What are you modelling?

Started by guest2, November 26, 2010, 09:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

I'd do the roof vents first then paint it.

From memory and looking at pictures finding two rail blue era coaches with the same coloured roof was unusual, they tended to vary a bit sometimes a lot. Railmatch do a blue/grey for the roofs of the rail blue period.

I've been working on a couple of slightly older items.

A while back I acquired a Highfield S&D Bouch long boiler. It's probably one of if not the first UK outline N scale model loco kit, and Ray at BHE spun a new batch a while back along with the never released G5. It's not brilliant - it was to fit an Arnold chassis so its somewhat 'Limaesque' but with a bit of hacking and scratchbuilding some chassis bits it is getting there. It still needs a few bits of plumbing adding and the splashers. Right now it's also static as I'm still trying to build a working tender drive for it.

The centre bits of the chassis are from a dead Terrier picked up on ebay the rest of the chassis is bits of plastic and card, except the steps which I etched on the corner of a sheet a while back. On the bright side the NER figured out pretty early on that it was a whole ton cheaper to paint freight locos unlined blakc.

Also doing a bit more work backdating a pannier. The picture shows there is a fair bit of filling and tidying to do yet, particularly where I removed the boxes over the middle spasher. Sandboxes and some work on the front of the frames will also be needed. The motor is a bit of a problem I'm hoping a pair of crew members will "lose" it.

Alan

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

tadpole

Thanks, Alan. I think I've mixed myself a decent matt darkish grey colour which is drying as I speak. Looks OK so far.

The roofs of all six cars are lacking vents or any other features whatsoever, but as they don't bear close-up resemblance examination anyway, I don't think I'll miss them. I could replace the lot with standard Farish Mk1 roofs, they are exactly the right length, but I'm short of donor coaches (I'd also want their underframes for the non-powered cars).
Two rails good. Three better.

Crackerbill

Hi

In preparation for my new project - a steam loco depot - I was taken with the article in N'spirations No.3 on scratch building a Coal Tower.  Coal tower kits in N being almost non-existant.

I therefore drew up my plan with reference to the article and with reference to other peridicals I could get my hands on.  I must admit though I was more influenced by the N'spirations article, so thank you H for prodding me along in the right direction.

Here is my effort so far, needing a touch up here and there and some weathering before a final coat of matt varnish.  I will leave the ramp and hoist to be constructed when the tower is in situe.

Fifer

Quote from: Crackerbill on October 15, 2011, 05:44:33 PM
Hi

In preparation for my new project - a steam loco depot - I was taken with the article in N'spirations No.3 on scratch building a Coal Tower.  Coal tower kits in N being almost non-existant.

I therefore drew up my plan with reference to the article and with reference to other peridicals I could get my hands on.  I must admit though I was more influenced by the N'spirations article, so thank you H for prodding me along in the right direction.

Here is my effort so far, needing a touch up here and there and some weathering before a final coat of matt varnish.  I will leave the ramp and hoist to be constructed when the tower is in situe.

Great looking model there Bill !!

Mike
"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I wrote 'happy'.
They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life."
-- John Lennon

tadpole

Impressive! Why so tall? What are the different levels?

Crackerbill

Hi all

Thank you for the encouraging remarks.

The height this model is 175mm (ie 85ft scale size in old money).  This is quite a large building, but some example coal towers were very much taller.

Apart from the ramp and hoist there will be attending buildings to be designed and built.

Cheers
Bill

upnick

Excellent modelling  look  forward to seeing it  & accompaning  buildings on the  layout   :D

tadpole

Quote from: tadpole on October 10, 2011, 08:09:29 PM
Just before going on my holibags, I won a mishmash of 6 converted coaches, spares/repairs, on eBay. Turns out these are reasonably expert but unfinished representations of a 2HAP and a 4EPB in BR blue/grey.

It's happened again - only this time it's a 4VEP!  :D
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160673692924?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It's a different seller, but I suspect they came from the same original source. Although the 4 bodies are lengthened and the window arrangements have been done and look suitably veppy, they're in a much earlier state of completion and will be more of a challenge to complete, and I'll need some donor vehicles. They'll need roofs, glazing, undercarriage and painting. I have NSE and blue-grey VEPs already, so this will be all-over blue.

There are a couple of other suburban coach shells for which a cunning plan is forming in my slightly hung over little brain  :evil:

Photos to follow.

bees

Hi All,

I am constructing a small layout called Nathayle Town measuring 40cm x 100cm inside a cabinet that is all powered through 1 cable from the wall.  Lighting, analogue control and point motors too.

The rolling stock comprises of DMU's - 3x101's, 121, 123, 128 and 155
                                        Loco's - a few Shunters, 2x31's, 2x47's, a few Lima 86's and 87

Mostly repaints although the 86's have had to be repaired first, not too sure if i have 2,3 or 4 working!
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Fifer

I ran into a kit a friend had and have a place and need for it. It is a Minikits Chemical Plant. Pretty old as the box retail was $3.98.
Here is the progress so far. I have stuccoed all the structures and will be adding the shown details as well as some buildings from a Model Power Railroad Maintenance yard and North Island Refinery to complete the scene.

Mike
"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
I wrote 'happy'.
They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life."
-- John Lennon

Newportnobby

Nice work, Mike :thumbsup: Can I please ask what you used to stucco the buildings?

longbridge

Nice work Mike, it looks like a very nicely detailed kit
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Fifer

Quote from: newportnobby on November 14, 2011, 08:02:15 AM
Nice work, Mike :thumbsup: Can I please ask what you used to stucco the buildings?
Thanks NPN , I use Arizona Rock and Minerals Paving Powders mixed with cheap acrylics and stippled on.
http://fiferhobbysu770.corecommerce.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=16201
Mike
I wrote 'happy'.
-- John Lennon

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations