Graham Farish Wagon Axle Size

Started by lner jp, July 09, 2020, 04:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lner jp

Hi

I'm looking to convert some Graham Farish modern wagons to 2mm and my cheap vernier is a bit iffy, does anyone know the standard axle width to make sure I buy the correct replacement axles?

Cheers
JP

njee20

Not answering your question, but the 2mm Scale Association will turn down N gauge wheelsets for £1 an axle. Probably more cost effective than replacing.

Izzy

Quote from: lner jp on July 09, 2020, 04:55:16 PM
Hi

I'm looking to convert some Graham Farish modern wagons to 2mm and my cheap vernier is a bit iffy, does anyone know the standard axle width to make sure I buy the correct replacement axles?

Cheers
JP

They 'use' to be a standard width of 15.2mm and the 2mmSA provide wagon/coach wheels on this axle length for that purpose.

But.....in recent years the new Farish wagons/coaches released often now have lengths made to suit the particular wagon/coach, and so it varies quite a bit. Often there is not a length to match them. In this case several people, and I am one, fit the 2mmSA brass pin-point bearings and use the standard 12.25 axle length, fitting the bearings into packing pieces - plasticard - to get the right width for these axles.

Izzy

lner jp

The closest size I have come up with is 14.2mm so I have ordered some of them for now, I do like the sound of using bearings as descried by Izzy and I think it's something to progress to once I've found my feet. I always wounder if the axles will wear the plastic over time without proper bearings.

JP

bluedepot

i need wheel sets for an spa wagon...

nothing i buy seems to fit it...

if you have any redundent wheel sets with the right length axle for these please let me know jp!

tim

lner jp

Would that be a Farish SPA? and in 2mm or N gauge?

JP

njee20

Quote from: bluedepot on July 20, 2020, 02:25:42 PM
i need wheel sets for an spa wagon...

nothing i buy seems to fit it...

if you have any redundent wheel sets with the right length axle for these please let me know jp!

tim

Aren't they just their 5.5mm wheelsets? Weirdly they don't sell the disc wheelsets separately (the disc wheels are 6.2mm ones), but the three-hole ones are virtually indistinguishable once fitted.

crewearpley40

Farish 379410, 411, 412 are the items to check and yes 5.5mm 3 hole discs are ones you need

bluedepot

yes to fit a farish spa and n gauge wheel spacing

thanks i'll buy some 3 hole 5.5 mm wheels and see if they fit!

cheers

tim

crewearpley40

Quote from: bluedepot on July 22, 2020, 04:55:59 PM
yes to fit a farish spa and n gauge wheel spacing

thanks i'll buy some 3 hole 5.5 mm wheels and see if they fit!

cheers

tim
try bob russell at https://www.farishnspares.co.uk/        or ken at john dutfield who does n gauge bits, very helpful

bluedepot

njee20

They're sold by Farish in bags of 10, last time I wanted some I found someone on eBay selling pairs. There was a premium (IIRC it was £3 for 2 axles), but potentially better than having a load of spares you don't need.

crewearpley40

Quote from: bluedepot on July 23, 2020, 04:51:03 PM
thanks will do

tim
tim. John dutfield is marginally cheaper and sends them within 48 hours

bluedepot

hi

the axles arrived, but don't fit the spa! the axle rods are too long.

can anyone suggest alterntives available to buy thst will fit?

cheers

tim

crewearpley40

Tim. Try bob at farishnspares https://www.farishnspares.co.uk/   be interested which  ones you purchased

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations