The Farish Shed

Started by Intercity, February 24, 2019, 09:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Intercity

I may have missed something about The Farish Shed, but I was looking for reviews on some Farish engines, I seemed to recall going to the above website however today it lists as for sale by its owner, did we lose a resource or am I missing something.

Mr Sprue

I've been in contact with the site owner recently and because of the amount of content he has on the site, the host wanted to charge him more money!

Being that the site is funded out of his own pocket and of course his unpaid time, he has decided to take some leave to decide whether to carry on and of course find a less greedy host!

DesertHound

Hi Intercity

Dave is unfortunately correct with his information above. Prior to renewal of the hosting contract (approx 3-6 months prior), the site went down. I enquired with the host as to why this was and their reply was that there was too much content on the site and I needed to upgrade the account (read that as "pay more money") in order to have the site reactivated. Funny, since there was no notification of this that I recall in the original contract.

When it came to renewal, I decided not to go ahead (partly because they had already suspended the account and I did not trust their word). The site was funded out of my own pocket and was purely a resource for those with an interest in Poole Farish. I wanted to preserve the history and make it accessible for those who were interested.

I would like to get the site up and running again one day. If anybody knows someone who is willing to host the site then I would be interested to hear from them and would look to getting it back up again.

There was also a time element to keeping the site going - it is awfully time consuming to add content to such sites, as anybody who runs their own website knows.

Thanks for the kind words re the site Intercity.

Best

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Tank

Hi Dan,

Good to see you back on here.  How big in GB is the site?

DesertHound

Hi Tank

In short, no idea how many GB it was. I have sent you a PM.

Best

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

GroupC

I don't remember ever visiting the Farish Shed and am therefore unfamiliar with anything about it but it sounds like a very good and useful resource.

With that in mind, it is something that could be incorporated here, with agreement of all "stakeholders" (I really, REALLY hate that word but it unfortunately seems best in this case)? Obviously a bit of cash may have to change hands etc and agreements drawn up, but just a suggestion.

Shiney Sheff

I for one would love to see the Farish shed on here, IF possible, it was a valuable source for a lot of things which I for one, looked at quite regular. It would be a shame to loose the site, which must have had a lot of effort put into it.

Bob

Mr Sprue

Dan did a great job constructing the Farish Shed, a very informative site about original Poole chassis. Especially for those who wanted to have a go at repairing their own loco's, there were step by step guides and what spares and tools needed to keep in your toolbox.

Hailstone

I would like to personally echo what has already been said regarding the Farish shed, it is in my opinion too valuable a technical information resource to be allowed to disappear from view, I recently used it to resurrect a friends loco

Regards,

Alex

kiwi1941

Quote from: Hailstone on March 04, 2019, 12:30:55 AM
I would like to personally echo what has already been said regarding the Farish shed, it is in my opinion too valuable a technical information resource to be allowed to disappear from view

Here, here. B
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

AndyT

As all the expertise is here, one of my customers (who was an apprentice at the Swindon works and hand built an engine unit for his apprenticeship) gave me  GF engine and two coaches marked the Shredded Wheat company. Looks 1970s but that's a guess, promotional item obviously, engine is an 0-6-0 metal wheels, red gear, black cab and body. Coaches are styled on an old GWR coach although they have a continental or US look to them. This is one of those cases where the Farish Shed sounds like a godsend to novices such as I.

dannyboy

These do appear on ebay quite regularly - there are two listings at the moment. I have 2 or 3 of the engines, along with 5 or 6 of the carriages. I believe they were issued in the mid to late 80s.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

AndyT

Thanks very much! Anyone got any idea on the prototype it's based on?

Bealman

There are many references to these promotional products on the forum, such as

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=5338.msg59472#msg59472

The search function will bring up more.

Let's keep this discussion to the Farish Shed, please  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

jamespetts

It would be useful to know who this abusive and dishonest hosting provider is so that we all know actively to avoid it and strongly encourage others to do likewise.
Peertube > Youtube

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations