Power to the track

Started by Staggy1970, April 17, 2019, 08:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggy1970

Hi all, please help, my layout is a version of Peco PLAN 1b (page 13 of Peco Setrack guide) last night with 2 controllers and 2 loco's everyting ran great, tonight's with 1 Loco and 1 controller it didn't! Is that the reason, I need 2 controllers to get power to all the track (obvious really). Also what's the best way to get power to the track I'm using the Farish 379-480 power clips, eventually I'm going to drill pilot holes in the baseboard run the wires under and ballast on top, any other suggestions. I really don't feel confident enough to solder wires to the track. Thanks

ntpntpntp

Well it's a double track plan so you need two controllers if you expect to run a train on each line.

Are the track feeds indicated on the plan you followed (and that's where you've placed the feeds)?

When you tried with one controller, where did you connect it? Did you connect it to both track feeds (making sure you got the rail polarity the same?)    Did it work at all?   Did you get a short circuit?

Have you fitted isolating joiners between the crossover pointwork which connects both ovals?

With regard to the power feeds, some people buy rail joiners with pre-soldered wires. They are neat and unobtrusive, but if you're using Setrack it does mean you have to forcibly remove existing joiners to fit them.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

Quote from: ntpntpntp on April 17, 2019, 09:13:16 PM

With regard to the power feeds, some people buy rail joiners with pre-soldered wires. They are neat and unobtrusive, but if you're using Setrack it does mean you have to forcibly remove existing joiners to fit them.

I use these, and reckon they're the dogs doo-dahs

https://www.hattons.co.uk/62347/Peco_Products_PL_82_Power_feed_joiners_Code_55_80_x4_pairs_/StockDetail.aspx#15555339388932&_command=reamaze%3Aresize&_height=350&_name=_embed_0&_url=

Staggy1970

Hi, with the Peco power feed wires do you just remove the joiners between 2 rails (fishplates) they look like a much better idea thanks, how do I connect the joiners to the transformers, I'm not using isolating rail joiners, do I need too?

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Staggy1970 on April 17, 2019, 09:58:26 PM
I'm not using isolating rail joiners, do I need too?

Yes, between the crossovers.  It ensures that the two controllers are on separate circuits.   When you want to take a train across the crossover you set both controllers to the same speed and direction and the loco will cross over with no problems.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

Quote from: Staggy1970 on April 17, 2019, 09:58:26 PM
Hi, with the Peco power feed wires do you just remove the joiners between 2 rails (fishplates) they look like a much better idea thanks, how do I connect the joiners to the transformers, I'm not using isolating rail joiners, do I need too?

At a rail joint you need to remove both existing rail joiners and replace them with the Peco ones, ensuring you always use the same colour e.g. black wire on the outer rail wherever you use them i.e. don't mix them up or chaos ensues. The existing ones on set track will probably take some pulling off. If you have a track plan we can tell you where to put the wired fishplates. Just connect the ends of the wires from the fishplates to your controller, again making sure the same colour always goes to the same terminal.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations