Solar panels

Started by Papyrus, September 17, 2021, 02:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papyrus

Picking the brains of the collective!

We have received an invite from our local council to have solar panels fitted. They are obviously having a big drive on this - they are going to negotiate a contract with a supplier, and the more people who sign up, the cheaper it will be (so they say...). We are seriously tempted - we have an ideal south-facing roof. Before we sign up, I thought I would see what other folks' experiences have been. Basically, have you had panels fitted, and do you think you got the benefit you were expecting? They are also offering storage batteries for saving your 'excess' electricity. Would that be worth it, and how much room do they take up? All advice gratefully received!

Cheers,

Chris

jpendle

There's a thread on RMWEB from someone who's had panels fitted under a similar scheme in Essex, might be worth a look.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

TrevL

Right Chris, this may take some time.
Having owned S/P's for some five years, I'll tell you what I know.
Assuming you are talking about photo-voltaic solar panels, there are two guises.

If the council are paying for them, then they will get the F.I.T. ( feed in tarif), so essentially you get "free" electicity while  they are generating, but that is all you get.  They are in essence renting your roof and paying you with electricty.

However, if you actually own the system, you will get the free electricity, plus the F.I.T.
F.I.T.  currently (for me) is worked out as follows:-  for every kilowatt/hour my system produces, they pay me about 5pence. They also deem that 50% of what I produce is exported to the national grid, so the pay me another 6pence on those. (so actually getting payed twice on that 50%).  These prices rise every year, but not nearly as fast as buying lecy from the supplier. (EG, I buy from them at 17p a kw/h, but they only buy from me at 6p a kw/h, not fair is it?)

However the government keeps moving the goalposts, so those prices may not be valid now.  People who got in early (10years ago) are getting 14p+ a kw/h, so over time F.I.T. has reduced, you may not even get 6p now, you'd have to look into that.

My thoughts are don't look at it as an investment, more like dead money, a bit like buying a car.  For me, I bought them (10 Panels) for £5k out of savings, but the interest I lost on that 5k savings, was made up by the first cheque from the lecy co., plus I got another 3 cheques, and over 2000kw/h of free electricity in the first year of ownership.  As for payback time, I reckon 10 years will do it.  As the F.I.T. payments are only going to be payed for a maximum of twenty years, that'll give me ten years of making a profit, that's if I live that long.  As they say, "you can't take it with you", and that includes solar panels, so if you move houses, no more free lecy or quarterly cheques.

So there you go, warts and all, as briefly as I could. 
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Papyrus

Wow! Thanks, @TrevL , that's very comprehensive. It will obviously be necessary to find out what the buy-back rate will be. If the rates are that poor, perhaps the storage battery might be the better bet. Ten years payback time is about what I guessed it might be - we don't plan on moving out any time soon! Time to read the small print...

Cheers,

Chris

emjaybee

My knowledge is limited, but as far as I'm aware, they also have an effective lifespan.

I believe it's around 10 years also, but I'd look into that too.

Just remember, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

emjaybee

Just checked on Google, seems I'm out of date, they're saying in 20 years, they'll still be 90% efficient.

As regards the scheme you're being offered, I refer you back to the no such thing as a free lunch.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Papyrus

Quote from: emjaybee on September 17, 2021, 04:10:20 PM
Just remember, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Oh yes! As I said, you have to read the small print!

Cheers,

Chris

Steven B

Renting roof space to a company can cause headaches if you decide to sell as the contact also needs moving to the new owners in addition to the basic title deeds of the house.

Several of these deals are also time limited (as the efficiency of the panels decreases over time). At the end of the time period you may be offered a price to buy the panels (at which point they, and the power they generate) become yours. Otherwise, they get removed from your roof with all the headaches involved in any building work.

It may be worth monitoring how much power you use, and when. Most of us don't use much electricity during the day which is when solar panels are producing their power. Have you got an electric immersion heater that can use the power?

There may also be planning or building regs considerations, especially if you live in a conservation area or it's a listed building.

Steven B.

TrevL

There is also a scheme with the batteries too. 

The lecy co. will subsidise the cost of the battery, but they expect to call on it to supply the grid in times of high demand. You pay £1500 (approx) for the privilege.

Without subsidy it's about £4500, but you get to keep all the lecy you have stored.

You pay your money, your take your choice.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

zopadooper

We bought ours in 2012  (can't remember the cost) and we have had back over £14000

GrahamB

I paid outright for mine (£4k). At the time, battery storage wasn't viable (2010).

I am currently paid 56p per Kilowatt hour with another 4p per Kilowatt hour for assumed "export".

To date it's earned me in cash, just over £7k.
I have no idea what it has saved me over the years because I haven't needed to buy electricity when the sun is shining.

Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Bigmac

Quote from: GrahamB on September 17, 2021, 05:30:49 PM
I paid outright for mine (£4k). At the time, battery storage wasn't viable (2010).

I am currently paid 56p per Kilowatt hour with another 4p per Kilowatt hour for assumed "export".

I have no idea what it has saved me over the years because I haven't needed to buy electricity when the sun is shining.

56 p per kwh ?  where do i sign ?
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

GrahamB

Quote from: Bigmac on September 17, 2021, 09:42:20 PM
Quote from: GrahamB on September 17, 2021, 05:30:49 PM

56 p per kwh ?  where do i sign ?
You can't anymore. The amount paid was reduced over the years. The only way you can get this rate now is to buy my house or a house that had solar panels fitted in 2010.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Bigmac

"You can't anymore. The amount paid was reduced over the years. The only way you can get this rate now is to buy my house or a house that had solar panels fitted in 2010."

so the elec co pays you 56p per kwh and sells the units for about 16p
oookaaaaay.

slightly off topic my energy company went bang this week ( utility point )
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

njee20

Missed that. We were with Utility Point for a while. They were rubbish.

The RMWeb thread John mentions is worth a read (it's what I came here to post), it was in the last week or two, sure a search will find it. I wonder if we'll get a similar offer, as a fellow West Sussex dweller!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations