So Who's in Self Isolation?

Started by Mr Sprue, March 23, 2020, 05:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

Well we here in Japan have been enviously wondering when the latest hit series "The Lockdown" will be reaching our shores, but at long last the powers-that-be have arranged for a pilot episode to be run in Tokyo this weekend. I'm sure if it's a success we'll get the full series. Off to stock up on popcorn before the rush starts.

grumbeast

Here on the left coast things are pretty quiet (although there were a bunch of idiots in Vancouver, luckily they're a 2 hr ferry ride away from me).  People are mostly staying at home. I'm a programmer and we've been working at home for more than a week now.  We try and get out for a walk everyday and when we do see someone, people kinda do the 2 meter quickstep (a new dance craze maybe?).  My wife works from home all the time and is lonely a lot as a result so this has a silver lining for us, we are all together.  Daughter has set herself a busy schedule (including schoolwork she uses online classes for her academic stuff normally so no change there really, and she's watching and following along with the streaming lessons put out by a lot of really talented dancer around the world for her Ballet (we converted our carport into a studio for her so she's lucky she can still dance)

One thing I'd like to add, a bit of advice to those working from home, something that both my wife and I get trapped by sometimes

Don't work MORE than you would normally at work when at home.. its easy to fall into that habit and we all have to look after ourselves.

We're not totally locked down here in BC yet but its coming, our provincial medical officer seems to have her head screwed on the right way so that is a bit of a re-assurance, and just to show that we're all in this together, our local paper-mill is working double shifts as its one of the few that uses the kind of wood pulp that goes into surgical masks etc. None of its output goes to Canada, but other locations in the world.  This is a time to help each other globally even as we distance ourselves locally

G

Best of luck to everyone and stay healthy

Intercity

My wife got sent home, she is a caregiver for the elderly,

someone at work tested positive, we got a letter telling us to continue to wash our hands regularly, monitor our health and report to the medical department any symptoms should they arise (is it the virus or allergies?).

The company assures us they have our health and safety as their utmost priority, but we are still to show up for our assigned work, failure to do so is not an option

crewearpley40

I went walking today, essential chemist for mother and back to drop into the box I've screwed on her door   quick run into tesco 4 items, polite lad by the baskets would you like the handles cleaned. Yes please. 2 minutes later. Thanks tesco.  Helpful manager in aisle as couldn't find an item, back to plan b. Meds delivered. Into cooperative store, one item, noticed tape on floor , waited my turn, these 20 somethings on phone pinned in hand to ear. Sales staff refused to serve as no I'd. He rushed outside. My turn. Payment being made, numpty runs in . Sales assistant refuses to serve him. I said please respect my  space
Assistant asks him to wait behind line. Does he ? No
He did not respect me or her. What do I do. Thank the sales lady. Leave quietly. Let the sales manager in store argue. It's all of our responsibility to follow the rules
I walk out the store. Police turn up. Hi. We say hi, give space
Sales assistant called the officers over. I heard my mate was in the queue. Numpty may get a fine . He got a talking to

guest311

quick trip to chemists today for repeat prescription for SWMBO, the missing items now in.Tesco's on the way back ...

no pasta
no cooking oil
no eggs
1 x towel roll per customer according to sign on shelf,  :censored: took x 3 and got away with it
virtually no meat / chicken etc
beer / wine / spirits mullered
only expensive loo rolls
very little tinned goods
bread and milk ok

but full shelves of essentials, ie
chocolate easter eggs
chocolate easter bunnies

most of the items that are coming in seem to be finest what a surprise.

store opens at 06:00, over 70s from 9:00 - 10:00, by which time shelves virtually empty of the things most people are short of.

so instead of shopping as few times as possible I'll be back again in a couple of days to try to get the things I've not been able to get for the last 3 weeks.

saw at least three 'couples' walking round taking x3 of same items, then through different till, but saw at least one lot loading into same car.

so while the majority of people seem to be obeying the rules, there are still a few greedy  :censored: stockpiling.

joe cassidy

Had a message from Premier Inns telling me that hotels in the UK are closed until 13 April.

Newportnobby

@class37025

To ensure more people have access to everyday essentials, we have introduced a storewide restriction of 3 items per customer on every product line and removed multi-buy promotions.

We have more stock coming into stores every day, with up to double the usual amounts of key essentials arriving – but we need everyone's help: please buy only what you need, so that there is enough for everyone.

Above is a truncated excerpt from a mail I received from the Tesco CEO this morning but note it is perfectly OK to have 3 items. When I got to the till this morning with 3 packs of something I was promptly told I could only have 2 (I didn't know I had the mail until I got home)
Of course, that does not stop the Family Selfish from turning up mob handed in their Chelsea Tractor. Dad goes in and gets 3, them Mum goes in and gets 3, then son, then daughter etc. Until proper rationing is brought in the Selfish will always win out.
As for Tesco stating they have more stock coming in every day, maybe they should know you can't wipe your backside with Easter Eggs (although that hasn't been proven as far as I know :uneasy:)

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 25, 2020, 11:44:30 AM
The whole thing is very much like a science fiction film. In Leyland it's maybe not as noticeable as, rush hours apart, our roads are not hugely busy but I can imagine in any of our cities (providing self isolation is being observed correctly) the difference is enormous.

Actually to me it feels like the mid 1970s except back then we had 3 channels of TV and there was something to watch. It's lovely and quiet and you hear the sound of the odd car not the continual distant drone.

(Ok we have the internet now which is a distinct improvement)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

EtchedPixels

There is at least some sign of sense Morrisons are now doing boxes so they can scale stuff out and ship a lot more stuff to a lot more people based on actual stock. Sooner the rest do this the better

https://www.morrisons.com/food-boxes/

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Newportnobby

If the stores had everything we needed then 3 of each wouldn't be too much of a hardship but, as it is, we have to go more frequently than my normal once a week thus increasing my exposure to Covid-19. I really do think it's more a case of when rather than if my luck runs out.

guest311

Quote from: Newportnobby on March 25, 2020, 04:06:28 PM
@class37025

As for Tesco stating they have more stock coming in every day, maybe they should know you can't wipe your backside with Easter Eggs (although that hasn't been proven as far as I know :uneasy:)

while I'm up for most challenges, I think that might be one too far  :hmmm:

also, hairy beast is very fond of chocolate, though he's not allowed it, so perhaps if you're around here and see someone being chased across the fields by a husky trying to lick his derriere, it might be that I gave in and tried it  :-[

Gizzy

I wasn't required at work yesterday, and told to say at home.

However, I'm back this afternoon for half a shift. I now have a letter which states that I am a Key Worker, 'delivering critical tasks for HMG', from the Operations Director.

Last time I had something similar, was during the tanker drivers' strike in the 90's. I had a document authorising me to get fuel from Shell garages....
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

guest311

our local Tesco has a lady at the entrance with a squirty bottle and a roll of paper towel, offering to clean your trolley handle  :thumbsup:

but she has no mask, and stands next you, and thousands of others, to clean your trolley handle, which you've already pushed across the carpark from the trolley stores  :thumbsdown:

and no alcohol hand cleaner for you to use after she's 'cleaned' your trolley handles.

so, I've picked up a trolley and got the virus on my hands, shes's then been within a metre of me to clean the trolley handles, and I've then put my contaminated hands back on the handles, and when I finish with it someone else will take it, and go through the same rigamarole.

what  :censored: thought that one up ?

so, a good idea in theory, but the practice hasn't been thought through, and also she has been placed at risk.

needless to say, not a manager in sight on the shop floor  :hmmm:

needless to say, I'm sure any NBC instructor would have a field day with this.

acko22

Quote from: class37025 on March 25, 2020, 04:51:55 PM

needless to say, I'm sure any NBC instructor would have a field day with this.

Well give we known the virus is there I would have thought she would be wearing full romeo five dress banging mess tins together to warn others at the very least....
:confused1:
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

guest311

Quote from: crewearpley40 on March 25, 2020, 03:03:23 PM
I went walking today, essential chemist for mother and back to drop into the box I've screwed on her door   quick run into tesco 4 items, polite lad by the baskets would you like the handles cleaned. Yes please. 2 minutes later. Thanks tesco.  Helpful manager in aisle as couldn't find an item, back to plan b. Meds delivered. Into cooperative store, one item, noticed tape on floor , waited my turn, these 20 somethings on phone pinned in hand to ear. Sales staff refused to serve as no I'd. He rushed outside. My turn. Payment being made, numpty runs in . Sales assistant refuses to serve him. I said please respect my  space
Assistant asks him to wait behind line. Does he ? No
He did not respect me or her. What do I do. Thank the sales lady. Leave quietly. Let the sales manager in store argue. It's all of our responsibility to follow the rules
I walk out the store. Police turn up. Hi. We say hi, give space
Sales assistant called the officers over. I heard my mate was in the queue. Numpty may get a fine . He got a talking to

I'd have tasered the little  :censored:

might have restarted brain, but wouldn't hold breath.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations