Which Dapol Pannier to buy?

Started by André-NL, November 12, 2014, 09:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

André-NL

Hi all,

I am planning to buy my first Dapol steam loco.

Number one on my wishlist is a Pannier engine number 5764 (dcc decoder fitted).
On Dapol's website I see 2 versions, 2S-007-008D and 2S-007-012D.
They look exactly the same to me, can't see any difference between them.

I know there are (were?) some pick-up issues with some of these Panniers,
so maybe the 012D is a new batch?

I hope some of you can answer this.

Thanks,

André

Dr Al

The design is the same in all cases, so the pickup situation hasn't been explicitly resolved.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Karhedron

I would advise against getting 5764 because it is painted with incorrect colour route discs. When the 5700s were first built, the GWR rated them as Blue locos. It was not until 1950 when they had passed to BR ownership that they were re-rated as Yellow.

All panniers in GWR liveries should have Blue discs. 5764 has Yellow discs which is only correct for BR liveries.

Dapol have also got this wrong by releasing some with red discs which implies they are as heavy as the big 4-6-0s.  :doh: There is a serious lack of attention to detail with the Panniers. You could replace the discs yourself if you are happy to do so. Fox sell transfers for the appropriate colour which should cover Dapol's slip-up.

Just to be annoying 5724 with GWR on the tank sides has the correct blue disc but is incorrectly modelled with the later style cab windows. This was one of the original 50 and should have round "spectacle" windows.

The following Pannier is the only one I know of in GWR livery to have the correct combination of livery, cab and route disc (as far as I can tell).

9659 ND204C
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

André-NL

Never thought i would get in trouble with the "Rule 1 Police"  :D  by asking the difference between 2 loco's.
First time for me to hear about route disc and those other details.
I had to read your reply about 3 times to understand it because English is not my native language (Dutch guy) but i'm getting there.

But seriously, i still wonder what the difference is between the 2 loco's.

Greetings,
André

Steven B

According to the Dapol catalogue:
2S-007-005 London Transport L97
2S-007-006 BR Black Late Crest 3702
2S-007-007 BR Black Early Crest 4607
2S-007-008 GWR Green "Great Western" lettering 5764
2S-007-009 GWR Green "GWR" lettering 5724
2S-007-010 GWR Shirt Button 8700
2S-007-011 GWR Shirt Button 6746
2S-007-012 "Great Western" livery 5764
2S-007-013 Green "British Railways" livery 9744

I'd suggest emailing Dapol for an answer....

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

johnlambert

Quote from: Karhedron on November 12, 2014, 01:34:23 PM

Dapol have also got this wrong by releasing some with red discs which implies they are as heavy as the big 4-6-0s.  :doh: There is a serious lack of attention to detail with the Panniers. You could replace the discs yourself if you are happy to do so. Fox sell transfers for the appropriate colour which should cover Dapol's slip-up.

Just checked my GWR-livery Pannier 8762; I never even noticed the route availability disc before today.  It is red :(

Ah well, it is still a nice little model.  I'll just have to get some transfers to put the error right.

And, Steven B, I can't see any difference with either of those locos either.

Karhedron

Quote from: André-NL on November 12, 2014, 03:04:14 PM
Never thought i would get in trouble with the "Rule 1 Police"  :D  by asking the difference between 2 loco's.
Hello,

Sorry for getting picky about details. I model the GWR so the errors annoyed me.  :-[

You are absolutely right, Rule 1 rules!  :NGaugersRule:

I just wanted to make sure you could make an informed decision.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

André-NL

Hi all,

Steven,
Thanks for the attached info :claphappy:.
The new catalogue makes my wishlist longer and longer.
And I have send an email to Dapol with my question, they haven't replied yet.

Karhedron,
Thanks anyway for the info,
I never paid any attention on those discs but i will keep it in mind.
On my new layout there will be maybe many "wrong" loco's but that is no problem for me.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations