what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

porkie

Quote from: AndyRA on November 18, 2023, 04:53:16 PMJust finished splicing some video together taken over the last week or so, running to about 25 minutes of 'train watching'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X54OMtQ5QuA

That's awesome  :thumbsup:
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

porkie

Trying to pluck up the courage to make my N brass OHLE masts  :o
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

Newportnobby

What a wonderful 25 minutes that was, Andy. Although your layout is set further south, the sights and sounds reminded me so much of Bletchley (I had a girlfriend there and commuted a lot between Wolverton/Northampton and there). Although no great fan of corporate blue I did really like the reversed out Pullmans.
The sounds also reminded me of the excellent 'George Street' with the super recordings of Chris Eve.
Cracking film.

crewearpley40

Loved the Manchester Pullman sets
Love everything about the layout and even realistic AC Electric
Sounds

Bealman

Yes, it is reminiscent of the George Street layout. :thumbsup:   However, this layout is awesome, and of course the BPs in negative require no comment from me  :drool:  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

BR Signalman

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 18, 2023, 10:21:05 PMAlthough your layout is set further south, the sights and sounds reminded me so much of Bletchley (I had a girlfriend there and commuted a lot between Wolverton/Northampton and there).

May have been possible you put your life in my hands then! Especially as I worked all of the Northampton boxes as well. Scary thought!!

Really took me back years. I worked Watford Jn, Bletchley and Rugby PSBs. Bakerloo services didn't run past Harrow when I was in Watford. Bletchley was my last post as a signalman before I became a Signalmans Inspector in 1982. Also loved the clip on another video of the original DC line signalling. Superb detail. Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane.

AndyRA

Another week spent doing some more video clips and merging them into a longer Youtube version, running to around 27 minutes this time, plus the non-DCC sound additions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHfarBLRn2M
If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

zwilnik

Making a concerted effort to redo the problematic far corner properly. I've cut back the board so I can actually reach the track at the back. Laid a new surface board on it so it's properly braced and flat and taken up the Kato track and replaced it with Peco flexi (code 80 as it's hidden). Soldered and with extra power droppers added.

For the upper layer I've 3D printed brackets and track bed plates so I've been able to construct a rigid flat frame to lay the track on (new flexi track replacement again)

In theory if I've got it all right, it should be much smoother running around that section, fewer power loss or derailment issues and easier to access all lines if anything does go wrong.

crewearpley40

Another super video. We appreciate you posting
 Andy and its brought happy memories

Chris

Webbo

Very good Andy. I love the sound effects.

Webbo

Greygreaser

We've moved! Not directly to Kent but into a holiday cottage in Reedham Norfolk as the legal ping-pong continues to delay the purchase of the next property :thumbsdown:
The layout together with furniture and fittings is in the double garage attached to the property and the stuff is packed neatly from floor to ceiling. The removals guys led are by a Scot named Jason who styled his business "The Flying Scotsman" - who else would you get to move you eh!? :claphappy: he is going to complete the move to Kent - does that make it a 'charter special'?
With nothing much to do I've been looking at numerous layout designs and multiple exhibition reports to glean some ideas that might make for a more interesting vista - not yet been inspired though!
Are we obsessed with the idea that every railway line is straight?
And that every layout must use the periphery of the baseboard to gain the largest radius curves
And that its OK to come off a curve/bend directly onto a straight
And that tunnels are always obligatory on the end of the viewing area
And that bad joins give realism to running trains
And that uncoupling is a pain
And that trains never stop in stations
And that sidings are rarely used
And that backdrops are 'in progress'
And that 'bad runners' are cured by notching up the speed
All of which make me think of my first Hornby oval!

Waits for the 'incoming' :doh:

So i aim to review my layout once i can get to it again and try to resolve as many of the non-prototypical elements - as some of these were considered in the planning of Readum Junk-shun it might be possible to get closer to reality.
For starters i have tried to incorporate transition curves by using flexitrack and I've added a bit of super-elevation where it might show. The track plan follows the prototype which includes curves and alterations to the point work and number of sidings since GER days, very little of which is straight.
I'll test the track to death or glory to resolve bad running and incorporate some system for easy uncoupling. The block system of control will enable every train to stop in the station and the sidings and points are all powered ready to run.
The backdrop is bought, the trees are graded by size to give a bit of 3D effect and the West end will NOT have a tunnel 'exit'!
Finally i might just have the control panel 'out front' so viewers can see how it all works - the umbilical cables are already long enough to work from the front or back of the layout.

Just goes to show that idle hands and brain have no place in real life!
In case I don't get to post again have a great Xmas and happy N-ew year to all
Cheers Chris
A jack of all trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

AndyRA

Just finished joining up a few more bits of video from the past week or so into a longer version. Doing, and editing the pictures are almost as therapeutic as running the trains :confused1: . Still adjusting the sound effects, very much a 'work in progress' as far as that goes as each video is finished. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CWDOapePqg
If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

crewearpley40

Thanks Andy for a lovely video and happy memories with realistic loco sounds..

Chris

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations