Question for YouTube users

Started by TrevL, September 10, 2020, 08:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrevL

I'm an avid watcher of YouTube, and have over 20 channels I'm subsrcibed to.  Recently, as a Firefox user, I upgraded its adblocker to Adblocker Plus.
Since I upgraded, I haven't had a single email informing of new content, but if I go to the subsciptions menu, there is definately new content, which I can watch.  Could the adblocker be the cause of not getting youtube emails? TIA.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Malc

Do the emails come through Firefox or do you have a different client. If you have a dedicated client, Firefox Ad blocker wouldn't effect it.
You should check your spam folder To see if they are lurking there.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

TrevL

Thanks Malc, I use Thunderbird for email.  I was getting emails upto upgrading the adblocker, Nothing in spam folder.
Cheers, Trev.

chrism

A quick google indicates that Thunderbird can use addons and extensions, including ad blockers, so I guess it's possible that when your adblocker upgraded it found Thunderbird and installed itself for that too. In my (rather old) version of TB, Tools->Addons shows what, if any, are installed and active and probably allows one to uninstall or, possibly, deactivate them - can't be specific since I don't actually have any installed.

If you can't find anything there, it could be worth trying another email client at least temporarily to see if emails are actually coming through. I use POP Peeper, partly because it won't read anything other than plain text, i.e. no chance of any nasties, unless I tell it to show other formats. It's a portable app, which means it doesn't install stuff all over the place, just in a single folder, so easy to move to another machine or remove completely. I actually use it for all my emailing (read, send and/or delete) and only use TB for archiving anything I want to keep for reference.

If you try it and find that the emails are coming in there, then you know to dig deeper into Thunderbird.

https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=942

potts

Youtube have stopped sending reminders to subscribers since the 1st sept.

TrevL

Quote from: potts on September 11, 2020, 12:22:36 PM
Youtube have stopped sending reminders to subscribers since the 1st sept.

Really?  That would acount for it :thumbsup: Thanks.
Cheers, Trev.

lil chris

I am on my I pad now and on here on YouTube I get the notifications on YouTube telling me of new downloads, not sure if I get the same on my pc I will have to check later.
Just checked on here I get notifications about comments and replies to videos on my g mail account, but of course YouTube  are owned by Google.

Update: on my computer there is a bell icon at the top right which gives you notifications.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations