Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailGooner

Quote from: Papyrus on March 16, 2018, 06:02:27 PM
If you are not a dog person, this is not for you...

I disagree Chris. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

austinbob

Good result. Dogs are wonderful. We're looking to get another greyhound to fill the gap opened up from the demise of our last rescue greyhound
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Delboy

Hi Chris
Thanks for sharing your good news
For me you cannot measure the joy our dogs give us and I share your relief that yours is not ready to stop that at the moment
Best wishes
Dennis & Gnasher
Her name is Dolly actually
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

tutenkhamunsleeping

Heart-warming news, Chris.  We had a spaniel who survived what I thought was a one way trip to the vet on not one but two occasions!  Every extra day is a minor miracle :thumbsup:

I'm thinking of getting rescue greyhounds next time around 8)

austinbob

Greyhounds are incredible dogs. Quiet (very rarely bark). Shed hair very little; very affectionate: Easily house trained: So beautiful in shape and demeanour.
Contrary to popular opinion they don't need a lot of exercise, maybe half hour walk/run twice a day. Must be on lead unless properly recall trained. But.. If you can let them safely off the lead then to see them run is a joy to behold.
Be prepared to lose your sofa to hour favourite hound.
When they get older, prepare to mortgage your house to pay for dental care, arthritis and dodgy joints.  BUT... once you've had a greyhound you'll be hooked.  :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

Quote from: RailGooner on March 16, 2018, 06:13:41 PM
Quote from: Papyrus on March 16, 2018, 06:02:27 PM
If you are not a dog person, this is not for you...

I disagree Chris. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

I'll second that. I'm a cat lover and no great lover of canines but that was a very touching story.

Papyrus

Quote from: austinbob on March 16, 2018, 08:23:14 PM
Greyhounds are incredible dogs. Quiet (very rarely bark). Shed hair very little; very affectionate: Easily house trained: So beautiful in shape and demeanour.
Contrary to popular opinion they don't need a lot of exercise, maybe half hour walk/run twice a day. Must be on lead unless properly recall trained. But.. If you can let them safely off the lead then to see them run is a joy to behold.
Be prepared to lose your sofa to hour favourite hound.
When they get older, prepare to mortgage your house to pay for dental care, arthritis and dodgy joints.  BUT... once you've had a greyhound you'll be hooked.  :beers:

I've always had a soft spot for greyhounds, but my wife's not keen on short-haired dogs. Also we have a cat, who is quite happy to boss our 3 dogs around but I think a greyhound might be too much, even for her!

Thanks for all the replies, folks. The old boy is still doing well. So well, in fact, that we felt able to put him in the back of the car and take him and the girls into his favourite caff in the village where they give them treats and we traditionally sacrifice a corner of toast. The blood test said he was anaemic, so we are feeding him cooked liver!!

Cheers,

Chris

Newportnobby

When you're smiling, when you're smiling, the whole world smiles with you :music:

Skyline2uk

I would happily describe myself as an "Amimal" person, having been raised by a mother who simply didn't dislike any living creature.

Fast forward to her early "Ahem" ies when she was found holding a large Mexican Red-Kneed Tarantula at the invite of London Zoo.

I also found above story very moving, despite never owning a Dog.

Anyway, like @newportnobby , I own cats and thought the forum would enjoy this photo taken on Thursday night:

At first glance these two (brother and sister) are working as a cunning team. Until you realise that the larger lump (Brother, Nimitz) is actually making no use of his smaller (Sister, Crumble) sibling as a height boost at all.

Skyline2uk

Newportnobby

@Chris in Prague
I'd just like to thank CiP for sponsoring John McPhee in the Moto3 class of MotoGP :thumbsup:

https://johnmcphee.co.uk

Train Waiting

:laughabovepost:

And our CIP is very welcome to sponsor my old Nortons!  Team Stationary, I'm afraid.  The Oxford Diecast 'AA' motorcycle combination (a BSA 'M20') on my layout has moved more than my 1:1 motorcycles for the past few years.

Stay Upright!

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

The Q

A  year ago I was  told I could get 'ologist added to my work title if I did certain courses as I was grade 4.. I pointed out I was only grade 2, but HR kept saying to my boss I was a higher grade than the others.
This year a certain person in HR has left, and after further researches by my boss he realised HR was Lying.
So I have now been promoted to Grade 3, not enough to get my 'ologist. but a step higher..

Bob Tidbury

Im a very happy chappy even though my best loco a Dapol class 22 is now as dead as a dodo Hailstone managed to get me a set of the Maplin screwdrivers and then took.me over to Abindon show on Saturday and I spent a bit more birthday mony on one of Osbornd Models Green Godesses its now been fitted with windows allready also picked up a Jowett Javelin car from the clubs second hand stall .
We then went over to Sindlesham to the Bag Laddies club running day in the afternoon what a lovely friendly bunch of guys they are , they made me feel very welcome with coffee and biscuits I wish I had a car of my own and could afford to join their club as a full member instead of  relying on.Alex to take me there   Alex allso knew I was on the lookout for some of the old Graham Farish suburban coaches and gave me four excelent coaches for my birthday so now I can run a few diferent suburban s trains that can actually stop at the station instead of just passing through.
Just goes to.show how many friends I really do have on this Forum .
Bob Tidbury 

Jerry Howlett

Lovely to hear of your day out Bob.

I have just had a glance through some of Today's unread posts and was just thinking about going outside and standing in the rain to cheer myself up. 

It was great to read a truly "Happy Thread".   As for Alex, he needs to get out more anyway  :D :D

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Newportnobby

Quote from: The Q on March 19, 2018, 12:31:40 PM
A  year ago I was  told I could get 'ologist added to my work title if I did certain courses as I was grade 4.. I pointed out I was only grade 2, but HR kept saying to my boss I was a higher grade than the others.
This year a certain person in HR has left, and after further researches by my boss he realised HR was Lying.
So I have now been promoted to Grade 3, not enough to get my 'ologist. but a step higher..

Surely if you become an 'ologist' you have an 'ology' ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK5-2fPyCjA

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations