Things you realise after a certain point

Started by Trent, July 24, 2015, 08:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: silly moo on July 29, 2015, 04:41:17 PM
Also make a note of any paint colours used for large areas of scenery and if you have a ballast recipe ( I mix three colours together ) make a note of that too. Make a note of which colours of scatter material you use as well.

All of the above is useful if you need to make alterations to your layout.
Same applies if you bake yer own bread!!! Oh yeah.....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

PGN

I think the biggest revelation for me was the realization that it's not actually "cheating" to pay somebody else to do for you those things which you lack the skills / time / inclination to do for yourself. After all, how is this any different from buying a RTR locomotive rather than scratch building it for yourself??

So now, instead of struggling with my lousy carpentry to produce baseboards which don't provide an adequate basis for a layout and weigh an absolute ton, I pay a little bit more (but not a lot more, when you consider the amount of wastage involved if I attempt it myself) and have somebody who understands carpentry and can actually DO it build them for me.

And all those locos sitting waiting to be renumbered, relined or reliveried when I can find the time to do it? Slowly but surely, as funds permit, they're being sent away to be done by somebody else.

So now my time can be spent on (a) building and painting all those models I've always wanted to build and paint for myself, and (b) turning my test track into a "layout", learning the scenic skills along the way, in anticipation of my first portable scenic layout, which will come next, I promise ...
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Oldman

For me it was your wallet runs and hides every time you have a new idea.
Also need to do more planning before investing in ideas that are not practical given space  restrictions.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: silly moo on July 29, 2015, 04:41:17 PM
Also make a note of any paint colours used for large areas of scenery and if you have a ballast recipe ( I mix three colours together ) make a note of that too. Make a note of which colours of scatter material you use as well.

All of the above is useful if you need to make alterations to your layout.

While agreeing in principal S/M it should also be noted that ballast can change colours quite dramatically on the prototype where PW work has been carried out and fresh ballast laid, so a variation in this would not necessarily be wrong.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Lawrence

Planning is just one of my weak areas, I do do great track plans that are close to real world settings and work well in practice but then I start a build and it all goes Pete Tong

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Lawrence on August 20, 2015, 09:01:23 AM
Planning is just one of my weak areas, I do do great track plans that are close to real world settings and work well in practice but then I start a build and it all goes Pete Tong

:D  Just like mine - award winning stuff, not a lump of ballast out of place, no electrical problems, the layout wins 'Railway of the Month' places in magazines - right up until those first few feet of track are laid then  :worried:  :-[  :censored:  :help:  :veryangry:!
Strange, isn't it!
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations