Icons of N gauge

Started by belstone, July 07, 2015, 12:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertHound

Quote from: belstone on August 08, 2015, 11:13:37 AM
So I went onto Ebay looking for a rolling road (running in locos on a 7 foot end to end track gets very boring, very quickly) and ended up with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221846992221

That's another N gauge icon ticked off the list. Hoping it's a really early one, not the plastic chassis version.

Nice find Richard - did you get it?

Also, don't want to divert the thread away from the topic, but do consider DCC Concept's rolling road. Perhaps not the cheapest but I'm very happy with mine and they are extremely useful little bits of kit to have.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

PGN

I should add - I've just received my Bachmann Farish N class mogul (SECR livery, obviously) - and I think that this is going to become an instant icon of N gauge.

It is, quite simply, AMAZING.

I don't get too excited about over-fastidious detail, because when running on a layout you don't see it. But the detail is there for those who do get excited about it.

What I get excited about is the running, and OH! how it runs!!!

INCREDIBLY smooth, wonderful starting and even better stopping (there's a flywheel in there, isn't there??). For those who enjoy running their trains at tortuously slow crawls, it will deliver the tortuously slow crawl to end all tortuously slow crawls. For those who like their trains to belt along at a fair old lick, it will belt along at a fair old lick. And it'll do everything in between, transitioning easily and effortlessly between them, making sensible use of every setting on the controller dial along the way.

And how does it pull? Does its pulling power let it down, or ... ?

Well, let's just say I started loading it up with old Farish generic bogie coaches. 12 was no problem. 15 was no problem. 18 was no problem. At 20 I ran out of coaches. It started the train with only the slightest of wheel slippage (but certainly no spinning) and then lifted them away easily and confidently. I don't see the point in testing it any further, to find where the limit of its traction actually lies. Who runs 20+ coach trains, single headed, on their layouts?

If you have ANY excuse whatever for running one (or more) of these beautiful locomotives on your layout BUY ONE NOW!!!

That's all I have to say on the subject ...
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

silly moo

After that amazing review, I hope there will be some left by the time I can afford one 😄 the new Farish locos are very good indeed. My last purchase was a Standard class 5, also with a flywheel motor and it is superb.

Dr Al

Quote from: PGN on August 09, 2015, 11:05:11 AM
there's a flywheel in there, isn't there??

Nope, there's no flywheel. Just a smooth running coreless motor and double reduction gearbox.

At 20 I ran out of coaches

Just be careful not to start stretching the traction tyres!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

johnlambert

I should add - I've just received my Bachmann Farish N class mogul (SECR livery, obviously) - and I think that this is going to become an instant icon of N gauge.

It is, quite simply, AMAZING.
<snip>
If you have ANY excuse whatever for running one (or more) of these beautiful locomotives on your layout BUY ONE NOW!!!

That's all I have to say on the subject ...

I'm trying to resist the N-class mogul but I have to agree, on the basis of the one I saw running in my local shop, that it runs like a dream.  I do want one rather badly even though I don't think they ever worked on Western Region trains in Warwickshire in the 1960s.

Chris in Prague

Well, John, could one have worked an Inter-regional goods through to the Birmingham area? I have heard that the Late BR Crest ones are running out of stock but there are plenty of Early Crest ones (I'm still mulling over buying one). The model 'N' looks far more attractive than the full-size prototype!

Newportnobby

Quote from: johnlambert on August 09, 2015, 06:04:43 PM
I do want one rather badly even though I don't think they ever worked on Western Region trains in Warwickshire in the 1960s.

I have a couple of 'spots' of N's at Oxford in the 60's, John. Both were on passenger services from the SR.

alibuchan

The next icon of N will have to be the pendolino, going by what the CADs look like it's going to blow everything else out of the water.

Alistair

Sprintex

No pressure then Ben/Mike ;D

Actually I have to agree, if it comes up to Rapido's usual standards (and I don't doubt that with the dynamic duo above involved) then it will truly be a milestone for N :thumbsup:

Paul

Newportnobby

I'm really hoping my next iconic N gauge item will be either something from D.J. Models or the Dapol West Country/Battle of Britain. I've wanted a spam can for years but didn't want to go for the MN Farish have recently released, preferring the 'lighter' version - especially with the name of 'Spitfire'. The Dapol class 33 is also eagerly awaited but will probably be an equal to their class 26/27 so I wouldn't consider that an icon.

Bealman

Hope yer not turnin' into a collector, there, Mick....

Hope to see the new stock in operation on the layout(s)  :thumbsup:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on August 10, 2015, 10:45:46 AM
Hope yer not turnin' into a collector, there, Mick....

George

Go and wash your mouth out with soap or I'll mention The Ashes, George :P

Hyperion

What about rollingstock? Are there certain runs or sets that are sought after?
DC or DCC, that is the question.

Dr Al

Quote from: Hyperion on August 11, 2015, 01:34:21 AM
What about rollingstock? Are there certain runs or sets that are sought after?

Minitrix gresley coaches in BR Maroon are very rare and sought after - only one run of them done.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

PGN

Forthcoming icon prediction: watch out for the RTR Dean Goods, which should finally arrive in September!!
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations