Sod’s Virus? - a novel way to reward careful isolation

Started by daffy, April 11, 2021, 12:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

ding, ding, ding,  :smiley-laughing:

did all go to plan ?

hopefully she is now home, and possibly checking to see what has arrived in her absence  :-[

take care of her, and if the bell gets too much, I could send you some of HB's DNA, it is very strong in selective hearing  :smiley-laughing:

daffy

Picked Sheila up from the hospital at 5:30pm in the rain, but not a cloud in the sky as far as we were both concerned. :claphappy:

She was bright, cheerful, and carrying a bag of numerous drugs she will have to take for a long time to see off this very serious condition. Besides a large dose of daily steroids - now 4 pills rather than the 12 but the over-all dose is the same - she starts today on a very potent and potentially dangerous drug that will suppress her immune system as vasculitis, simplistically speaking, is the result of your own body's immune system attacking that which it is supposed to defend. The dose of this is low at present but must be increased gradually every two weeks until it is roughly four times stronger. This drug, Methotrexate, is more commonly used with cancer patients and comes with copious warnings and can have some rather frightening side effects, which we hope she never gets to experience. :no:

Long road ahead and sadly due to the effects of the drugs she must take great care to avoid any chance of infections, including colds, so sadly it seems the grandchildren's long wait to see their 'Nanny' will not happen a while yet. Covid-type restrictions will continue for us even if the rest of the country is coming out of lockdown. :(

But that imposition means nothing. She is home, she is smiling, she seems to be sleeping well in her own bed - still asleep this morning -  and the Docs are confident, as am I, that they can crack this.👍

Apparently it is a very rare condition, so much so that one if the Docs is writing the case up for expected publication in the British Medical Journal. Ah, fame at last for SWMBO! - though her name and personal details will be withheld of course.😁
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

daffy

P.S. - she mentioned a bell within minutes of entering the house! :goggleeyes: :o :uneasy: :doh: :(
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

honestjudge

Good news.
I have been following the progress of this thread with interest and am glad things seem to be on the right path. That drug Methotrexate is also common amongst people with Rheumatoid arthritis where it does a lot of good.

I hope life returns to a good level of normality soon.

Ali Smith

Good news indeed. Hope things continue to improve.

Newportnobby

Great news, Mike :claphappy:

I'd suggest to everyone they do NOT read the leaflet that comes with any meds or you'll scare the hell out of yourself and would probably take nothing!

AlexanderJesse

All the best, and the necessary strength to get through this period. Knowing what you have to fight is the first glimps of light at the end of the tunnel.
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

Remember: vapour is just water and therefor clean

dannyboy

Some good news there Mike.  As Alexander says, knowing the enemy is the first step in beating it - and being at home will be a good medicine.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

guest311

Quote from: daffy on May 01, 2021, 06:37:02 AM
P.S. - she mentioned a bell within minutes of entering the house! :goggleeyes: :o :uneasy: :doh: :(

can you not use the excuse that you need to isolate as a reason for not being able to go and get her one,  :thumbsup: or is there already one in the house  :'(

daffy

Many thanks to all for your comments and  support.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 01, 2021, 09:11:02 AM
Great news, Mike :claphappy:

I'd suggest to everyone they do NOT read the leaflet that comes with any meds or you'll scare the hell out of yourself and would probably take nothing!

Sheila has just taken the first three of the Methotrexate (its a weekly thing) from a little plain box with just the hospital dispensary details on it and no leaflet. But.......  one of her Docs went to great lengths to tell her of all the possible side effects so she was fully conversant with them.

Happily another Doc, the one who first suspected she might have vasculitis, gave Sheila her mobile number when she was being discharged and they have had a number of text chats today about various things, especially these little wonders. One point of note that came out this morning's chat was that should she throw up at any time while taking them then the clear-up must be done wearing rubber gloves, as the drug contains cytotoxins that can cause all sorts of issues if they get on the skin, in the eyes, mouth, or nose.😱

Wonder who the poor sap is who has to do that then. :hmmm: ;) :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

guest311

guest311

daffy

Quote from: class37025 on May 01, 2021, 04:21:22 PM
I'm guessing her loving @ daffy  :hmmm: :sick:

Maybe, though I do have a plan!  :)

- twice now a neighbour has said to me "If there's anything we can do Mike, anything, just let us know."  >:D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dannyboy

Quote from: daffy on May 01, 2021, 05:26:54 PM

- twice now a neighbour has said to me "If there's anything we can do Mike, anything, just let us know."

Get a toilet roll, unroll it a bit, go to the neighbour and say, "You said to let you know if you could do anything. I have done a bit of a list".
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations