logging off doesn't seem to work

Started by guest10040, May 16, 2022, 03:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest10040

has anyone else found problems with logging off ?

a couple of times I've logged off, then got the login screen, but closed the window.
when I have next used the favourites link to go to NGF, I've found I'm already logged on.

this morning I did the usual, sign in, read my unread posts, marked all posts read, and logged off.

the window then showed the login screen, and I closed the window.

the computer was then shut down as we were out for a while, and when I switch back on, and used the link for NGF, it opened as me being signed in, and let me go straight to unread posts.

no wonder my activity is such a high % if the system does not actually log me out when I select 'logout'

any ideas anyone ?

ntpntpntp

TBH not sure why you'd ever want to log off?   

I keep mine signed in all the time, I only ever have to log in again sometimes after a forum software update.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

emjaybee

Quote from: ntpntpntp on May 16, 2022, 03:50:50 PM

:laughabovepost:

Beat me to it!

It's the "Hotel California" log in system....

:read2:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

guest10040

in my alter ego,  :-[ I used to stay logged in, and the computer was on all the time, just put it to sleep overnight, but these days I worry about how much of that expensive lecky stuff it consumes, so I tend to be 'green' and just power up when I want to do something on it.

I'm just grateful it's not powered by either gas or diesel [now £181.9 a litre at the local Tesco]

dannyboy

In the top left (ish) corner of the log in screen is a box where you can state how long you want to remain logged in. I am presuming you have it set to 'Forever'.  :hmmm:. I have mine set that way, just so I don't have to log in every day.
Addit:Your last post just beat mine. I switch off the computer every night, but do not have to log into the forum when I power back on.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

guest10040

I did try setting that to 1 hr, otherwise I'd be on here all day, but it always seems to reset itself to forever.

I'll try it again.

glad you are back, did you get a new joke book while you were in foreign parts  >:D

dannyboy

Quote from: Redcap244 on May 16, 2022, 05:46:48 PM

glad you are back,

:thankyousign: I must have missed all the other 'glad you are back' posts  :hmmm:

Quote from: Redcap244 on May 16, 2022, 05:46:48 PM
did you get a new joke book while you were in foreign parts  >:D

No, but I am going to Enniskillen next Saturday, so I might treat myself.  :)
David.

guest10040

:*( :*( :*( :*( :*(

only joking  :hmmm:

lets say you were missed  >:D

dannyboy

No I wasn't. My brother can be, let's say, a bit of a skinflint. He let me have a drop of whiskey on the Sunday and Monday night, but would not get the 'Jura' out until Tuesday night, (my last night at his house), and even then he poured me my measure!  :*(.

Oh..... sorry ..... you said "missed".
David.

guest10040

JURA !!!!

is that the one that tastes like a decent whisky that's been soaked in peat from a bog ?  :hmmm:

I'd say he was kind to keep that till the last night, though no doubt some will disagree  :beers:

joe cassidy

Jura ? Surely that comes from the French/Swiss border region ?

You must be confusing it with Laphroig from Islay, flavoured with seaweed.

Newportnobby

Quote from: joe cassidy on May 16, 2022, 09:38:55 PM
Jura ? Surely that comes from the French/Swiss border region ?

Non!!
It's a single malt Scotch :P

Alan Kyte

Quote from: Redcap244 on May 16, 2022, 03:13:10 PM
has anyone else found problems with logging off ?

a couple of times I've logged off, then got the login screen, but closed the window.
when I have next used the favourites link to go to NGF, I've found I'm already logged on.

this morning I did the usual, sign in, read my unread posts, marked all posts read, and logged off.

the window then showed the login screen, and I closed the window.

the computer was then shut down as we were out for a while, and when I switch back on, and used the link for NGF, it opened as me being signed in, and let me go straight to unread posts.

no wonder my activity is such a high % if the system does not actually log me out when I select 'logout'

any ideas anyone ?

You are being logged out but then you must have the setting to automatically log you in, so when you go to links to the site its automatically logging you back in.
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

Trainfish

Quote from: ntpntpntp on May 16, 2022, 03:50:50 PM

Some may wish that @Redcap244 logged off more often  :P
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

guest10040

you can go off people, you know  :*(

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations