RIP Dave Greenfield....

Started by Southerngooner, May 07, 2020, 08:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerngooner

Another of my heroes passes away. It's not been a good couple of days - Millie, Dave Greenfield and Florian Schneider, but while Kraftwerk were influential I preferred the more punky sound of The Stranglers. They were one of my favourites and Dave's keyboards were a big part of their sound. I only saw them once, at Wembley in 1980 when they were second billing to The Who, but above Nils Lofgren and AC/DC. Typically, they were poor, troubled by poor sound......RIP Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

honestjudge

I saw the stranglers a few times in the eighties, but most recently at Southend 2-3years ago? They sounded brilliant still, albeit minus Hugh Cornwall. 
They even had JetBlack play 3 numbers, equipped with oxygen, in his wheelchair, and plugged into his kit......Rock 'n' Roll!

RailGooner

In 1977 age 14, I got a Waltham cassette player and No More Heroes for Christmas. So, yes The Stranglers have been a favourite of mine from the start of my interest in music. Dave Greenfield's keyboards were a significant differentiator from other punk bands and a big part of their appeal for me.

RIP Dave

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations