leaving Harwich in 1979. There is some information on traffic flows and wagons.

The original port in Kent was at Richborough which was connected to the East Kent Railway. The link was acheived about the time that the Southern Railway decided to base its operation at Dover. The 3 new ferries at Dover - the Hampton, Twickenham and Shepperton - were used for goods wagons and the Night Ferry Type F sleeping cars forming the London - Paris/Bruxelles/Bâle service, and also reaching a few other destinations according to season. LSModels have been threatening us with a 1/160 scale Type F sleeping car for years, but with their recent and current problems I do not think it will arrive in my lifetime!
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

ohlavache

Thank you all for these very interesting answers.
I will try to get the December 2015 edition of Rail Express magazine.
Do you have any books in French or in English to suggest on train ferry links over the Channel (la Manche for me in French) and/or the Baltic sea?
I already have a wonderful one on the Night Ferry.
Have a nice day.

Cooper

International Train Ferry Wagons by David Ratcliffe (Ian Allan) is a good publication for the vehicles used in the TOPS era.

BernardTPM

Quote from: Cooper on January 20, 2016, 05:28:21 PM
You will notice that the Peco wagon has only a passing resemblance to the vehicles in the photo links. However, the Chivers kits of the tube wagon will give a closer rendition if you fancy building one!
Yes, it's way short of the real thing, though virtually all the detail work on it is correct. I reckon three bodies into one might work*, but it might be worth slicing the detail strapping off with a very sharp blade if you went down the Chivers conversion route. Just one Peco body needed then!

* I'm going to try this for a 1:160 scale version.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations