3D Model/STL repository

Started by zwilnik, July 06, 2021, 02:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik

Now a lot of us have caught the 3D printing bug, would it be possible to add a small repository or gallery for us to be able to upload our creations to in case others want to print them?

The current option is to upload to a site like Thingiverse and post the links here, but a dedicated 3D model gallery for NGF members would be very handy and might give members some incentive to share their designs for newer modellers to print and learn from.

tankie

Outstanding thought. I myself do not have a printer, but would get hope to have one day.
Its not a train set but a micro engineered precision detailed transport system.
"X-Clacks-Overhead" value="GNU Terry Pratchett"

njee20

The 2mm SA started something similar; promoted via RMWeb, and despite a lot of interest they had very few submissions. Being entirely selfish I sell a lot of my models, so whilst I'd happily contribute the odd bits I wouldn't be uploading anything overly worthwhile!

I wonder if Tank would want the storage overhead too, STLs can be pretty big files. Not wishing to be defeatist. Perhaps a thread of Thingiverse links would be useful though?

woodbury22uk

As Nick says storage is an issue. I am working on a family of files at the moment which are around 11GB each, and there are a lot of them.

My SNCF Corail coach files are on Google Docs and links to the files are in the appropriate thread on here. As an example there are 35 files for just one of the 22 coach types in the document.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rRyl8l37VL0oSeEDXqyBtUcZ47XpZi5E/view

Providing links to free/paid for content is whole lot more practical.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Tank

It's a great idea, but no, not at those sizes!  The overheads would be huge for the NGF. :-\

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations