8 wheel tender drives

Started by Dorsetmike, September 13, 2019, 07:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

Apart from Fleischmann and Minitrix German outline locos are there any other CHEAPER tender drives with 8 wheels?

Both of the  available kits for SR 4-6-0s, Langley S15 and BHE N15 have tender bodies for 8 wheelers, there were a few S15 and N15 locos fitted with 6 whel tenders for use on Eastern and Central sections due to smaller turntables, those can be hacked to use a Union Mills drive. The BHE N15 tender is not actually designed to be motorised, as the kit originally was intended to fit a Poole Farish Black 5 which has wheels too small and incorrectly spaced. The Langley S15 needs the Fleischmann 716x loco and tender chassis and can make up nicely, however the majority of S15s used a Urie tender, the exception being about 5 or 6 of the class from mid 1930s to 1950s when their own tenders were transferred to the N15X class (rebuilds of the Remembrance class tanks as 4-6-0 tender locos)

The BHE N15 tender is correct for most of the N15, S15 and H15 classes apart from the Eastern and Central section 6 wheelers and some rebuilds of Drummond 4-6-0s to N15 spec but retaining the watercart tencers.

The loco which comes with the Minitrix tender has 6' drivers which can go under the Langley kit body to produce an H15 class which needs the BHE tender

A bit of hacking will see a UM  drive into an N15 tender and adding a pair of wheels, the Minitrix looks good and runs well under the BHE tender body however it needs a lot of filng or grinding the tender sides and the Minitrix block before the drive will fit into the body.

An alternative might be to replace the tender ends with slightly wider ones but that then looks a bit odd.

You may ask what happens to the "surplus" watercart tenders from the above mix 'n match, easy - replace the UM tender from a T9 as most T9s had the 8 wheel watercart so you can use the drive under an N15 tender, or you could scratch build another of the Drummond 4-4-0s, C8, K10, L11, S11, L12 or D15
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

ntpntpntp

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

chrism

Quote from: ntpntpntp on September 13, 2019, 09:20:09 PM
Farish Tornado and relatives?

That's a plate framed 8-wheel tender though, isn't it?
I thought all the LSWR/SR 8-wheelers ran on double bogies ?

Dorsetmike

Yes all double bogies, Drummond watercarts had inside frames, Urie and Maunsell ones outside frames; the Fleischmann and Minitrix ones I use have rigid chassis but "cosmetic" plastic bogie frames which look notheing like UK ones. I have had some bogie side frames etched to which I add cast axle boxes, they look OK but an be a PITA to fit to the body

A BHE N15 kit, loco chassis is Peco Jubilee, tender drive is Minitrix, bogie side frames as mentioned above.

Langley S15 body modified to represent the Maunsell version, altered cab roof and footplate step over cylinders leveled, Tender is BHE N15/Minitrix as the N15 above.

The Langley S15 watercart with Fleischann drive is behind the UM T9 in my sig below
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

chrism

Quote from: Dorsetmike on September 14, 2019, 11:35:53 AM
Yes all double bogies, Drummond watercarts had inside frames, Urie and Maunsell ones outside frames

Cheers Mike. I thought that was the case but, having only had experience of working on the Drummond T9 and the two Urie S15s, I wasn't certain about the Maunsell ones.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations