Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.

Started by longbridge, November 22, 2011, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JanW

I got a Fleischmann H0 trainset for my third birthday and I have modelled in this scale until a collegue gave me a box of Minitrix stuff (and a Roco diesel) that he never used.
I thought that it would be nice to build a small n gauge layout for my son who was eight tears old then.
He played with it but the size of the models intrigued me.
At the time I had a lot of Dutch H0 stock but I was also very interested in British steam era layouts.
To test this N gauge stock (my son only had the Minitrix 0-6-0 tank and a worn out Roco diesel) I bought a Kato 2-8-0 loco and I was sold. It ran beautifully!
(Of course there was no British N gauge model to be found in my local model shop..)
So a Dapol 14xx with autocoach was ordered and I put it on my sons layout for running in.
It worked OK and I let it run in while getting some coffee downstairs.
When I got back the 14xx had stopped but the motor was still running. There was a burr on the worm which had stripped all teeth from the gear...
That was about twelve years ago. I gave away most of my H0 stock and the rest is stowed away.
I have a N gauge GWR terminus layout (Blagdon station) which still needs scenery added and I'm building a small 2mm scale cameo layout. This has to be finished next june so I can take it to the diamond jubilee of the 2mm scale association.

I just realised that the 14xx has never been repaired. I built a new chassis for it but before it was finished I decided I wanted to model in 2mm scale. Other projects came first and it is stowed away without a working chassis.
It will be fixed as soon as my little cameo layout is ready. I think....

Jan

Brian taylor

I have been in the tabletop wargaming hobby for years and built a number of boards to play on, as time went on I found I really enjoyed that aspect of the hobby and slowly came to the decision to try my hand at a scenic layout as opposed to a playing board.
Am just getting started but chose N gauge as I have always liked the idea of really big setups, I am the same with wargaming, was always into big battles rather than the more traditional skirmish-based games.
I have a 12ft by 5ft space to build on so am really enjoy the idea of what I can build on that in N gauge.

mca0004

I used to model OO gauge, but switch to N about 2018ish.

I've always loved model railways, but never had enough money (or sense) to do much. It wasn't until I joined my club a few years ago I began to take it more seriouly.

My main reason for switiching from OO to N was, like many people, space. You can do a whole lot more in N than in OO. The space I have for my layout couldn't really fit anything good if it was a larger scale, but thanks to N, I can have a layout with shunting and a loop!

I'll always get amazed when I take a look at my old OO stock, because I'll think "Wow, that's so big", and then remember when I first got them and thought they were so small!

I'm also lucky that my two favourite locos, the Class 17 and Class 28 are both being sold right now, very good that.

Bealman

What amazes me about OO models, apart from their size, is how plasticy and toylike they look.

I don't mean that as an insult to the OO community, it's just what I think.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: Bealman on April 06, 2022, 09:23:57 AM
What amazes me about OO models, apart from their size, is how plasticy and toylike they look.

That's because a lot of them are very toylike indeed :(

But things are changing: https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/first-class-37-decorated-sample-revealed

:admiration: :admiration: :admiration:

Bealman

That does look pretty cool, but I'm sorry, the metal that the real thing is made out of, still looks like plastic!

Just me entrenched in N gauge, I suppose.

Sorry!  :beers:

Catsick

I started in the hope it'd take up less space..... well the layout does but the rolling stock collection doesn't lol
You don't know what you can do what you can't

Foonting

Initially because of space - I wanted to model 'Bembridge' 100% to scale without compressing anything track plan wise. Then when I got my first N gauge loco I fell in love with how detailed and yet tiny it was. Will I stick with N after I complete Bembridge ... well that's going to take some time as just the station building has taken me 8 weeks ... but I fancy giving 'Cowes' a crack after that ... and that's be WAY too big for my flat in OO  :D

Timbo66

There`s something I really like about how N gauge looks. OO seems toy like. I`d like an O gauge layout as well...
And space!

Greygreaser

Bargains!
Started as a child with a Hornby/Meccano O gauge clockwork train set on metal rails.

Later i persuaded my parents to invest in both a board and a Trix Twin set, 3 rail OO gauge but very poor realism in any of the British outline stuff.

My son got the bug and we entered into Hornby DoubleO trying to model Ashburton which we visited and photographed. The layout went round 3 sides of his bedroom.
The local MRC organised a visit to Hornby in MArgate and they were 'clearing out' of N gauge as they disassociated with Minitrix so I bought a few boxes and bits at a discounted price

These all got packed away for 5 house moves and when the pandemic struck i unearthed them and started Readum Junk-shun. Many different makes have caused issues, headaches, wine drinking, sofa surfing, eBay disasters and some success! Never let it be said that KISS has no place in modern technology! It has brought enjoyment and kept the old grey cells going to 80 :claphappy:
A jack of all trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

Taffius

I had made a start in OO gauge, and then thought I would get into TT:120.

However, after receiving a faulty train and having concerns over quality and standards, I thought it can go all back.

This left a 6 x 4 ft void and N gauge filled the gap and I am so pleased I went for it. I found Kato track system, a great forum and now thinking - did I make a mistake starting in OO gauge? Shall i convert my 8 x 4 ft setup into N gauge! :-[
John

Bealman

I guess it depends upon how happy you are with the OO layout, Taff.

What you suggest would be a major operation!

silly moo

Nothing wrong with having both 00 and N, I do. I'd probably have 0 if I had the room. N remains my favourite though. I think it's the influence of my first 'train set' when I was four or five, Lone Star 000.

Taffius

Quote from: Bealman on March 06, 2023, 07:51:04 AM
I guess it depends upon how happy you are with the OO layout, Taff.

What you suggest would be a major operation!

Very true and a bit toomuch invested in it now to change....currently. :)
John

dilflat

I had an OO gauge train set as a child and following that built a couple of end to end layouts before motorcycles, partying and chasing women became far more interesting.
Returning to the hobby in my late thirties I built a small OO layout using stuff I had saved from my childhood.

As a child I had been fascinated by a friend of my Fathers large N gauge loft layout (he would have been one of the pioneers in the scale) and so as I became more serious in the hobby, and wanting to model the railways I remembered from teenage spotting days I began buying N gauge stock and building a layout.
Nearly a couple of decades later and I have two layouts and planning a third. Alas, they can only be set up when space allows but as long as I have something to work on that is OK.

Potters Wood, my mid 70's Eastern Region layout.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations