The Great Model Railway Challenge

Started by Newportnobby, September 22, 2018, 08:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tidbury

This was filmed at the late Bill Mc Alpines private Museum at Fawley Court near Henley on Thames ,it's only open by invitation and I have been lucky to visit a few years ago it's an amazing place with parts of old stations and memorabilia every where ,every thing from railway buttons and furniture to a tank loco and coal wagons that give you rides up an incredibly steep hill past a signal into a real station rebuilt bit by bit ,there is even a set of old ploughing engines ,and models of all gauges .There is the whole of the old wooden booking hall from Henley on Thames station .
At the moment no one knows what will happen to the collection ,will the family open it up to the public or break it up and sell it off .
Bob Tidbury

daffy

Quote from: GroupC on October 14, 2018, 09:19:47 AM
Annoyingly, after I'd rather surprisingly looked forward to watching the latest episode on catch-up, when I tried to do so the morning after it was on, I found that Channel 5 don't put their programmes up until after the second scheduled free-to-air broadcast.

Which means I have to wait a few more days. What a pain!

Just for info for anyone like GroupC who missed the first showing, the next is at 19:00 on Wednesday 17th.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

guest311

Annoyingly, after I'd rather surprisingly looked forward to watching the latest episode on catch-up, when I tried to do so the morning after it was on, I found that Channel 5 don't put their programmes up until after the second scheduled free-to-air broadcast.

bit baffled about this as I got it friday evening about 22:00 and it played fine.

ps used My5, don't have an account which you seem to need for a lot of the programs.

Railwaygun

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on October 14, 2018, 10:35:16 AM
This was filmed at the late Bill Mc Alpines private Museum at Fawley Court near Henley on Thames ,it's only open by invitation and I have been lucky to visit a few years ago it's an amazing place with parts of old stations and memorabilia every where ,every thing from railway buttons and furniture to a tank loco and coal wagons that give you rides up an incredibly steep hill past a signal into a real station rebuilt bit by bit ,there is even a set of old ploughing engines ,and models of all gauges .There is the whole of the old wooden booking hall from Henley on Thames station .
At the moment no one knows what will happen to the collection ,will the family open it up to the public or break it up and sell it off .
Bob Tidbury

Hi Railwaygun

Thank you for your enquiry regarding a visit to the late Sir William McAlpine's Fawley Hill Railway and Museum near Henley-on-Thames.

Admission to Fawley VIP Days is by pre-booked invitations only. Owing to unprecedented interest in Fawley Hill, preference will be given to groups of 20+ such as Railway Clubs, History societies, Social clubs and charity organisation, etc. but if space is available we may be able to extend invitations to family groups and individuals.

However there may be 1 or 2 public open weekends in 2019 which will be open to all. 

Our Invitation Running days for 2018 have finished but unless you wish us not to retain your details we will add you to our e-mail list and forward dates for 2019 as soon as they are arranged.

Regards

Mark & Helen Hamlin

Fawley Museum Society Invitations Administrators

http://fawleyhill.co.uk

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

daffy

Form an orderly queue for the inaugural "2019 NGF Annual Group Outing"? :hmmm:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

GroupC

Quote from: class37025 on October 14, 2018, 11:48:17 AM

bit baffled about this as I got it friday evening about 22:00 and it played fine.

ps used My5, don't have an account which you seem to need for a lot of the programs.

I was using my5 too. It definitely wasn't there as I tried searching in a few ways, on my5 and even trying a few general googles. This was at about 7am on the morning after the first showing. Oddly it's there now though. Perhaps they had to wait for the upload person to get into work and set it all going. Going to watch it soon.

GroupC

Gave up on My5. Got about a third of the way through and it redirected itself back to the my5 homepage with no clicks from me. When I restarted it I couldn't skip to the point I'd got up to (and of course had to watch zillions of ads again).

Will wait until it's on telly. Haven't got space in my life for all this mucking about with online catch-ups.

The BBC can get it right with iplayer, why can't My5? Useless. Won't be using it again, back to the dvd recorder way. Can skip the ads that way too.

guest311

have not had that problem with My5, although I have only used it so far to catch up on this series, but I found I could fast forward, or back, on the railway section, it was just the  :censored: adverts that you couldn't over-ride.

daffy

Living in an area with poor standard connection speeds I am very familiar with catch-up channels dropping out or not displaying content. I therefore rely on the record and watch later process.
Could connection speed differences explain why we have members with such  good and bad experiences?
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

guest311

could well be the answer.

supposedly I have fibre, at least that's what I pay for, but what comes in through the wall is good / bad old copper wire.

I'm with Plusnet, ie BT but with UK call centres.

hopefully, Virgin is shortly digging up the verges and installing their fibre, and I am given to understand that you actually get fibre to the house, not copper from a far distant cabinet.

guess we'll see in due course. :-\

Fardap

I don't know if it is account related or anything but My5 on Samsung tv plays anything and just has a short pause where adverts should be then continues the show with no adverts to watch. 
It is on the catchup menu selection just pick Friday.  I guess any issues are maybe platform related and not MY5 specifically. 

Enjoyed this weeks show although I am getting increasingly irritated by the "Honky-Tonk" piano music.

Leon

Quote from: njee20 on October 12, 2018, 07:05:49 PM
How strange, could be something from your internet provider blocking it. Sorry it didn't work - hope you find another solution!

Nick

Nick, someone put it on youtube and I was able to see it there. Just have to view it immediately after it's posted, otherwise, it might be taken down. I'll view the second episode tomorrow if it has been downloaded to youtube.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Railwaygun

Quote from: Railwaygun on October 14, 2018, 12:18:46 PM
Quote from: Bob Tidbury on October 14, 2018, 10:35:16 AM
Bob Tidbury

Hi Railwaygun

Thank you for your enquiry regarding a visit to the late Sir William McAlpine's Fawley Hill Railway and Museum near Henley-on-Thames.

Admission to Fawley VIP Days is by pre-booked invitations only. Owing to unprecedented interest in Fawley Hill, preference will be given to groups of 20+ such as Railway Clubs, History societies, Social clubs and charity organisation, etc. but if space is available we may be able to extend invitations to family groups and individuals.

However there may be 1 or 2 public open weekends in 2019 which will be open to all. 

Our Invitation Running days for 2018 have finished but unless you wish us not to retain your details we will add you to our e-mail list and forward dates for 2019 as soon as they are arranged.

Regards

Mark & Helen Hamlin

Fawley Museum Society Invitations Administrators

http://fawleyhill.co.uk

As, requested we have added you to our e-mail list.

Yes, the Great Model Railway Challenge was, indeed, filmed at Fawley Hill earlier this year.

The reason that Fawley Hill is not featured on railway maps or in railway museum and preservation guides is because it is a private museum belonging to the estate of  the late Sir William McAlpine that is not normally open to the public.

Regards

Mark & Helen

invitations@fawleymuseum.co.uk

====================================

So sign up now for next year - how about an NGF tour group??

We we should manage 20+ ??

I will post a separate thread

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Philip.

A bit hit and miss for me last night and the Steampunks did nothing for me at all. The show seemed too rushed and didn't hold my attention like last weeks.

The right team won though, and by a country mile.

guest311

Quote from: Philip. on October 20, 2018, 01:30:15 PM
A bit hit and miss for me last night and the Steampunks did nothing for me at all. The show seemed too rushed and didn't hold my attention like last weeks.

The right team won though, and by a country mile.

not just me then  :no:

my mate, and his team, had problems with their swing bridge, and I can't help but think they shot themselves in the foot with trying to make it 'work', rather than just have it as a scenic item, that let the trains run over it.

did note his 'wargames' missile patrol boat in the harbour, bought up in Portknockie too many years ago, and which has caused me problems in wargames many times since.
perhaps that sinking might have been a better idea  >:D

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations