Exhibitors - what do you appreciate from exhibition organisers?

Started by PostModN66, January 14, 2019, 05:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PLD

In short; look at what Meridienne do at TINGS then do the opposite!!

Pretty much all has been said above; as exhibitors we want:

• The space we asked for - even though it's a larger total floor area, however we try, we can't fit a 16x8ft layout into a 12 ft square!
  • Reasonable catering provision - I don't expect a 5 course banquet 3 times a day, but do expect something for each regular meal time during the show opening hours. Ideally unlimited Tea & Coffee on tap, however I appreciate that at some venues it has to be sourced from a commercial supplier so a token system is necessary to keep account, however less than 3 per person per day I consider stingy...
  • Reasonable accommodation if much over an hour travel time from home. Don't expect the Hilton, - Premier Inn or similar is fine, and have stayed in some very fine local B&Bs over the years.
  • Timely payment of agreed expenses (preferably in cash) - As a Show treasurer, I aim to confirm amounts with the layouts sometime on the first day, then I can sort out cash that evening and distribute before lunch on the last day.
  • Access and Power supply issues are generally a facet of the venue and not necessarily in the direct control of the organisers, but it is helpful if forewarned of what to expect. Entry and Exit traffic jams are generally a lack of thought or cooperation between exhibitors (traders, particularly Book sellers and a certain "scrap metal" merchant are usually the worst...)

The worst stories usually involve poor accommodation...

At one show the accommodation was in a member's parent's incomplete DIY project. There were two folding camp beds in one room and a double bed in another room (refused - we're friends but not that close! so another camp-bed was found) but at least that room did have a carpet...
In the 'bathroom' the 'Hot tap' provided cold water (which is more than the shower managed!)
There was a very nice fitted kitchen (shame the gas hadn't yet been connected) but at least the toaster worked so we could do something with the loaf of bread left for us to 'sort our own breakfast'...  :thumbsdown:

For a very major show, we were once put up in a well known chain hotel, but because there were more exhibitors than the closest branch could accommodate, we were in the overflow at the next nearest...
The window of our 6th floor room nearly shut (it was November and a howling gale!). One light fitting contained the shattered remains of a bulb, the kettle produced heat from the plug but not the element, and someone had nicked the batteries from the TV remote...
Outside the room there were wires hanging from a hole in the wall where the fire alarm call point used to be...  :worried:

Another year for that same show, we were again accommodated some way from the show (approx 25 minutes drive).
This time the hotel was much better except for one thing... On Sundays the Breakfast Chef doesn't start work until 8:30. The show opened for Advance ticket holders at 9:15.  :doh:

Finally for now there was the place where rooms were available to rent by the hour, and some of the clientele taking advantage of that offer were rather vocal!  :o

Chris Morris

Quote from: PLD on January 15, 2019, 09:32:35 PM
In short; look at what Meridienne do at TINGS then do the opposite!!

That's about right. Although to be fair I have found the people helping to run the exhibition are always friendly and helpful.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Chris Morris

Quote from: bridgiesimon on January 15, 2019, 10:40:07 AM

Expenses in cash on the last day - I have been through a couple of years in the past of being VERY skint and got expenses as a cheque or even worse, once, the cheque was sent in the post a few days later (Yes it was a very big show as well, no excuse)! I used to need the money to get fuel to get home!

Paying expenses in cash makes a lot of sense for exhibition organisers. A lot of visitors still pay in cash so there is a "free" supply of the stuff. Paying cash into the bank costs so it is good to reduce the amount being paid in. Likewise cheques or BACS payments are chargeable so it is cheaper to pay expenses in cash. It does of course mean you have to have someone to prepare and distribute the cash.

Chris Morris

One thing often missed on organisers instructions but known by seasoned exhibitors. Bring your own mug!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations