What are you modelling?

Started by guest2, November 26, 2010, 09:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westie7

Quote from: scottishlocos on November 04, 2012, 01:44:48 PM
Hi Mark

Your profile says you stay in Aberdeenshire you dont have to look far for a speedlink yard try Elgin on thr Aberdeen to Inverness line! In speedlink days there was grain, containers carrying whiskey and MOD strores for the local airbases and timber traffic the yard used to have a small gantry crane!

regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

Elgin would work, also used to work in Inverurie in the days when Timber actually went by Rail. Sometimes we even got a treat of a Transrail 37 on the logs
Might have to use some modellers license to run my sparkies past such a yard  :D

Rgds
Mark

Bealman

In reference to my March 30 2012 entry on this thread, here are a few shots of the Peco Jubilee and Minitrix 9F that my friend John Baker worked on for me back in the early 90's. Firstly, look at the vintage on the box! I've had that thing for 25 years!!
[smg id=2560 type=preview align=center width=400]
I believe it was made for Peco by Rivarrossi. The motor is in the tender, and, like most of my old stock, appears to be a non-runner since I dug it out. It was originally a maroon "Bahamas" and being my only loco at the time was a tester during tracklaying and baseboard construction. It ran off the end of the unfinished boards several times, which would account for it being a non-runner. I haven't really worked on it, however.
[smg id=2551 type=preview align=center width=400]
The pizza cutter wheels are lit up nicely in this shot. John did an excellent paint job on it, re-numbering it 25713, "Reknown." He even put the go faster "not allowed under electrification" stripe on the cabside!
[smg id=2550 type=preview align=center width=400]
The vacuum pipe he added at the front can be seen in this shot. The Minitrix 9F conversion was also a brilliant piece of work, adding as he did the extra smokebox door at the front, and the side-mounted extra chimmney. John re-numbered the locomotive appropriately.
[smg id=2549 type=preview align=center width=400]
It is also a non-runner, due to being missing a small link in the side gear when I acquired it. Another modeller friend at the time, Greg Ryan, fabricated a part for me but it has never really been right. I do have high hopes for the model though, thanks to being directed by this forum to the excellent Minitrix repair site - I should be able to get hold of a genuine part.

Going or not, these models are very dear to me and when all is well again with the layout would even take pride of place as static displays in Beal MPD.

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Chetcombe

Quote from: bealman on November 07, 2012, 04:04:27 AM
In reference to my March 30 2012 entry on this thread, here are a few shots of the Peco Jubilee and Minitrix 9F that my friend John Baker worked on for me back in the early 90's. Firstly, look at the vintage on the box! I've had that thing for 25 years!!

Going or not, these models are very dear to me and when all is well again with the layout would even take pride of place as static displays in Beal MPD.

Thanks so much for posting these pictures George. They take me back to the late 1970s when my father and I had both a Peco Jubilee (also 5596 Bahamas, but in LMS black) as well as a 9F. My father died in 2010 and that inspired me to build an N gauge layout, including an engine shed devoted to some of my father's old models. As well as the Jubilee and the Minitrix 9F, I also have his Minitrix Britannia, 2 Minitrix Warships and 2 old Hymeks (white metal kits from a long forgotten manufacturer on an Arnold chassis). Almost all non-runners, but they have huge sentimental value - I will post pictures at some point when I get time.

2 of the locos have been DCC fitted. one of the Warships (which still runs superbly) and the Jubilee, which struggles. Any suggestions for a place to get this serviced would be most welcome...

Anyhow, creating a place for these old timers to be displayed on my layout was  very important to me. Thanks again for prompting these fond memories!

Mike
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Bealman

Hi Mike

Thank you so much for that. To me this is why this forum is brilliant. I am so glad that my post brought back nice memories. I am just going through my stock boxes after all these years and am also finding memories. I know that somewhere in the back of the drawer there will be a Minitrix German chassis posing as a 'Mallard' but what the hell, it was the only Mallard we had back then! Into boot my late father-in-law bought it for me and would sit out in the garage with me on a late summers afternoon here in NSW watching me building my layout. With a beer in hand, by the way!  :beers:

Thank you for your kind response!

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

scottishlocos

Quote from: westie7 on November 04, 2012, 05:27:12 PM
Quote from: scottishlocos on November 04, 2012, 01:44:48 PM
Hi Mark

Your profile says you stay in Aberdeenshire you dont have to look far for a speedlink yard try Elgin on thr Aberdeen to Inverness line! In speedlink days there was grain, containers carrying whiskey and MOD strores for the local airbases and timber traffic the yard used to have a small gantry crane!

regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

Elgin would work, also used to work in Inverurie in the days when Timber actually went by Rail. Sometimes we even got a treat of a Transrail 37 on the logs
Might have to use some modellers license to run my sparkies past such a yard  :D

Rgds
Mark

Hi Mark

If you have sparkies then the small rail to road transfer depot at Law Junction may provide inspiration i am sure at least one siding there had wires up!

kind regards

Dave

westie7

Dave

Thats what I had in mind, an electrified loop off the main with a few wireless sidings.
Always remember the sign stuck on the fence at the neutral section outside Salkeld St just before GLC, "Electric Traction must not enter no.2 Parcels Siding"
Wonder If its still there

Mark

bigbear

I'm actually getting on with my long-time-in-the-planning GWR/WR layout with mainline andf branch running. I've decided to model 1948 - 1950 -ish, Devon, as then I can run GWR/chocolate and cream, BR/crimson and cream and even a rogue SR train or two without sacrificing too much in the way of reality.
Initial traffic is: GWR 6100 with B Set (I think these didn't actually inhabit WR metals until later, but hey...), a Terrier in GWR green as a pickup goods, Hall in GWR livery with GWR express/siphon, BR Black Manor with Collet blood and custard coaches and another Hall in BR Black with some Mk1's in Blood and Custard. There's also a 57XX with more goods and a 14XX/GWR Autocoach combo to service the branch line.
Anybody got any thoughts on the accuracy of these configurations, please? I think I've got it fairly accurate, but am open to suggestions.

port perran

Sounds good except I'm not so sure about that SR Terrier in GWR Green ??
How about a 45XX prarir (Dapol do them in Black & Green).
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

bigbear

Ah. Yes. Terrier... Well, there WAS one in GWR livery, from the old WC&P, I'm told. Plus, I've already got it from those nice people at Osborn's :)

I had thought it might be better to use something more GWR, but what else could I do with my Terrier - no jokes about rabbiting, please! Hohoho.

port perran

It's your layout so if you like it run it I say.
I have a GWR branch line but I was very tempted by a terrier myself.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Cutter

Hi guys,

I am new to the forun and am returning to railway modeling after decades of doing other things, some of which had to do with ship models. My plan is to model Welwyn North c.1925-35 because I grew up in the area and commuted from the station for a few years. My father was always a big fan of the LNER and it is a great subject in a great location. And this is a fascinating era.

Since I now live in Massachusetts getting the stuff and doing the research is going to be a challenge, and I have yet to figure out where I can build the layout. But I have to start somewhere. I have chosen N gauge simply because the station is too long to model in a larger scale. This is my first N gauge project since an abortive dabble while I was at university many moons ago. Before that it was OO and before that, clockwork tinplate Hornby O!

Stevie DC

Hi Cutter,

Welcome to the forum and good to see somebody else who is looking at modelling the correct railway company in the correct period!  :D 8) :P

Us LNER lot have traditionally been a bit hard done by in terms of suitable locos in the inter war years but the situation has greatly improved with some brilliant models from Dapol and Farish recently (not forgetting Union Mills Models!). Although we could do with some nice RTR tank engines but there are some nice body kits available which would suit an GNR/LNER main line location.

For some initial research try Middleton Press: Potters Bar to Cambridge. ISBN:978 1 904474 70 8

This is not a book that I own but I've got others in the series and find that they make interesting light reading and usually (but not always) provide trackplans (maps) of the area from around the turn of the last century.

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: Cutter on December 16, 2012, 04:53:17 PM
Hi guys,

My plan is to model Welwyn North c.1925-35 because I grew up in the area and commuted from the station for a few years. layout.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Steve2912

well i am going for pre grouping around NBR (North British - Scotland) and NER (North Eastern - England) both of which became part of LNER. Pitching in around the 1920s as a preference

Former Cambrian Coast lines in BR (WR days).
If I ever get a layout anywhere near finished, it would be interesting to look at back-dating it - either to pre-WW2 under GWR ownership, or pre-WW1 in Cambrian days.

Brian

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations