N Gauge Society Journal -- yikes, the new editor is me, so I'll be needing help!

Started by NeMo, April 04, 2019, 09:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upperton

Quote from: Bealman on April 05, 2019, 10:46:03 PM
I must admit that when I was editor of the newsletter I mentioned earlier, the hardest task was getting folk to write stuff for publication. Like Grahame Hedges, I would often end up providing a lot of the material myself.

I've been in a similar position when I edited a magazine for a car club for several years. I did have a forum full of information that could be raided for information and articles but had to strike a balance otherwise I was criticized for using articles in the magazine which was freely available on a public forum, so why should members pay to re-read in print form? Naturally those same critics never sent anything fresh for publication so I had to get creative and write something instead.

I've been an NGS member for a year or so, and have enjoyed reading the Journal cover to cover every few months once it's popped through the letter box. I've never entered any online area of the NGS and oblivious to A4/A5Gate or any of the other stuff that goes on behind the scenes trying to run or put out the magazine.

There is a mix of photo quality but assumed that was down to the nature of the way articles were submitted and the Journal doesn't have a photographer to travel round the country for consistency like the shelf magazines can. There was an article in one of the recent Journals about Layout Photography so fair play to the out going editor too at least try and improve that area in some regard.

I wish NeMo all the best in taking on the Journal. I think you've got a very good publication to build on and look forward too seeing your Journal later in the year  :thumbsup:

moogle

Congratulations NeMo! Every new editor has bought something to the journal that has, IMO, improved it. I am sure you will bring your own 'something' to the journal and help in its evolution! Grahame bought a lot of change to the journal, for the better mainly I think. I've been a member since 1988 and have seen the journal evolve from a pure black and white publication to partially colour, to full colour and eventually to how it is now. So thank you for volunteering. Good luck!
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations