Vacuum Pipe, what to use to replicate it???

Started by exmouthcraig, January 03, 2019, 09:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

:helpneededsign:

Although detailing the Buffer beam you Can get pre moulded/cast brass and plastic vacuum pipes WHAT is a suitably sized and scaled product i can use to replicate this??

I am not needing it for the Buffer beam but something totally different, I just know they used vacuum pipes for it, it just needs to be a scale 25ft long!!

Any suggestions and recommendations would be much appreciated

:thankyousign: Craig

The Q

fishing line? Possibly the old braided cotton type

Karhedron

I have seen some modellers use guitar wire for this as it comes in various gauges.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

exmouthcraig

Thanks chaps, ive heard of guitar wire ill have a chat with the brother in law, he sees himself as a Jimmy Hendricks / Dave Grohl type, Rob a couple of his strings, if he's lucky i might wait till he's finished playing to cut a bit off!!!

chrism

Quote from: exmouthcraig on January 03, 2019, 09:55:05 AM
Thanks chaps, ive heard of guitar wire ill have a chat with the brother in law, he sees himself as a Jimmy Hendricks / Dave Grohl type, Rob a couple of his strings, if he's lucky i might wait till he's finished playing to cut a bit off!!!

Alternatively, if he's more like Dave Lister, don't bother waiting till he's finished  :D

Merrylee

Maybe not 100% answering the vacuum question, but a few modelling pipe/ cabling suggestions are....

Fine silicone tube, thinnest I've seen is 0.75mm, can put fine wire inside to allow it to be pre formed. Angling shops.

Garden wire with coating, usually about a 1mm. Nice and cheap from pound stores.

Electrical cables, varing thicknesses, coating can be stripped to make thinner.

Binding wire for flower arranging, this can be very fine.

I've used these to replicate conduit tubing, armour cables you see around stations and track.

Ron

ntpntpntp

Yep, another vote for flat- or round-wound electric guitar strings.   Any guitarist relative or friend will generate loads of offcuts when they fit new strings (and of course complete old strings)

Mind you, my lad being a 6 string bass player in a slam metal band uses huge strings more suited to G scale than N!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

BR Signalman

Wound guitar strings. I got mine from a music shop that had restrung some, for free. All sorts of sizes. Real beauty of these is you can pull off the windings to give the plain pipe required leading to the flexible one.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations