Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebnoswal and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

talisman56

Ordered Wednesday 13:48 - arrived Thursday 09:35 - Kernow must be going for some sort of record...

Managed to turn them round in their boxes and take a few quick snaps before they were whisked off by SWMBO to be 'your Christmas Present'...  ::)

Got one over SWMBO this morning - a couple of high-windows I ordered from Rails arrived while she was out with our daughter...  :D
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

dannyboy

Dear Mrs. Talisman,

We, the members of the 'N Gauge Forum', feel that you ought to be made aware of the fact that Mr. Talisman has been secretly buying n gauge items and, not only keeping the details secret from you, but he is also hiding the said items from you. As we members of the 'N Gauge Forum' frown at these sort of antics and, indeed, openly condemn such actions as it is not a practice we follow, we feel you ought to be made aware of the above facts.

Yours sincerely,

N Gauge Forumites.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

daffy

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dannyboy

Quote from: daffy on October 31, 2020, 03:10:06 PM
Isn't it common practise? :uneasy: :confused1: :(

What, not telling SWMBO how much has been spent lately on n gauge stuff?

Nah.   :-X
David.

daffy

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dannyboy

Thinking about not telling is perfectly acceptable Mike - and legal.  As is intending to tell SWMBO that you have just ordered something and then forgetting.  Same when the item(s) arrive, if you intend to tell her when she gets home and, by the time she does arrive home, you have forgotten, well, you can not be blamed for having a memory like a sieve can you?  ;)
David.

railsquid

Quote from: dannyboy on October 31, 2020, 03:05:40 PM
Dear Mrs. Talisman,

We, the members of the 'N Gauge Forum', feel that you ought to be made aware of the fact that Mr. Talisman has been secretly buying n gauge items and, not only keeping the details secret from you, but he is also hiding the said items from you. As we members of the 'N Gauge Forum' frown at these sort of antics and, indeed, openly condemn such actions as it is not a practice we follow, we feel you ought to be made aware of the above facts.

Yours sincerely,

N Gauge Forumites.

Deary-me, clearly dannyboy has not read the forum policy on breaking the code of honour, aka "telling", which originally involved placing the head of an N scale horse on the bed of the miscreant, though as that was less effective than anticipated, has since been replaced by sneaking into his/her abode and replacing all his/her stock with items made by Lima.

dannyboy

Quote from: railsquid on October 31, 2020, 03:32:15 PM
Dear Mrs. Talisman,

Yours sincerely,

N Gauge Forumites.

Deary-me, clearly dannyboy has not read the forum policy on breaking the code of honour, aka "telling", which originally involved placing the head of an N scale horse on the bed of the miscreant, though as that was less effective than anticipated, has since been replaced by sneaking into his/her abode and replacing all his/her stock with items made by Lima.

You do not honestly believe that I wrote that do you?  :no: :no: :no:. I think I must have been hacked,  :worried:, either that or Louisa is not as technology challenged as she says she is.  :worried: :worried: (And if the latter is the case, I might be in a bit of bovver  :doh:).
David.

daffy

Quote from: dannyboy on October 31, 2020, 03:22:33 PM
Thinking about not telling is perfectly acceptable Mike - and legal.  As is intending to tell SWMBO that you have just ordered something and then forgetting.  Same when the item(s) arrive, if you intend to tell her when she gets home and, by the time she does arrive home, you have forgotten, well, you can not be blamed for having a memory like a sieve can you?  ;)

Thank you David for explaining that so succinctly. :thumbsup:

And for giving me the perfect excuse to blame you, my trusted advisor, should Sheila ever find reason to question my honesty in this matter.

:beers:

Now, where's that wish-list? It was around here a while ago...... >:D

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

talisman56

Dear Mrs. Talisman,

Yours sincerely,

N Gauge Forumites.

She knows I do it - I know she knows I do it - just don't make it official you *******s...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Foxhound

Quote from: emjaybee on October 31, 2020, 12:05:36 AM
Quote from: lil chris on October 30, 2020, 11:56:51 PM
Hi there, @emjaybee I bought that because I had been bidding for one earlier in the day, but not having ever done that before somebody pipped me at the last 10 sec's. I was so dissapointed I looked everywhere online for one and found that and bought it straight away. I know where there is a Peco Jubilee if you want one of those.

That's very kind of you, but I already have seven or eight BachFarr Jubilees. They're addictive. All bar one have been FleaBay purchases. I've had four repainted by our very own Ozymandias, one in crimson, three in lined black which looks superb.

When it comes to EBay bidding I've done the 'last second bidding' myself. It doesn't always work. These days I track something for a day or two, decide what price I'm prepared to pay for it and then place that bid. I've managed to finally condition myself to not going over my initial bid, but it's been difficult sometimes.

Thanks to Michael Bird I found out about an NGS Dapol Taunton Cider Ferry Wagon on EvilBay which I've wanted for a long time. Starting price was watched avidly for seven days and I placed it as my opening bid with about half an hour to go. I did have a mox price but didn't need to worry, as I only went and won it on that bid. Pics when it arrives later this week!
Rob and Becky (artistic director)

weave

Can he let me know when another one comes up for sale please  :(  :jealous:

Cheers, weave  :beers:

Railwaygun

Quote from: Foxhound on November 04, 2020, 01:43:35 PM
Hi there, @emjaybee I bought that because I had been bidding for one earlier in the day, but not having ever done that before somebody pipped me at the last 10 sec's. I was so dissapointed I looked everywhere online for one and found that and bought it straight away. I know where there is a Peco Jubilee if you want one of those.

That's very kind of you, but I already have seven or eight BachFarr Jubilees. They're addictive. All bar one have been FleaBay purchases. I've had four repainted by our very own Ozymandias, one in crimson, three in lined black which looks superb.

When it comes to EBay bidding I've done the 'last second bidding' myself. It doesn't always work. These days I track something for a day or two, decide what price I'm prepared to pay for it and then place that bid. I've managed to finally condition myself to not going over my initial bid, but it's been difficult sometimes.

Thanks to Michael Bird I found out about an NGS Dapol Taunton Cider Ferry Wagon on EvilBay which I've wanted for a long time. Starting price was watched avidly for seven days and I placed it as my opening bid with about half an hour to go. I did have a mox price but didn't need to worry, as I only went and won it on that bid. Pics when it arrives later this week!

Auctionstealer is your friend - you are allowed 3 free 15 sec bids (before closure)  a week ( or so)
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

dannyboy

I have often wondered about these sort of sites. If three people are members of the same site, all wanting one particular item and all with the same maximum bid, how does the site decide who it is going to place the bid for?  :hmmm:
David.

emjaybee

Quote from: Railwaygun on November 05, 2020, 12:20:41 PM
Quote from: Foxhound on November 04, 2020, 01:43:35 PM

Auctionstealer is your friend - you are allowed 3 free 15 sec bids (before closure)  a week ( or so)

It's an odd concept. If you're prepared to pay X amount, and that's your maximum, then it doesn't matter whether you place the bid as soon as the auction goes live, or whether you place it 10s before it finishes.

If someone 'steals' the winning bid 10s before it finishes it just means they were prepared to pay more in any case.

Sniping is just a 'thing', in reality it has no bearing on the auction result.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66