Making a Modification to Train-Techs sound module:

Started by Tdm, February 20, 2015, 11:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

Quote from: newportnobby on February 24, 2015, 08:24:49 PM
Quote from: Tdm on February 24, 2015, 04:04:26 PM
Will do a new video in due course when I have completed my existing modifications.
Did the sound on the existing video clip come across O.K.?
The sound came across OK, Terry, although I sensed some frustration the vehicle wouldn't stay on the track :hmmm:

I might have sworn a few times (off camera of course), but the Mk2 version is staying on the track much better, just need some weight adding to one end to balance it better. You never know - the Mk3 might be perfect and only require some cosmetic changes (ie. a cover).

Tdm

Quote from: mr bachmann on February 24, 2015, 08:37:01 PM
why not use the rail roads rule one issue , and use a 89 foot Auto Rack or a Bachmann 85 foot big dome car , also the unit might fit into one of the bigger US tenders .

Trouble is the width - the sound module itself is just too wide/tall to go inside N gauge rolling stock such as you suggest - but thanks anyway. Think I am going to stick with the chassis of a container wagon for the time being, and if/when I get it running round the track O.K., will look at the best way of putting some sort of "tarpaulin" cover over it to hide the module.

Was wondering if I could use some glasses cleaning cloth that you get with a pair of specs, and paint it black, it's fairly thin and I don't want to increase the width & height much more else it will start fouling again - just an idea.

Tdm

As the changes to my layout are nearly complete, I thought I would try running the modified flat wagon that I used to house Train Techs sound module around the track.

Turned out it was somewhat too high and was catching on all the bridges it came across.

So I turned the module round sideways and I am going to try again when the glue I used to hold it together has set. It now looks somewhat like the barrel of a large WW2 gun.
The only worry now is that as it sticks out sideways a little, it might catch on some scenery or a station platform - we shall see.

The pictures below shows it as it looks now from various angles, but without the battery that goes in one end. I used some extra rubber tubing in addition to what Train Tech supply to improve the sound.

If it goes round the track O.K. when I next test it, I will include it running in the new video I will put together when the layout is complete.

Tdm

Now tested the modified "sound wagon" on the layout and it works and doesn't de-rail or catch anything - got something right at last.  :)

Tdm

Below is a short video (just over 3 minutes) showing the Train Tech "steam" sound module fitted to a modified flat wagon and running on my layout for the first time.

The layout is almost complete, but I awaiting a tripod to hold my camcorder to get steadier pictures. So apologies in advance if the rather hurriedly produced YouTube video clip is a little blurry and out of focus in places.

The video does include a quick scan of my layout, and for the benefit of Mick (newportnobby) the Lake on it that I recently added I have now "discoloured" somewhat as he said it was too blue for an English Lake! (see end image).

It's just a pity that Train Tech don't produce a slightly smaller unit for N gauge that could be "hidden" inside a milk van for example.

I did order a "diesel" sound module as well, but that I have yet to pick up as it was sent to my son's house in the U.K.

The extra rubber tubing I added to the one provided by Train Tech does make a difference in my opinion, I hope the sound comes across O.K. on the video.

PS. Just a reminder that my railway is purely DC, and I have no intention of converting to DCC. The YouTube link appears below.

http://youtu.be/12CxGFE_iIY

Newportnobby

Very sorry, Terry, but that has done nothing to convince me to go down the sound route.
The steam sounds always seemed to be trying to catch up with the speed the train was moving at. For some, it may be better than nothing but my marks would be 4/10.
:sorrysign:

On the bright side, the extension looks very good and the lake is much better (although I'd have gone even more green).

Hope you don't mind me speaking my mind :no:

Tdm

Quote from: newportnobby on April 07, 2015, 09:21:51 PM
Very sorry, Terry, but that has done nothing to convince me to go down the sound route.
The steam sounds always seemed to be trying to catch up with the speed the train was moving at. For some, it may be better than nothing but my marks would be 4/10.
:sorrysign:
On the bright side, the extension looks very good and the lake is much better (although I'd have gone even more green).
Hope you don't mind me speaking my mind :no:

Of course not Mick - I'll let the "Thought Police" decide if they need to take you in for re-programming.  :D

Haven't made up my own mind yet on the system - but I wanted to give it a try, and maybe the video will help others who were thinking about it decide whether to go ahead or not.

As regards the Lake - the (almost) constant sunshine here shining through the window of the store room will probably fade it even more.

Hope you had a nice Easter.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations