enamel varnish over acrylic paint

Started by Browning 9mm, January 28, 2023, 08:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browning 9mm

due to an administrative error, ie I cocked up, I have run out of acrylic gloss varnish to spray on some wargames vehicles which have been painted in acrylic paints, to give a good base for transfers ?

can I use enamel gloss varnish or will that react with the acrylic paint ?

emjaybee

Hi Alan.

Before using any 'unknown' combination of paints, I always try out on a similar piece of scrap material. A hard learned lesson! Regardless of whether people say "one over the other is fine, but not J over R etc., etc.,".

Best regards,

Michael.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Browning 9mm

:beers:hi Michael,

a good idea. I've got a spare turret painted in acrylic I'll try a coat of the enamel varnish on that.

paints and varnish are both Humbrol.
regards
alan

emjaybee

In my, somewhat, limited experience, it pays to test each can with the other, even when buying the same brands as before. I had one case where they'd obviously changed the formaulation a bit...

...carnage!!!

Came out like a crackle-glaze vase. Thank heavens for a ultrasonic cleaner and IPA!
Brookline build thread:

Platy767

Quote from: emjaybee on January 28, 2023, 09:25:57 PM
Came out like a crackle-glaze vase. Thank heavens for a ultrasonic cleaner and IPA!

Wasn't Humbrol Clear Gloss, was it? I've noticed crackle glaze on my latest project. I think it has developed after decal application and re-coating.

Thanks,
Mark
Added a photo of my crackle finish.
Incidentally, I have used the same bottle of Humbrol Clear Gloss before without this happening, even over the same paint on a previous project. I am not sure what I have done wrong or if there is an interaction with Microset/Microsol, which I have used before. The only thing it has been hot in Sydney and I have not yet added a matt Clear, which I normally would do.

emjaybee

Quote from: Platy767 on January 29, 2023, 02:43:43 AM
Quote from: emjaybee on January 28, 2023, 09:25:57 PM

Wasn't Humbrol Clear Gloss, was it? I've noticed crackle glaze on my latest project. I think it has developed after decal application and re-coating.

Thanks,
Mark

No, sorry. All my rattle cans are/were obtained from Halfords, the motorists shop.
Brookline build thread:

martyn

I now don't use Humbrol rattle can varnishes as two separate cans bought some time apart both came out crackly.

I now use Revell, which, for me, has produced good results. I likewise use Halford's car sprays for primer, and if there's a suitable colour, for body sprays.

Martyn

Browning 9mm

many thanks for the replies and comments.

purely for info, the trial has shown no problems, so far, touch wood.

the turret had acrylic Humbrol 86 olive on it, and I then sprayed a thin coat of Humbrol gloss enamel varnish onto it, which did not end up very glossy, but improved an hour or so later with another light coat.

after reading the comment by @Platy767 this morning, I then applied a coat of Humbrol acrylic matt varnish, and so far no reactions.

so looks like I will get away with using the gloss until I can order some acrylic gloss.

again thank you for all the comments.

devonjames

In these days of Amazon Prime and next or even same day deliveries why not just order some acrylic varnish and be sure of just using the right thing, even if you can't get out to a craft or model shop on a Saturday.  In the time this thread has run you could now be in possession of a bottle of the correct varnish. Surely that's better than making do.   It's £2.99 for a little pot of Valejo gloss varnish on Amazon with same day delivery by 10pm so it won't break the bank!

martyn

Addendum;

The Tamiya range of sprays are pretty good as well. Most colours are for military models, but some, such as black and various greys (and others), have uses in railway modelling.

Martyn

Browning 9mm

Quote from: devonjames on January 29, 2023, 11:16:01 AM
In these days of Amazon Prime and next or even same day deliveries why not just order some acrylic varnish and be sure of just using the right thing, even if you can't get out to a craft or model shop on a Saturday.  In the time this thread has run you could now be in possession of a bottle of the correct varnish. Surely that's better than making do.   It's £2.99 for a little pot of Valejo gloss varnish on Amazon with same day delivery by 10pm so it won't break the bank!

I have never used Valejo paints, so I'd assume I'd need to again trial to see if there was any reaction.
but point taken.

devonjames

Quote from: Browning 9mm on January 29, 2023, 11:33:17 AM

I have never used Valejo paints, so I'd assume I'd need to again trial to see if there was any reaction.
but point taken.

I just picked the Valejo one as an example because it happened to be the cheapest on a low to high price sort. There are a number of others in various sizes and various prices starting at £3.49.  Having said that I use Valejo paint and it's pretty good either for hand brushing on or using the airbrush. Amazon is great for things like that.

GAD

I have used Winsor & Newton spray on rattle cans varnish, either Matt and Gloss over decals and acrylic paints for years. The choice of Matt or Gloss being made when I knew what finish I was after. Matt takes weathering better than Gloss.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations