A British domestic train from Kato? 800 series available from May 2021

Started by woodbury22uk, February 09, 2019, 10:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

And the photo from Keith's email this morning:

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

njee20

That be the same exact photo that's been doing the rounds for nearly a week now... Good there's 'confirmation' that they're doing both LNER and GWR, and that it'll have DCC compatibility.

It's the same exact copy Gaugemaster have shared, so it's obviously from an official source.

Quote from: Skyline2uk on July 31, 2019, 10:45:45 AM
Quote from: njee20 on July 31, 2019, 10:42:40 AM
Ironic that the 66 named "EWS Energy" has lost its EWS branding!

Quick, somebody make a special edition  ;D

(Only half joking to be honest, it's an interesting livery variation)

Skyline2uk

There are loads that have lost the EWS lettering, but most have nose end and cabside DB vinyls. Here's my effort:

Untitled by njee20, on Flickr

Dapol are doing one, but only in a bookset with three pairs of IKA Megafret wagons, which DB don't even use!

Vonzack

Really looking forward to these from KATO, let's hope they go with a PCB that accepts a Next18(s) decoder in this day and age, there's not really an excuse to do anything else.

daffy

Quote from: njee20 on July 31, 2019, 12:12:06 PM
Good there's 'confirmation' that they're doing both LNER and GWR, and that it'll have DCC compatibility.

Hardly 'confirmation' of liveries or much else other than scale, as much seems yet to be finalised and ratified, as far as my reading of 'hurdles' and 'negotiation'  goes. Like all things model rail, I shall wait and see what the order books have to offer. But 2021 isn't that far off so I'll set the budget for a possible future purchase.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

njee20

Hence the inverted commas around confirmation. It goes one step further than the blind speculation we've had to date. Will be interesting to see what is said at TINGS.

kirky

A nice bit of video from yesterday's celebrations at York.

Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

crewearpley40

Thanks kirky. Ought to be in my railtours specials page thread. Super video. Will be enjoyed by all

gc4946

My guess is that Kato will first bring out the class 800s and 801s in GWR and LNER liveries, in both 5- and 9-car formations.
The 802s will follow on from them.

"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

jpendle

Quote from: gc4946 on July 31, 2019, 05:06:26 PM
My guess is that Kato will first bring out the class 800s and 801s in GWR and LNER liveries, in both 5- and 9-car formations.
The 802s will follow on from them.

I'd agree, but as I would like the TPE liveried 802's for my layout then an 800 or 801 would be a rule 1 purchase for me.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Steven B

Are there many external differences between the class 800 and 802?

I'm not sure where/how the larger fuel tanks are located or if the higher power engine is noticably bigger at 1:148 scale.

Steven B.

Kaput

IIRC 802's have bigger resistor banks for their brakes than the 800's.

acko22

Hi All,

Been having a nosy so this is just some deductions more than anything concrete which we await from Kato themselves having spoke to some friends who work for Hitachi (One of them assembles them).

The 800 and 802 which are the Bi-Modal running variants share the same traction and control systems underfloor with the same layout of these systems, on these the layout for engines is:
5 Car - 3 engines in the 2/4/5 cars
9 Car - 5 engines in the 2/3/5/7/8 cars

However the 801 units only have 1 engine which is for emergency power for auxiliary systems and limited recovery traction movements, in operational service these purely run on overheads.

The difference between the 800 and 802 units is the formations:

5 car 800 - DPTS-MS-MS-MC-DPTF
5 car 802 - DPTS-MS-MS-MS-DPTF

@Kaput is spot on about the size difference of the Brake Resistors, but its the 800 and 802 both have the same larger resistors and the 801 has smaller ones as they will for the vast majority of the time be delivering the power generated in regenerative braking back into the network.

With this in mind if they have the licences then I wouldn't be surprised if they offer the 800 and 802 leaving the 801 units as they don't share the same external (underfloor) configurations. Plus with the 800 and 802 you get all the liveries (including East Midland Trains - as they have already stated they need Bi-modal units)

But as I say this is just some deductions from what people I know in the 1:1 scale industry have told me!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Steven B

The bi-modal class 800 and 802s appear to be the most obvious choice for Kato - they've no need for OHLE unlike the Class 801s.

I wonder how conservative they'll be. I'm guessing we'll see five car train packs but in how many liveries? Would they do GWR, LNER and Transpennine in the first batch or just stick to a single livery.

Steven B.

crewearpley40

800 and 802 broadly similar appearance etc but 802 mainly gwr has higher engine power. Worth googling

njee20

Yes, certainly based on Gareth's excellent post it appears that the 800 and the 802 are the obvious choices. I imagine a 5-car set with a 4-car add-on pack is likely. GWR and LNER seem like absolute slam dunks, TPE maybe a follow on.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations