Sod’s Virus? - a novel way to reward careful isolation

Started by daffy, April 11, 2021, 12:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Train Waiting

Hello Mike @daffy

Did you get the the BoBMF's Member's Day as you hoped?

All best wishes

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

daffy

Quote from: Train Waiting on September 26, 2021, 04:32:44 PM
Hello Mike @daffy

Did you get the the BoBMF's Member's Day as you hoped?

All best wishes

John

Happy to say "Yes!", but mainly because Sheila had a good day at home with her grand-daughter Ruby. She is rather worn out today as we both expected, but it has done her the world of good.

Busy day for me today with all manner of household stuff to do, and dinner has just been classed as "very nice" by Sheila so that's a good way to end the day.

I do have some photos from BBMF Day but they are not brilliant. I'll post the best of them on a separate thread tomorrow, together with a few comments on the day there.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dannyboy

Quote from: daffy on September 26, 2021, 07:35:52 PM

Sheila had a good day at home with her grand-daughter Ruby. She is rather worn out today as we both expected, but it has done her the world of good.

Something like that is nice to hear.   :)

Quote from: daffy on September 26, 2021, 07:35:52 PM
I do have some photos from BBMF Day but they are not brilliant. I'll post the best of them on a separate thread tomorrow, together with a few comments on the day there.

Looking forward to that.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

daffy

Four months since my last update here and Sheila is currently lying in bed feeling rough with another chest infection that is currently not showing signs of improvement two-thirds of the way through a course of antibiotics.

The end of last year was not too bad for her, though a few trips out to sit by the coast and one stressful visit to a Tesco would be the limit of her activity outside the home up to the New Year. Christmas Day with the grandkids had to be cancelled at the last minute as the 'other' grandparents played Russian Roulette with Covid while hosting the grandkids for a few days beforehand, and of course they lost! :veryangry: :censored:

However, the young ones proved of sterner stuff and we got to 'do Christmas' with them on New Year's Day, which was the first time Sheila had been able to touch and hug them in well over a year.

A month later and we are back in the old routine of avoiding the World, but this current infection seems to be more debilitating than the others she has had to endure. Almost a year since this troublesome illness began and she is understandably depressed, the drugs exacting their own toll - steroid side effects are not at all welcome, for example - and the inability to do much at all most days now means her fitness is now at an all time low.

I'm worried now that this will be the 'norm' for us for a long while yet. Her Consultant is ever hopeful and he is in the process of arranging new scans and tests over the next few months, which is, oddly, something for Sheila to look forward too.

And now we have the joy of all joys in the lifting of Covid restrictions. What a great idea that is! :veryangry:  To us this return to Plan A by the powers that be (who have no real power in the matter of this virus) translates as: "All those with good health on your side, Keep Calm (or even dance a jig and get drunk with your mates) And Carry On; the rest of you who aren't so well, Tough Shot! (I might have spelt that wrong.)

Far from tossing our masks into the air and rejoicing at our 'freedom', we are battening down the hatches even more - if that is in fact possible.

By maintaining social distancing, wearing a mask, and thinking of others I for one will continue to be 'protecting the NHS', but mainly I will be protecting Sheila - and all like her in a similar position.

And in some small way I may even be protecting you - whatever your opinions, beliefs, choices and needs may be.

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

stevewalker

I'm sorry to hear that things are bad again.

My wife is also vulnerable and we too are continuing to wear masks and avoid risky places. I am pushing to WFH for a bit longer, but will have to go back soon - that probably makes little difference with us having children mixing at school every day though.

As it is, my wife is wheezing and struggling for breath at times during the night and with a depressed immune system too, we dread the idea of her catching Covid on top.

Malc

I too have a suppressed immune system, so will be wearing masks for the foreseeable future and avoiding indoor spaces. We have had lunch out a couple of times, but only with friends that don't have children and are taking care like we are. We avoid crowded pubs and only go out mid week. I have had covid, it's not something I want again, but colds and flu are also rife this time of year. Roll on summer when we can sit outside in the garden.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Newportnobby

Shopped at Tesco on Wednesday and almost everyone except teenagers (of course) wore a mask.
Come so called 'Freedom Day' yesterday I went to a DIY shed and was pleased to see at least 50% still wore masks. I did have one idiot ask me why I was wearing a mask when I didn't have to so I patiently explained that maybe 90% of mask wearing protects others and possibly 10% stops me breathing in Covid fumes so he was getting the greatest benefit.
I have worn a mask inside retailers since Covid began and will continue to do so regardless of what the 'experts' say. I have also worn disposable gloves at every weekly shop and they are only taken off when my empty trolley is parked. Having unpacked my shopping at home I then rinse my hands with antiseptic gel.
I mentioned yesterday I can't attend my gym classes due to a change of statins by my GP and am now quite glad as I heard last night of 22 members of the class at least 8 have Covid

dannyboy

I am sorry to hear that Sheila is suffering again and that you are having to go to such lengths to keep her, and yourself, protected. I sincerely hope that things do start to improve for you both in the near future. Most restrictions have been lifted here in Ireland, but it is still mandatory to wear a face covering in some situations and, having been out doing my shopping this morning, it was nice to see that the majority of people, including shop workers, are still wearing face masks.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Bob Tidbury

At our club we are requested to wear masks but not compelled to .
But in my railway shed it will still be my law that visitors will wear face masks as its so cold and we cant have the windows open even when the gas fires warm the place up as the cat WILL COME IN and she likes chewing my home made trees she likes the taste of the copper wire .
So if any of you want to visit we have a supply of masks if you forget to bring one .
Bob Tidbury

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations