what are you listening to at the moment?

Started by findus, January 20, 2011, 12:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonglum and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Newportnobby

Arguably one of the greatest pieces of Southern Rock ever made. Itused to be a biker's anthem too :D

Moonglum

During the 80/90s I listened to a lot of jazz fusion/smooth jazz which sadly become a victim of it's own success with many artists churning out album after album and thus becoming rather boring. The GRP label signed many talented musicians and amongst them was an outfit called Special EFX. I came across this the other day. Here's Chieli Minucci (gtr) live with "Cause We've Ended as Lovers" immortalised by the late Jeff Beck... and written by Stevie Wonder...

https://youtu.be/zJ4YzPIrvWg?feature=shared

It's a bit long but stay with it - if you can!

Cheers,

Tim

Trainfish

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 08, 2024, 07:56:26 PMArguably one of the greatest pieces of Southern Rock ever made. Itused to be a biker's anthem too :D

If you ever get a chance to see Skinny Molly make sure you don't miss it. Mike Estes who was in Skynyrd (for a couple of years in the '90s) and Blackfoot (who hasn't been?) is the lead guitarist and vocalist along with Kurt Pietro also from Blackfoot (see?) on drums. Molly Hatchet guitarist Dave Hlubek was in the original line-up hence the band name, he left early on though. Jay Johnson, also ex Blackfoot (I did warn you) is also a guitarist with the band. I've seen them maybe 4 times in Devizes but would happily travel further afield to see them. They obviously play a lot of Skynyrd and Blackfoot stuff but they do a fantastic version of Copperhead Road among others. Fantastic guys to chat to as I have done a few times due to a small venue and they mix with folk after the gig as they do like a beer.
Here's something from them:

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Newportnobby

@Trainfish Very good, John. Sadly, since my triple bypass, I can't go to live gigs due to sound engineers turning everything up to 'volume 11' as sound waves then reverberate through my chest and make me physically ill. For the same reason I can't go to the cinema.

Trainfish

Stand outside and watch/listen though the window. It's cheaper too  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Newportnobby

Harking back to Robin Trower, I remember NME calling him the white 'Hendrix' if it's permissible to say that these days. He could certainly make a guitar speak to him, as in this rather overlong version of 'Daydream'

Moonglum

Very good Mick @Newportnobby - RT is in a class of own. I was going to post Chantel McGregor's version of "Daydream" but decided this was better. Here she is live at the Stables, Milton Keynes with "Inconsolable"...

https://youtu.be/UVTleEnOsuM?feature=shared

Cheers,

Tim

PS she swops the acoustic for an electric guitar after the keyboard solo.

port perran

Quote from: Moonglum on Yesterday at 02:54:41 PMVery good Mick @Newportnobby - RT is in a class of own. I was going to post Chantel McGregor's version of "Daydream" but decided this was better. Here she is live at the Stables, Milton Keynes with "Inconsolable"...

https://youtu.be/UVTleEnOsuM?feature=shared

Cheers,

Tim

PS she swops the acoustic for an electric guitar after the keyboard solo.
Thanks for that Tim @Moonglum .
I've never come across Chantel McGregor before. I rather like the video that you have shared but less taken by some of her other work which I've just listened to.
Certainly a very able guitarist.
Cheers and tganks for sharing.
Martin
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

crewearpley40

Fantastic sound
Great voice
Super choice Tim

Moonglum

Thanks Martin @port perran and Chris @crewearpley40 . Yes, she is rather good.

This band popped up and I had never heard of them until now. I can't remember the last time I sat for an hour and a half solid watching such an amazing live performance, full of energy and fun.

So here for a taster, is Solstice playing "Wongle No9" live from Grand Chapel Studios...

https://youtu.be/SIpuWa1TYi8?feature=shared

I think I will have to go and see them live ASAP.

Cheers,

Tim

port perran

I've just had a good listen to Solstice.
Like yourself, they are also new to me but it seems they've been around a while.
My initial thoughts were that I'm not sure but they are certainly growing on me.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Cheers
Martin

port perran

Just as an update to the Solstice posts.
I've now watched their Veruno concert right through

https://youtu.be/b6dRplzGuGM?si=bibPnv3aJ6pYVrrc

I have to say it is one of the most captivating and invigorating concerts I've seen.
It was mesmerising for me. So full of energy and enjoyment.

A bit of It's a Beautiful Day, Camel, Yes, The Flock, Renaissance, Curved Air and maybe The Zutons all mixed in.
Great soaring guitar work together with great violin and keyboards.

Amazing. I'd love to see them live.

Thanks again Tim @Moonglum 

crewearpley40

Music easy to listen to
Great vocals
That must have been a great gig to attend

Thanks Tim and Martin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35%