Nobby's mental breakdown

Started by Newportnobby, December 30, 2021, 04:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

@ohlavache
Your parcel from France arrived today (quicker than post within the UK) and all is well with the items. No pics as they are the same as the ones from Rails I posted yesterday apart from different running numbers but just to show I have them................. :)

News from Osborns, too. Michael called me to say they had received the Hymek from Dapol so that and the 2 Farish items 374-640 and 374-632A will be in the post today. I appreciate some have had difficulties with Osborns but they have been extremely helpful to me and any delay with the Hymek has not been of their making.

That just leaves the 2 Farish items on pre order with Rails and Lord only knows when they'll be available, probably not even Farish themselves ::)

crewearpley40

I'm also awaiting 374045. Anyway look forward to seeing the rake run

ohlavache

Newportnobby

As promised by Osborns their parcel arrived today with 2 coaches and the Hymek.

Farish CCT 374-640 factory weathered followed by Farish Bogie B NFV 374-632A factory weathered

And, of course, the little beauty that kickstarted the whole project thanks to @Chris Morris

Dapol 2D-018-010 chromatic blue Hymek D7036 with SYP

The loco will be lightly oiled and then tested on my running in oval tomorrow and that wraps up what is available until Farish release the 374-045 and 374-587.

Thanks for reading this aberration from my usual transition era modelling

crewearpley40

Mick  one other van which will suit Peco NR9B / dapol 2F019003 if interested. The model centre may have in stock. Looking good all those items post person is delivering.

Newportnobby

Quote from: crewearpley40 on January 14, 2022, 08:01:51 PM
Mick  one other van which will suit Peco NR9B / dapol 2F019003 if interested.

Thanks but I'm not keen on the light blue rather than the darker shade of BR blue

crewearpley40

The dapol van would look good. I have e mailed hattons re availability though its a rarity

Newportnobby

Somewhat disappointing morning on 2 counts.
1. The Hymek is just as, if not more, noisy as my other Dapol locos. I swear in one direction it's noisier than my vacuum cleaner! It was given a light oiling as per the instructions. The bogies are such a tight fit I'm scared to use more force to get at the bushes. If I was going to run it more often than my usual era stuff it would be going back to Osborns, but the occasional outing is all it will see.
2. My Farish 374-890 Stanier Full Brake won't traverse 282mm curves without derailing. It seems something is preventing the bogies from swivelling enough, so that will need some investigation.

Here's a (poor) vid owing to no focus tracker on my camera and lighting unfit for filming in my kitchen.....

The Blue Train by Mick Hollyoake, on Flickr

crewearpley40

Sorry to hear of the issues mick. Maybe see how the 374890 runs on your main layout. Hopefully somebody could guide you in the train surgery on the Hymek and indeed the van. May just be the pin in the bogie if there is one or a gentle wiggle.

Bob G

Stiff bogies suggest that the metal pickups that conduct the power to the motor are bent and/or fouling the bogie wipers.
Hymek bogies are a simple pull out and should be no problem at all to remove  :D
Then you can test the free running gears at the same time.

You shouldn't tolerate tight bogies Mick.

Bob

PLD

Quote from: Newportnobby on January 15, 2022, 11:54:34 AM
2. My Farish 374-890 Stanier Full Brake won't traverse 282mm curves without derailing. It seems something is preventing the bogies from swivelling enough, so that will need some investigation.
Assuming you've checked that the wheelsets are in correctly and rotate freely, the next thing to look at with the Staniers is whether the coupling mounting moves freely to both sides and self centers when uncoupled.

Newportnobby

It would appear this coach is one with the coupling socket mounted on the body, not the bogie.
This restricts the movement of the bogie. I have tried free wheeling it on my main layout's 304.8mm curves and it sails round with no issues.
If mine is representative of the bulk I am surprised Farish have produced a small length of coach which will not like 1st radius curves one bit.

PLD

Quote from: Newportnobby on January 15, 2022, 04:33:27 PM
It would appear this coach is one with the coupling socket mounted on the body, not the bogie.
This restricts the movement of the bogie. I have tried free wheeling it on my main layout's 304.8mm curves and it sails round with no issues.
If mine is representative of the bulk I am surprised Farish have produced a small length of coach which will not like 1st radius curves one bit.
As per above Mick, if the coupling mount is articulating correctly, the coach will go round a 9in curve (Peco R1 Set track)...
The mounting should move side to side allowing full free movement of the bogie... (and spring back to centre if you let go)

Newportnobby

The Hymek is heading back to Osborns for replacement (they've sent me a returns label)
It's had a couple of hours running in each way and not improved, and I'm not prepared to damage it by excessive heaving at the bogies to remove them.

Bob G

Probably the best thing to do with a new loco Mick.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations