Musk launches ARK B

Started by Snowwolflair, February 06, 2018, 09:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

Quote from: themadhippy on February 07, 2018, 03:43:39 PM
How about this for an alternative.Instead of spending billions trying to colonise another planet,that no doubt in a few million years will also be ruined,we use the cash to sort out the issues that are  making earth uninhabitable,or  maybe just wiping  out mankind and giving  nature another go would be best. .

And when our sun goes supernova we just say what a shame we didn't do something.

NeMo

How about this for an alternative.Instead of spending billions trying to colonise another planet,that no doubt in a few million years will also be ruined,we use the cash to sort out the issues that are  making earth uninhabitable,or  maybe just wiping  out mankind and giving  nature another go would be best. .

It's not a zero sum game. That's the flaw in your argument. You're thinking that if I take from Paul to give to Peter, then Paul loses out. In truth the money I spend on Peter also benefits Paul, albeit indirectly.

If you design space stations and then deep space travel, you need to consider the following, among other things:

• Fuel efficiency - because fuel is so extremely valuable in space, so everything from thrust to simply keeping the cabin warm needs to use as little fuel as possible.
  • Recycling - because nothing can be wasted, not even human waste.
  • Computer design - because computers need to be extremely tough and extremely reliable to work in space.
  • New materials - because nothing tests the limits of engineering like launching something into space and resisting the extremes in temperature once you get there.
  • Human psychology - because nothing puts people under more pressure than cooping up in the same small space for months if not years on end.
All of these things have serious benefits here on Earth, from making more fuel efficient cars to working out how to make crowded cities safer and more pleasant places to live.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: Snowwolflair on February 07, 2018, 03:46:25 PM
And when our sun goes supernova we just say what a shame we didn't do something.

Like take out that extended warranty the nice man who did the crinkly bits offered ;)

davidinyork

The chances of humanity still existing at that point is pretty minimal, especially if it carries on destroying everything at the rate it is at present.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: davidinyork on February 07, 2018, 05:54:56 PM

The chances of humanity still existing at that point is pretty minimal, especially if it carries on destroying everything at the rate it is at present.

But it will certainly deal with the plastic pollution 8)

MalcolmInN

And when our sun goes supernova
Too small to do that, it will (to make a long story short !) eventually swell up to a red giant,(maybe a few times)  extinguishing all life on earth (probably! although the helium flash when it finishes burning hydrogen and starts burning helium will do that anyway ), puff off a lot of mass (into a planetary nebula) and then shrink, become a very hot white dwarf and eventually fade away.
Sort of more of a whimper than a bang :)

Snowwolflair

Quote from: MalcolmAL on February 07, 2018, 06:00:44 PM
And when our sun goes supernova
Too small to do that, it will (to make a long story short !) eventually swell up to a red giant,(maybe a few times)  extinguishing all life on earth (probably! although the helium flash when it finishes burning hydrogen and starts burning helium will do that anyway ), puff off a lot of mass (into a planetary nebula) and then shrink, become a very hot white dwarf and eventually fade away.
Sort of more of a whimper than a bang :)

That sounds even worse, time to leave. :wave:

MalcolmInN

daffy

As the Sun will certainly go supernova sometime, isn't it time they started selling tickets? :hmmm: I'd just hate to be in the U.K. if the best view is going to be from Australia.

And will there be a DVD released to commemorate the event?

After all, as someone's Grandmother surely used to say, every problem is an opportunity. :)

(Just trying to stay positive after reading some recent posts on this thread.)
  :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

MalcolmInN

Quote from: daffy on February 07, 2018, 06:09:33 PM
As the Sun will certainly go supernova sometime,

(Just trying to stay positive

I'll cheer you up then (and sorry to keep raining on the supernova parade :) ) the sun will not ! To become a Type I sn. it lacks a second star to steal mass from (
Jupiter is not big enough)
and to form a Type II sn. the sun is not massive enough itself (estimates vary / 8 to 15 times more massive)
So sleep easy in your bed, for now, but see my previous about red giants  :laugh3:

MalcolmInN

On another positive note, the CO2 'problem' will actually make the place more habitable, warmer better crop yields etc., - - for some  :o ! Shame about the coastal cities though  >:(

davidinyork

Quote from: MalcolmAL on February 07, 2018, 06:33:42 PM
On another positive note, the CO2 'problem' will actually make the place more habitable, warmer better crop yields etc., - - for some  :o ! Shame about the coastal cities though  >:(

But it will also make some already hot areas uninhabitable, in addition to flooding caused by rising sea levels - and a large proportion of major cities are on or close to coasts.

daffy

Quote from: MalcolmAL on February 07, 2018, 06:21:00 PM
Quote from: daffy on February 07, 2018, 06:09:33 PM
As the Sun will certainly go supernova sometime,

(Just trying to stay positive

I'll cheer you up then (and sorry to keep raining on the supernova parade :) ) the sun will not ! To become a Type I sn. it lacks a second star to steal mass from (
Jupiter is not big enough)
and to form a Type II sn. the sun is not massive enough itself (estimates vary / 8 to 15 times more massive)
So sleep easy in your bed, for now, but see my previous about red giants  :laugh3:

But I've printed the tickets! :doh:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Snowwolflair

But being serious, it should have been a black roadster with black panels with black switches that light up black. (before it dives into the sun) :laugh:

MalcolmInN

Quote from: daffy on February 07, 2018, 06:45:03 PMBut I've printed the tickets! :doh:
Ah! Oh dear, errr ummm, dress up in billboards*, walk up/down oxford street yelling "Doom, doom, the end is nay" somebody will buy even those who dont know it should be nigh :)

*what were those peeps called , so long ago I cant remember :)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations