What are you modelling?

Started by guest2, November 26, 2010, 09:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Train Waiting

Welcome aboard; it's great to have you here!

The LMS is a splendid choice for a model and there are a few LMS enthusiasts on the Forum.

I look forward to hearing (and seeing, please) more about your layout.

Like you, this is the only internet forum that I've ever joined.

All best wishes.

John

Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

RailGooner

Hi mpickup :wave: and welcome aboard! :wave:

Thanks for introducing yourself and your layout. Of course now I'm interested and nosey enough to have to ask for picture please!

This was my first (and to date only) forum too. I think you'll find it a friendly and informative community with a terrible taste in jokes. :D :beers:

Newportnobby

Hello M, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I always believe the track plan is the most important thing to get right as, if you're not happy with it, it can become tedious and not enjoyable. I have exactly the track plan I want with Peco track. I was unable to use Kato track purely because I couldn't replicate the plan I had and wasn't prepared to make changes, so I know I have it right :)

mpickup

Thank you people, I'll try to see about a pic soon. The layout is very flat, so a bit boring, but I have 4 lines and any loco can access any part of the layout, so far! Will keep in touch. 😊

Caz

Welcome to our friendly forum mpickup and we look forward to seeing your plans.  If you post them they experienced members on here will be able to instantly spot any nasty pitfuls saving you endless hours of frustration.
:welcomesign:
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

mpickup

Thank you Caz, not sure I'm up to putting plans online, the plan has been a rough sketch followed by repeated "I've got a good idea!" and "I'll just extend the table by 2 feet". At least it all runs at the minute, fingers crossed

Vigo

Everyone probably already knows about my Inverduff layout, North East Scotland in N, so I won't bore you all with it here.

My other project however is completely different. So different in fact that it probably doesn't even belong on the N Gauge Forum but at least the track is 9mm so that's near enough for me

I've recently inherited a nice house near Alicante in Spain with a very large play room (garage) underneath it. The Management decreed that it would probably be a good place for me to build a small railway. Something to keep me out of the way and out of mischief while she worships the Sun God. I didn't need too much encouragement :D So far I have a room in which to build it, a working plan, some hand built stock and some lengths of track (still in the UK. Getting them all to Spain could prove.... interesting :hmmm:

It's very loosely based on Soller station on the Palma - Soller railway in Mallorca. I say loosely based because it's just that. No particular scale, maybe 3mm, maybe HO so for the sake of convention I've called it HOe-ish

The garage.

The room - roughly 11' x 8'

The Plan. Single track roundy, old school DC

One of these.

Four and several halves of these.

and a few wagons.

I'm working on ideas for buildings, scenics etc but as I only get over to Spain five or six times a year, it's going to be a long drawn out project.
In line with everything else I build, everything on this layout (well 99% ish anyway) will be scratchbuilt by me and my trusty Silhouette cutter.

In Memoriam: https://hadfieldsite.wordpress.com/

Latest project: San Pablo - Rural Spain in miniature (HOe ish)

Bealman

That is awesome! Keep us informed!

I love HOe!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

weave

Hi Vigo,

Looks and sounds great.

I travelled on the line from Palma to Soller in 1987 or '88? Lovely trip, lovely place and lovely little railway.

I was actually staying in Magaluf at the time, long story  :worried:, but it was nice to have a bit of Enya and get away from Motorhead for a while  :D.

Don't know where, probably Other Hobbies/Gauges, but think you should start a separate thread so it doesn't get lost.

Salud weave  :beers:

Vigo

Quote from: weave on June 07, 2019, 11:45:43 AM

Don't know where, probably Other Hobbies/Gauges, but think you should start a separate thread so it doesn't get lost.

Salud weave  :beers:

Sounds like one for the admins then.

Cheers for the comments. I can't wait to get cracking on this but I have to wait for the middle of July for my next visit :'(
In Memoriam: https://hadfieldsite.wordpress.com/

Latest project: San Pablo - Rural Spain in miniature (HOe ish)

port perran

Looks like a great project.

Can't help feeling that the Clio is a bit over scale though.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

mpickup

Wow, that looks like a project. I suspect it'll be a while before I try scratch building! You'll save a fortune on sun cream!

The Q

I've no idea if I've answered this thread before so this may be a repeat.

Originally I'm modelling EM Gauge GWR ex MSWJR,  May  1940. Ludgershall, Wiltshire. This is continuing very slowly.  I went to school there.

Then I inherited an N gauge  model railway built on Tiree in the Inner Hebrides.
This was 12ft by 2ft originally built into an upstairs room in a croft.

I've set it in 1963 , Highland Railways,  yes grouping and nationalisation never happened. And decided to style it on the Kyle line because I went to school on the line.
Modifications include
A front 10 inch scenic panel, fold up,
Two new boards making the layout L shaped 15ft by 7ft 2ft 10inch width.

I'm not intending to model Northern Ireland with yet more gauges,  even though I went to school there.

chrism

I think I must have missed posting in this topic too.

I'm currently modelling the old station at Coniston in the heart of the English Lake District.

The Coniston Railway was originally built to tap into the lucrative copper ore traffic from Coppermines Valley below the Old Man of Coniston. The line departed from the Furness Railway Cumbrian coast line at Foxfield and ran through Broughton-in-Furness, Woodland and Torver before reaching the terminus at Coniston. An extension to Elterwater and beyond was considered at one point but never came to fruition.

Although built for the copper trade, the railway carried passengers from the outset in 1859, the spur up to the copper house wasn't actually ready for use until a year later. As the copper traffic declined, the freight emphasis shifted to slate whilst tourism boosted the passenger traffic, especially when the lake steamers, Gondola iand Lady of the Lake, arrived. The Coniston Railway was absorbed by the Furness Railway in 1862 and contiinued under that ownership until the Grouping in 1923 when it became part of the LMS.

Originally built with a single through platform and a blind spur, both under a 100' train shed designed in an ornate "Swiss Cottage" style, the station was expanded from 1888-1892, turning the spur platform into a second through platform and extending the train shed to 200' - still in the same style. A third, excursion, platform was added in 1896 although it was little used due to the tight curves on it.
The station had a small locomotive yard  from the outset with a 42' turntable and a small locomotive shed used to stable the branch locos overnight. It had a small goods yard with a coal yard, cattle landing dock, a slate loading wharf and an unusually large goods shed. Beyond the station, the line only ran up to the copper house although in the 1950s a siding was added to held up to three camping coaches, which proved popular.

Traffic tailed off during the 1950s and passenger traffic was terminated in 1958, with freight traffic continuing for four more years.  Although British Railways rapidly removed all materials that were of use to them, the station itself remained, in an increasing state of dereliction, until the local council demolished it in 1968, to be replaced with a mixture of housing and light industrial units. All that can be seen now is the site boundaries (cliffs to the west and a huge retaining wall to the east) and the slate wharf and office building. Half of the wharf is now the pay and display car park but there is nothing to indicate to a casual observer that there used to be an rather elaborate station here, not even a mention on the information board by the car park.

I am modelling Coniston in its heyday - the late 1930s albeit with a little modeller's licence because some of my locos and train movements weren't introduced until the late 1940s. The model is as close to true scale as I can manage, allowing for point geometry, the need to avoid complex track across board joins and for exaggerated curves at the far ends to enable me to fit it all into an 8' length and, broken into three sections, into the car.

Here's the latest state of progress, now that most of the scenery is done and I've added all the requisite buildings;
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43692.msg572445#msg572445

Stuart B

No special era - I run an A4 Mallard in blue with some red LNER model coaches and a couple of GWR ebay specials as an express, slow train is a 4MT that SWMBO bought me with two BR red Mk1s and a parcel van bought because it was the right colour.  Only 2 rules for Devex Junction - 1. I run what I like 2.  When the train is running, the bar is open (when the train isn't running the bar is also open).  Kato track and turnouts controlled via the original DC controller and Gaugemaster Prodigy Express for the rolling stock.  Not sure what's next.  Maybe an HST in blue and yellow or a blue Deltic.  Metcalf models supplied for Christmas and birthdays by sister in law.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations