Videos of Exhibition Layouts

Started by LASteve, April 09, 2019, 11:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: Buzzard on April 11, 2019, 04:32:18 PM

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on April 11, 2019, 04:09:27 PMbut being on the stand at shows it's sometimes impossible to get round to see all of the layouts ,as we have to be there to serve customers  ,and the operators of layouts at shows don't get a break to see other people layouts
Well you should do the same as a chap I've seen who despite single-manning a layout just walks away from time to time to shoot some video.

Not something I'd be willing to do as I know of one trader who has stopped going to shows owing to the light-fingered element who nick his stock :uneasy:

longbow

Living in Oz I rarely get to UK exhibitions so my thanks to those who post YouTube videos of them, notably the prolific Keith Tucker and dcc125. I assume they are amateurs and working for free, so I can only wonder at their commitment to hours of travelling, filming and editing in less than ideal conditions.   

Bealman

Yep, I appreciate any video of a UK exhibition.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bob Tidbury

I agree with Mick even B H E have had kits nicked off the stand so you have to have at least one person on the stand at all times , we had an expensive respray at one show when I was helping a couple who were just starting out in N and I was at the opposite end of the few locos we had at that show ,and we've had a few of our loco kits vanish as well .
So leaving the stand unattended is a no no .
I am allways greatful to people who photo or video at shows with or without comments  but would prefer a caption with the name of the layout .
Bob Tidbury

grumbeast

Late to this controversial party, but I'm grateful to get any footage of exhibitions as I don't get to many (none in the UK now).  While I was back in Blighty I did notice a lack of willingness of many (not all) exhibitors to engage with anyone.  I think some of this is the everyone in the middle, railway on the outside nature of the layouts. We had a bend track layout when I lived in Nova Scotia where there was no inside, all the operators were on the outside with the public with the express purpose of engaging them.  Yes, it makes things more difficult, but I think this is the main mandate of exhibiting.  Cameras and interviews introduce a whole level of complexity to this, it's just down to good manners, and an exhibitor should feel entitled to politely say they're too busy, or even uncomfortable on camera, and a potential videographer should be sensitive to their surroundings and those they wish to film.

Wait a sec, who am I trying to kid I'm just dreaming that people would be that polite! :D

Seriously, all this requires is a bit of mutual respect and consideration on all sides. 

Platy767

@grumbeast. I've heard that Canadians are that polite. So polite indeed that if you happen to bump into them, they are the ones to apologise!. Sorry, off topic.

grumbeast

@platy767 Well it's a stereotype... but yeah, generally

Whenever I've done an exhibition it's always about the public, that's the whole point, getting to play trains is it's a bonus.

PLD

Quote from: grumbeast on May 01, 2019, 06:01:07 AMWhenever I've done an exhibition it's always about the public, that's the whole point
Absolutely - the priority is to put on a show for the public in the room who have paid good money to be there; not some random bloke who unexpectedly sticks a camera in your face for the benefit of someone sitting at a computer screen on a different continent...

Bealman

Well, I am sitting on a different continent.

Twenty, thirty years ago, I'd be looking at Railway Modeller mag thinking, wow, there's that Railway of the Month at exhibition X, Y and Z. Wish I could see that!

Thanks to video and forum's like this, I can now see them.

Basically because of folks who considered someone sitting in front if a computer screen on a different continent.

And I'd like to think the guy with the video camera paid good money to get in, too.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Whether I take stills or 'moving pictures' I always ask the layout operator(s) permission and consider it the height of rudeness to not do so. OK, it surprises them to be asked most of the time but avoids many problems. I don't think I have visited a show as a member of this forum without taking pics of at least the N gauge layouts, as I work on the basis other members will like to see what's going on in places they can't access for whatever reason.
I'm sure the Admin side of the forum curses me for having so many albums but until told otherwise, I will continue with my meagre efforts at photography.
It was always dinned into me 'politeness costs nothing'. A shame some others can't live by the same.

grumbeast

Quote from: PLD on May 01, 2019, 07:42:02 AM
Quote from: grumbeast on May 01, 2019, 06:01:07 AMWhenever I've done an exhibition it's always about the public, that's the whole point
Absolutely - the priority is to put on a show for the public in the room who have paid good money to be there; not some random bloke who unexpectedly sticks a camera in your face for the benefit of someone sitting at a computer screen on a different continent...

I think I didn't make myself clear, the public includes the random bloke half way around the world, or the chap who wants to make a recording for himself, or the 4yr old with his own steps who takes some pictures with his Mum's phone who'll never look at them again.  Even the boring old duffer who insists you've got everything wrong and won't shut up, you just smile and try and politely handle the situation.  If we're to keep this hobby growing, it has to be as inclusive as possible.  There have been times I havent been able to afford even going to local shows, but I still get to live vicariously through those videographers.  All we can try and insist on is that they are polite and considerate of others.

PLD

Quote from: grumbeast on May 01, 2019, 06:27:32 PM
Quote from: PLD on May 01, 2019, 07:42:02 AM

I think I didn't make myself clear, the public includes the random bloke half way around the world, or the chap who wants to make a recording for himself, or the 4yr old with his own steps who takes some pictures with his Mum's phone who'll never look at them again.  Even the boring old duffer who insists you've got everything wrong and won't shut up, you just smile and try and politely handle the situation.  If we're to keep this hobby growing, it has to be as inclusive as possible.  There have been times I havent been able to afford even going to local shows, but I still get to live vicariously through those videographers.  All we can try and insist on is that they are polite and considerate of others.
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear either...
I've no problem with anyone taking photos or videos of layouts at shows, especially if as Mick says they ask politely first...
Quote from: Bealman on May 01, 2019, 09:04:50 AMAnd I'd like to think the guy with the video camera paid good money to get in, too.
Indeed if they have paid the same entrance fee they have an equal right as other paying visitors to view the layout. What I do object to is the very small minority who seem to think that possession of a camera gives them (or their online viewers) some form of preferential access to layouts and the right to elbow other viewers out of the way or expect the operators to perform for the camera to the detriment of other members of the public...

grumbeast

Quote from: PLD on May 01, 2019, 07:35:00 PM

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear either...
I've no problem with anyone taking photos or videos of layouts at shows, especially if as Mick says they ask politely first...
Quote from: Bealman on May 01, 2019, 09:04:50 AMAnd I'd like to think the guy with the video camera paid good money to get in, too.
Indeed if they have paid the same entrance fee they have an equal right as other paying visitors to view the layout. What I do object to is the very small minority who seem to think that possession of a camera gives them (or their online viewers) some form of preferential access to layouts and the right to elbow other viewers out of the way or expect the operators to perform for the camera to the detriment of other members of the public...
I confess I've not experienced people demanding preferential treatment, but then I've only exhibited over her in Canada, I think people can ask for time or something special, but not demand or expect it.  Much in the same way many mode railroad operators will let someone who is thinking of buying a 2nd hand loco will let them take it for a quick spin to test it before (this presumes they're not up to their elbows in ops of course!)

Newportnobby

Quote from: PLD on May 01, 2019, 07:35:00 PM

Quote from: Bealman on May 01, 2019, 09:04:50 AM
And I'd like to think the guy with the video camera paid good money to get in, too.

Sadly I have seen some of 'the very small minority' in action and they do give decent folk a bad rep. I tend to find if you have requested permission then you get more from the operator(s) on the lines of 'let me know if there's something you want a pic of and we'll run it out/stop it wherever you want'
As in life, there are ways to get what you'd like :)

GrahamB

I always appreciate being asked. It's often little more than someone holding a camera, catching my eye and asking "Do I mind"? I'll then happily set up shots for them (Within reason).

Those who don't ask can also be useful however. Have a look at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZJvYEd5X7E&t=306s My layout is in the opening shots and is the first one featured - just over the first five minutes. I now include that link when e-mailing prospective Exhibition Managers.

Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations