'Endeavouring' to be accurate?

Started by daffy, February 18, 2018, 08:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

The suspension of disbelief is a great asset when watching programmes or films that are, after all, fictional.

BTW Mick, I too was a member of the Sealed Knot for many years back in the 1970's. My pikemans helmet was plastic, my pike was 6 feet shorter than the real thing, my underpants were polycotton, and the blood that spewed from my mouth as I lay injured was entirely fake. And when I joined the cannon crew we decided not to fire real cannon balls. But my enjoyment was very real.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

@daffy I was a cavalier pikeman in the 'Earl of Northampton's 1st regiment of Foote' and was involved in two Battles of Naseby (which I did find disconcerting owing to the resulting number of broken limbs ) and putting a guard on Warwick Castle on an open day. This was much more to my taste due to the number of American ladies who wanted a pic of them hugging a 'real cavalier. Only much later in life did I think it probably explains my cavalier attitude :D
I was eventually thrown out of the Sealed Knot having been seen riding my motorbike through the streets of Northampton in full uniform :laugh:

Not particularly off topic as it's still loosely to do with historical accuracy :angel:

Bob G

Quote from: newportnobby on February 21, 2018, 04:16:29 PM
@daffy I was a cavalier pikeman in the 'Earl of Northampton's 1st regiment of Foote' and was involved in two Battles of Naseby (which I did find disconcerting owing to the resulting number of broken limbs ) and putting a guard on Warwick Castle on an open day. This was much more to my taste due to the number of American ladies who wanted a pic of them hugging a 'real cavalier. Only much later in life did I think it probably explains my cavalier attitude :D
I was eventually thrown out of the Sealed Knot having been seen riding my motorbike through the streets of Northampton in full uniform :laugh:

Not particularly off topic as it's still loosely to do with historical accuracy :angel:
You were certainly not Endeavouring to be Accurate :)

daffy

@newportnobby
This is silly! I was a Cavalier in the Earl of Northamptons too! :o

Happy days. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

exmouthcraig

Quote from: Bealman on February 21, 2018, 07:04:20 AM
Interests me, for sure! There are many unfenced and unsignalled crossings here, but on the Nullabor Plain you can see for miles in either direction, and the trains aren't exactly frequent  :D

We are a bit busier then that Bealman,  we have 2 up and 2 down through Cross Country 2 or 3 car to Gatwick Airport and 1 up and 1 down Freightliner container stock every hour. Plus various stone trains from DBS and occasionally a few weird workings into Melton Mowbray itself. I'm sure there's lots of different goings on that I don't see but if I'm moving sheep I have to do it in cattle trailers because they only let me have my crossings open for 3 minutes at a time

Newportnobby

Quote from: daffy on February 21, 2018, 05:07:22 PM

This is silly! I was a Cavalier in the Earl of Northamptons too!

@daffy Altogether spooky, sir :uneasy:
Still, I suppose we ought to get back to 'Endeavouring' to decipher 'Morse' ;D

daffy

Quote from: newportnobby on February 21, 2018, 08:57:38 PM
Quote from: daffy on February 21, 2018, 05:07:22 PM

This is silly! I was a Cavalier in the Earl of Northamptons too!

@daffy Altogether spooky, sir :uneasy:
Still, I suppose we ought to get back to 'Endeavouring' to decipher 'Morse' ;D

Okay. So, the reggae music played at the market was by the Wailers from the early 1970's, and the Rolling Stones track playing at Joan's flat-warming was, I think, from their Sticky Fingers album, released in 1971.

And near the end, was that really, as the 'typical' trainspotter said as it approached, a 'night mail' train? Didn't look like one to me.

You see, I notice these things, but I'm very Lauren Cooper about such things.

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations