covering up your layout

Started by bluedepot, May 27, 2011, 03:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

hi

what do you cover your layout with when not in use?

i'm thinking i'll get some kind of light weight plastic sheets to put over it....

cheers

tim

poliss

bluedepot

ok, that's a good idea. only problem is i don't have the back scene or anything built yet so can't really build anything like that for now

cheers

tim

MJKERR

B&Q sell rolls of plastic sheeting for painting
It is really thin and disposable
I used this when decorating, cut to length required

However, in 3 years I have not had to deal with any dust on my layout
Even taking into account the amount of sawing, drilling, and cutting I have performed I am really surprised
However, I do leave the hoover on whilst performing tasks like that!

bluedepot

cheers i will look at paint sheets in b&q.

i use a car hoover on my layout sometimes, after drilling etc. just worried about leaving it uncovered as i dont want it to collect dust.

best wishes

tim

OwL

Hi Tim,

I use light weight acrylic sheeting. Again these can be obtained from DIY stores, usually in 2ft x 4ft measures. I have adapted 1 sheet to fit my layout. I also keep a 3 inch paint brush handy to 'dust off' then hoover with a small 'dust devil' i have brought from Makro. (Cheap)

Hope you are well Tim,

Kind Regards

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

bluedepot

hi

i got a paint sheet today so think that'll be fine

that's one more issue resolved.... might try to fit some point motors tomorrow...

best wishes

tim

CNW400

Quote from: bluedepot on May 27, 2011, 03:52:43 PM
hi

what do you cover your layout with when not in use?

i'm thinking i'll get some kind of light weight plastic sheets to put over it....

cheers

tim

Greetings BlueDepot,

On my last layout, (1989-1992), I had nailed 1x2s to the corners of the layout, (around 5" higher than the tallest structure on the layout), and threw a summer weight cotton sheet over the top.  However, I was at my layout so often, I usually left it off and those posts would occasionally get in the way.

So, this time around, I've just been using soft watercolour brushes and one of those micro vacuums designed for electronics.  However, as mjkerr said, I haven't really had a dust problem on my layout... but mine is only 3 months old. ::)

All the best,

Sean C.
CNW400

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations