N Gauge Society Journal -- yikes, the new editor is me, so I'll be needing help!

Started by NeMo, April 04, 2019, 09:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hailstone

May I add my congratulations as well, Having had 3 articles published in the journal, when I finish my next project, I will endeavour to send another

All the best

Alex

Train Waiting

That's excellent news, Neale.

Thank you very much for undertaking this role.

Even as non-member of the society, I understand the importance of this post to our hobby.

All best wishes for every success.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Tonye

Congratulations on your new job, I suppose the first question would be A5 or A4 ?, which one do you prefer?..
Tony .H

NeMo

Quote from: Tonye on April 04, 2019, 02:44:26 PM
Congratulations on your new job, I suppose the first question would be A5 or A4 ?, which one do you prefer?..

No strong opinions.

I'm happy to hear what others think, though!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Tank

A5 for me.  I couldn't bear having years of A5 Journals and then A4 appearing.......the shelf would look odd!  :D

Ensign Elliott

Congratulations! I joined the N Gauge Society last year and really look forward to the magazine popping through the letterbox every couple of months.

I have several articles I could send in (my layout and some building projects/signals etc..), but I only have my camera phone, which I'm not sure is good enough for the pics...

I'd be quite happy to continue with A5 journals.

nookfield

Newportnobby

Bravo, Neale (Neil??). Huge respect for stepping up to the plate.
I've done a couple of articles for the forum but really don't think they're good enough for the NGS Journal. By mention of the Journal, I'd prefer remaining at A5 as I'm damned sure my postie would fold an A4 version :worried:
Maybe a poll here/RMWeb etc might give a better clue but the NGS 'Board' might have different ideas going by comments in the latest edition :uneasy:

Ditape

Good luck Neal you'll need it editing a group/society mag is no easy job.
Diane Tape

honestjudge

Portpatrick

Congratulations, or at least well done, on stepping up to fill Graham's place.  I would have to say don't try to replicate Graham's excellent efforts.  You must stamp your own mark.  The Journal is an important source of information and inspiration to me, now my only regular magazine - and I have been a member of NGS since 1984.  I agree a mix of layout descriptions and what I might broadly call modelling and construction articles is ideal.  A4 or A5 is a thorny issue.  I have no reason to doubt Graham's feelings, which clearly have considerable support that A4 is easier to edit .   But the Journal is not a mainstream magazine and I admit I find A5 very convenient, more manageable and easier on storage .  Incidentally my own practice is to keep the Journal; complete for c 2 years, then cut out articles of special and applicable interest and store them in A5 ring binders.  When I took a mainstream mag every month (stopped that 2 years ago) I did the same - using A4 lever arch files.  Now to think what to write about.  I have actually dismantled Portpatrick Town - after 12 years on the circuit it was in need of extensive overhaul - but there is Allanbrae my new contemporary Scottish offering, and I am working up ideas for a replacement for PP, steam/green diesel era.  Severely worsening Essential Tremor means I am not doing the kit building and imaginative conversions I did a few years ago. 

ChrisWV10

Huge  :thankyousign: for stepping up and good luck!

I have no preference A4 or A5. Whatever is easiest. Let's not forget this is a voluntary post and I would imagine takes significant effort just to pull together a suitable variety of different articles in order to satisfy a diverse readership and meet publication deadline. I don't think we should throw up obstacles to simplifying the editor's  task.

C. :)

tutenkhamunsleeping

Well volunteered, that man!

I much prefer A5, having learned the hard way that no postie worth their salt can resist A4 origami >:(

port perran

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Ben A

Hi NeMo,

Thanks for volunteering.

I think we can call agree that Grahame has done a good job during his tenure, and in the tradition of each editor building on the work of the last I think he has given you a strong foundation to work with.

Good luck, and I will make sure I keep you updated with any modelling developments or projects I am involved in that may be of interest to the wider NGS community.

Cheers

Ben A.
(NGS VP)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations