What differences between these ?

Started by ohlavache, March 20, 2013, 01:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohlavache

Hello.
While looking at the novelties announced by Graham Farish, I saw some items for which I am not able to say what is the difference with equivalent Dapol ones.  :hmmm:
(I'm talking here of the prototypes, not of the quality compared between the two manufacturers.)

1st) What difference (in terms of looking) between a Class 57xx Pannier (announced by Dapol) and a Class 64xx Pannier (announced by Graham Farish) ?

2nd) What difference (in terms of both looking and train service) between Dapol's CCT parcel van (ref. 2F-047-001) and Graham Farish's Southern passenger luggage van (ref. 374-416) ?
What does CCT stand for ?

Thanks by advance for your answers.
Have a nice afternoon.

Jerry Howlett

CCT stands for Covered Carriage Truck, these vehicles had large end doors whereby in those bygone years a carriage could be loaded from a ramp at the buffer ends. In later years they started to invent motor cars but the designation for this type of rail vehicle continued in use.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

zwilnik

Technically, the 5700 was one of the 'larger' class Panniers while the 6400 was a 'small' class one, but from the outside, they're pretty similar barring details such as the smaller dome on the 6400.

The gwr.org site has a great page on the various Pannier Tanks.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nopanniers.html

MinZaPint

Quote from: Zwilnik on March 20, 2013, 04:48:44 PM
Technically, the 5700 was one of the 'larger' class Panniers while the 6400 was a 'small' class one, but from the outside, they're pretty similar barring details such as the smaller dome on the 6400.

The gwr.org site has a great page on the various Pannier Tanks.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nopanniers.html

That's a great reference site for GWR fans thanks for posting, although I'm afraid I'll waste enjoy hours on there!  ::)
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: ohlavache on March 20, 2013, 01:42:54 PM
Farish) ?

2nd) What difference (in terms of both looking and train service) between Dapol's CCT parcel van (ref. 2F-047-001) and Graham Farish's Southern passenger luggage van (ref. 374-416) ?
What does CCT stand for ?

Thanks by advance for your answers.
Have a nice afternoon.

The Dapol model is indeed a CCT. However the farish model , having viewed the picture in Hattons forthcoming releases of the real thing is of a Passenger Luggage van, these vans unlike the Dapol model did not have end loading doors.
The PLV I believe were used on the boat train traffic in the days of large (LARGE!) items of personal luggage. Both were used in the later years for parcels traffic.

Newportnobby

Hi Jerry,

I believe the Farish PLV and their CCT are very different animals. Please see item 374-785 on their site.

http://www.bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=farish&prod=3
By the way, the Dapol red CCT is more salmon pink (having seen one) and matches the pink ballast donated to me recently :-[
It's why I have pre-ordered the Farish maroon one.

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: newportnobby on March 20, 2013, 09:07:15 PM
Hi Jerry,

I believe the Farish PLV and their CCT are very different animals. Please see item 374-785 on their site.

By the way, the Dapol red CCT is more salmon pink (having seen one) and matches the pink ballast donated to me recently :-[

Hi Mick Thats what I was trying to tell ohlavache. I will edit my post to make it clearer! As a Southern built vehicle I think it should stay in its native green and just be a visitor...

Newportnobby

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on March 20, 2013, 09:10:43 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on March 20, 2013, 09:07:15 PM
Hi Jerry,

Hi Mick Thats what I was trying to tell ohlavache. I will edit my post to make it clearer!

No need to edit, Jerry.
I think I misunderstood your post and thought you were mistaking the PLV for the CCT by Farish.
My mistake - I must find something to soak up this red wine ( should I ask for a squiffy smiley)

ohlavache

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on March 20, 2013, 07:06:03 PM
The Dapol model is indeed a CCT. However the farish model , having viewed the picture in Hattons forthcoming releases of the real thing is of a Passenger Luggage van, these vans unlike the Dapol model did not have end loading doors.
The PLV I believe were used on the boat train traffic in the days of large (LARGE!) items of personal luggage. Both were used in the later years for parcels traffic.

One more question to be sure. I understand that, for the Dapol model, on the faces where there is a rapido coupler I have 2 loading doors. And these doors do not exist on the Graham Farish model. Right ?

Thanks also to Zwilnik for his link.  :thumbsup:

Jerry Howlett

Karhedron

Quote from: ohlavache on March 20, 2013, 01:42:54 PM
1st) What difference (in terms of looking) between a Class 57xx Pannier (announced by Dapol) and a Class 64xx Pannier (announced by Graham Farish) ?
The main difference is that the 6400 class were push-pull fitted. They regularly worked auto-trains in places where the traffic levels or gradients were more than a 1400/4800 could handle. They are particularly associated with the welsh valleys services and the south west.

They were a slightly different shape than the regular panniers in that the tanks were flush with the top of the boiler giving them a very flat-topped appearance. Also, the 5700/8750 classes were regarded as shunters and general purpose engines but the 6400 were definitely passenger locos. This reached its pinacle in the late 50s and early 60s when many members of the 6400 class were painted in fully lined green livery, probably the smallest engines to wear it.  :laugh:
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

ohlavache

Quote from: Karhedron on March 21, 2013, 01:20:37 PM
The main difference is that the 6400 class were push-pull fitted. They regularly worked auto-trains in places where the traffic levels or gradients were more than a 1400/4800 could handle. They are particularly associated with the welsh valleys services and the south west.

They were a slightly different shape than the regular panniers in that the tanks were flush with the top of the boiler giving them a very flat-topped appearance. Also, the 5700/8750 classes were regarded as shunters and general purpose engines but the 6400 were definitely passenger locos. This reached its pinacle in the late 50s and early 60s when many members of the 6400 class were painted in fully lined green livery, probably the smallest engines to wear it.  :laugh:

Thanks a lot for this detailed answer.
Very interesting.

EtchedPixels

Probably the smallest engines to wear it.  :laugh:

Now that's a fun question. Smallest I can think of however is

http://railway-photography.smugmug.com/NarrowGaugeRailways/Vale-of-Rheidol-Railway/16173411_zCx9kS#!i=1708769737&k=v6N8Fj6&lb=1&s=A

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Karhedron

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

steam-driven boy

Hi,
many members of the 6400 class were painted in fully lined green livery, probably the smallest engines to wear it.  :laugh:
If Ixion hadn't quit on N then maybe they might've tried scaling this to our scale:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_03_2013/post-13142-0-58894000-1362246413_thumb.jpg
Would've been interesting  8)

Regards, Gerry.
...being a bear of very little brain...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations