Dapol-Customer Service???

Started by Ditape, March 04, 2015, 05:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottyStitch

Quote from: FeelixTC on March 11, 2015, 10:48:29 AM
This is all self-contradictory - on the one hand; we have people (quite rightly) 'observing' that the service of manufacturers can fall below both expectation and, sometimes, statutory rights.
On the other; people asking why you can't fix it yourself.

You wouldn't put up with shoddy goods/service in any other field and frankly; 'fixing it yourself' is just letting the manufacturer off the hook.

If you *can* fix it yourself; good for you - but this thread wasn't for you.

Not quite. A DCC blanking card slipping out in transit does not constitute shoddy goods/service in my view, but I guess we all have differing view on what is acceptable and what isn't.

What was this thread for? For those who feel disaffected by something that doesn't work as advertised to have a collective moan, open only to those who agree with their sentiment? Or a thread open to everyone who may actually have some decent, relevant and helpful advice.

If the problem is something simple like a blanking card fallen out, then slot it back in and tell the manufacturer you had to do it. How in the world is that letting them off the hook?

Dr Al

Quote from: Only Me on March 11, 2015, 11:28:31 AM
Thought I'd post this as never heard or seen this issue before.....

That's a truely bizarre one....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

FeelixTC

Quote from: ScottyStitch on March 11, 2015, 11:07:33 AM
Not quite. A DCC blanking card slipping out in transit does not constitute shoddy goods/service in my view, but I guess we all have differing view on what is acceptable and what isn't.

Indeed we do; my view is it's been received 'not fit for purpose' - What do *you* think 'Ready to Run' means??

If the problem is something simple like a blanking card fallen out, then slot it back in and tell the manufacturer you had to do it. How in the world is that letting them off the hook?

Because that doesn't happen, does it?? Nobody that fixes (or; finishes the job properly) a faulty item contacts the manufacturer with that feedback, so the manufacturer never knows how crap some of the kit they ship is.
Instead; they just seem to bleat about how easy it is to do and give the impression that the less experienced/confident person is somehow 'failing' by having the temerity to ask for proper kit.

These are expensive and delicate items, is it *really* so wrong to expect them to work properly?

silly moo

I think the main problem has been the fact that it took so long to get a response of any kind from Dapol and that they only replied once The OP posted on Facebook.

The MD said that he was away but the rest of the staff have let him down badly. All they would have needed to do was to refer Ditape to DCC supplies or at the very least have the courtesy to reply to her letter.

Newportnobby

I fear Dapol have ignored customer service for years and will probably continue to do so as they just cannot seem to 'connect' with their customers. 4 years ago I was told in no uncertain terms at TINGS that the NGF had a downer on Dapol. The Q & A on RMWeb degenerated into a farce as Dapol couldn't/wouldn't answer what was thrown at them. Does their entire customer interface revolve around Joel? If so, it just sums them up :unimpressed:
I have many Dapol locos and, when you get a good 'un, they are lovely lookers/runners.
I'm of the 'if it doesn't do what it says on the tin return it immediately to the retailer' brigade. They sold me the shoddy goods so they should replace it. What they do with the duff one is up to them - I don't care. This applies to Dapol/Farish/Peco (I've had duffers from each) so I'm not biased :no:

Rob H

Quote from: red_death on March 10, 2015, 10:11:21 PM
Quote from: Avis1434 on March 10, 2015, 08:29:56 PM
The faulty item is not fit for purpose and you should not need to mess around in any way in the hope that you can rectify the fault, even if it is simply the pick up's not making proper contact.

Really? Should the "average" modeller not even be able to make sure that contacts are actually making contact?

It would be great to think that nothing ever gets dislodged in shipping (half way round the world and within the UK postal network), but it may be wishful thinking.

Cheers, Mike

Yes Really !!  I think you're out of order suggesting that "average " modellers should know how to .........
If manufacturers sent out well QC'd models to start out with we wouldn't need to have the knowledge you obviously have and to suggest that if we don't have it we are below "average", well I take exception to that !

We're looking to improve the standard of these expensive items not gain knowledge of how to rectify their mistakes,

Rob.
They say that love is more important than money but have you ever tried to pay a bill with a hug ?

silly moo

I wouldn't want to even try to take a Dapol loco apart as they seem to be held together with easily broken plastic clips and paint. I don't think they were ever designed to be taken apart and serviced.

I've been very lucky with their locos so far and only have one semi dud which is a real screecher.

The new locos are delicate and finely detailed, not everyone has the confidence and skill to take them apart for even the simplest adjustment.

red_death

Quote from: Rob H on March 11, 2015, 01:14:25 PM
Yes Really !!  I think you're out of order suggesting that "average " modellers should know how to .........
If manufacturers sent out well QC'd models to start out with we wouldn't need to have the knowledge you obviously have and to suggest that if we don't have it we are below "average", well I take exception to that !

Sorry but that is a completely OTT reaction. If you want to take offence where none was intended then you will only stress yourself out.

My point was not necessarily about QC. The example I gave of things becoming loose or mal-aligned in transit is almost impossible to solve - QC, testing and even design (unless you can come up with something radically different) won't necessarily solve those sorts of problems.

Mike

FeelixTC

Quote from: red_death on March 11, 2015, 01:32:58 PM

My point was not necessarily about QC. The example I gave of things becoming loose or mal-aligned in transit is almost impossible to solve - QC, testing and even design (unless you can come up with something radically different) won't necessarily solve those sorts of problems.

Mike

But it's still not the purchasers problem is it?

Rob H

Quote from: red_death on March 11, 2015, 01:32:58 PM
Quote from: Rob H on March 11, 2015, 01:14:25 PM

Sorry but that is a completely OTT reaction. If you want to take offence where none was intended then you will only stress yourself out.

Mike
Well if the designers can't design something that doesn't come loose, misaligned or detached then in my view they haven't done a very good job, and its still not my job to rectify it - even if i had you unenviable knowledge !!

Stressed out Rob, not !!
They say that love is more important than money but have you ever tried to pay a bill with a hug ?

ScottyStitch

Quote from: FeelixTC on March 11, 2015, 11:39:11 AM

Indeed we do; my view is it's been received 'not fit for purpose' - What do *you* think 'Ready to Run' means??

Because that doesn't happen, does it?? Nobody that fixes (or; finishes the job properly) a faulty item contacts the manufacturer with that feedback, so the manufacturer never knows how crap some of the kit they ship is.
Instead; they just seem to bleat about how easy it is to do and give the impression that the less experienced/confident person is somehow 'failing' by having the temerity to ask for proper kit.

These are expensive and delicate items, is it *really* so wrong to expect them to work properly?

Nobody? The biggest sweeping statement of this whole thread. :smiley-laughing:

FeelixTC

Quote from: ScottyStitch on March 11, 2015, 01:57:23 PM

Let's do a straw poll then; come on, hands up?

ScottyStitch

Well I do, so that's blown your 'nobody' out of the water.

Seriously mate, take a chill pill and calm down. It's a toy train, pure and simple. :D

FeelixTC

Quote from: ScottyStitch on March 11, 2015, 02:08:26 PM
Well I do, so that's blown your 'nobody' out of the water.

Seriously mate, take a chill pill and calm down. It's a toy train, pure and simple. :D

You may find it more useful to apply your pedantry to your consumer rights.

It's not a toy train if it don't work; it's an ornament.

Oh, and thanks for the medical advice, but please don't refer to me as 'mate'.

jivebunny

Quote from: FeelixTC on March 11, 2015, 02:06:46 PM
Quote from: ScottyStitch on March 11, 2015, 01:57:23 PM

Let's do a straw poll then; come on, hands up?

Seems a bit irrelevant to be honest. When you consider that Dapol simply ignore messages and even parcels from unhappy customers who want them to fix a faulty product, it's a bit naïve to think that a message telling them how you spent 30 minutes fixing it yourself will go anywhere other than their Deleted Items folder.

JB

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations