Would You Be Interested In An NGF 10 Year Wagon/Van? - available now!,

Started by Tank, January 01, 2021, 09:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Quote from: Papyrus on January 02, 2021, 02:53:38 PM
It doesn't really matter whether there is a majority in favour or not. What matters is if there are enough members wanting to buy one to make it a worthwhile enterprise. I'd certainly buy one. I'd opt for either a tank wagon or a GUV. And, yes, I still have, and run, my white NGS wagon.

It sort of does if you want project interest by extrapolation, as one assumes more people will need to buy than have said yes. If you know there are 300 active forum members and 50% of those surveyed are definitely interested. That's better than knowing that 50 people want to buy, but not know what portion of the membership have answered.

thebrighton

Quote from: njee20 on January 02, 2021, 05:05:31 PM
It sort of does if you want project interest by extrapolation, as one assumes more people will need to buy than have said yes. If you know there are 300 active forum members and 50% of those surveyed are definitely interested. That's better than knowing that 50 people want to buy, but not know what portion of the membership have answered.

Looking at the Wagonyards special editions https://thewagonyard.co.uk/online-shop/?filter_cat_2=52  they have been supplied by Peco and Dapol and usually run out at 100 wagons a time so from that I guess that's the minimum order.
All down to opinions but I would suggest the NGF committing to that number may be an issue and that the assumptions above are actually more of a risk. I would be happier with 50 definites than making assumptions I would sell 150. Sorry but that doesn't sound like a good business plan. I've always had the impression that expressions of interest rarely mean the same number of units sold. It's easy to say yes when you don't have to hand any cash over. A more realistic number and reliable figure could be obtained if people knew exactly what they could be buying.
I'm interested but it would depend entirely on what was offered. To say yes at this stage would be misleading of me.
I know there are a lot of collectors out there and within days wagons would be going for silly money to non members on Ebay but I'd be more interested in a mug than a wagon that would end up sitting in a draw collecting dust.

njee20

Yes I'm assuming (possibly wrongly) that there won't be enough "definitely yes" to meet a minimum order threshold, therefore a degree of extrapolation would be needed.

I totally agree that I don't think they should extrapolate to the entire membership base. Even selling 100 easily would actually surprise me.

I'd also sooner have a mug. 

Bob Tidbury

I would be happy with a TANK wagon .
I run my railway for fun and have a whole frieght train made up of special wagons and allso a frieght train made up with MEDWAY QUEEN  limited edition wagons and loco which I run sometimes ,but I would allso agree with those that suggested a Mug as I use a FORUM  mug every day .I think that a wagon in a rake on someones exhibition layout would help to promote the N G F but then it would need the full wording to be of use in that respect  the observer wouldnt know what N G F stood for and wouldnt be bothered to ask .
Just my opinion but whatever is decided I will buy one or two .
Bob Tidbury

Papyrus

Nah... not a mug. I've got a shelf full of commemorative mugs...

Sorry!

Chris

guest311

IF you went down the route of a sheet of assorted transfers, including the graffiti style [like that] then I'm sure Steve at Railtec would be willing to print the order, and to ensure take up, perhaps prepay at a definite price so the forum, ie @tank and his starving family  :smiley-laughing: wouldn't have to make up the shortfall, plus a small % to the forum funds.

when I wanted to do my series of rule 1 cl25s named for distilleries, Steve did me the custom numbers and name plates at a very good price.

:hmmm:

now that is a thought .... 37 427 "NGF - 10 year anniversary" any takers  >:D

Leon

Tank, I've voted Definitely. I would be buying one wagon, however, in support of the Forum and the work required to make available a limited edition wagon. My modelling period is the 30s so most wagons private owner wagons manufactured in that decade would have been seen on British rails for a considerable period. I would purchase a wagon from a different period if a 30s wagon wasn't chosen for production.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

zwilnik

Just to be on the safe side, do a wagon *AND* a set of transfers. (you could actually be cheeky and buy the wagons as unpainted Dapol ones and apply the transfers to make the RTR wagon if it suits the plain colours like the NGF 21T wagon did).

Graham

Quote from: Bealman on January 02, 2021, 07:31:22 AM
Please do, Graham. Love to see that!  :thumbsup:
so this afternoon, this little beauty came out of its box for the first time.

As you can see it has the microtrains couplers and I have nothing to pull it with, also it doesn't fit under my bridges.

Bealman

Oh dear! Not fitting under your bridges, I mean.

That is one lovely model, and I've always been a fan of Kadee couplings, one of the best things in American railroad modelling, I reckon.

Ok, you might not get it out often, but I'm betting you're very fond of it. I think it's great!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: Bealman on January 03, 2021, 07:05:16 AM
Ok, you might not get it out often, but I'm betting you're very fond of it.

Moderator! Moderator!  ;)

Graham

Quote from: Bealman on January 03, 2021, 07:05:16 AM
Oh dear! Not fitting under your bridges, I mean.

That is one lovely model, and I've always been a fan of Kadee couplings, one of the best things in American railroad modelling, I reckon.

Ok, you might not get it out often, but I'm betting you're very fond of it. I think it's great!
I am fond of it and keep thinking I will have to take it to the club to watch it run round on someone else's train.

Bealman

@tutenkhamunsleeping Ha Ha, I was waiting for the first response.

You Win!

Happy New Year, I'll try and arrange a prize from Tank, but dinna hold yer breath!  :beers:

Webbo

I have only a small amount of UK equipment, but I admit that I have always liked the wagons of the big four period with NE, LMS, SR or GW printed in large white letters on the sides. North American railways used to broadcast their rolling stock in a similar fashion, but sadly in recent years the railway identification is restricted to much smaller identification codes. So to cut to the chase, I would be in favour of a 7-plank coal wagon with a bold NGF on its side numbered as #10. Perhaps a set of three wagons could be produced in like manner say a van, a tank wagon, and a coal wagon.

Webbo

Bealman

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations