2nd Diesel bought

Started by Geoff, July 15, 2011, 09:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Well looks like I have gone in a different direction to what I had planned, I have bought a Graham Farish Class 66 in EWS colours so I need to ge hold of a DC controller because it says run it in with DC before fitting the DCC decoder, so I am after a cheap DC controller now to test all my new Loco's before DCC decoders are fitted.
Geoff

MJKERR

It's recommended, but you don't have to
The output from the decoder is DC
If you don't have a DC source then you can simply use a battery which will be sufficient for 10 minutes in each direction
However, I purchased a small basic Gaugemaster controller for £5 solely for this purpose

What the manufacturer is ensuring is the model is working before the decoder is fitted
The issue with the BachFar Class 66 (and several other similar models) is the decoder needs to be soldered into place

Geoff

Just picked up a second hand controller from the local model shop for £7-50 and I got a 6 pin decoder and the socket with 7 tail wires ready for soldering, I am all set up now so quite chuffed, no problem soldering I do it every day at work.
Geoff

poliss

What make of controller is it? Some older locos don't like feedback controllers such as those made by Hornby. I use an old Farish AGW controller, although using the new Bachmann N gauge controllers would be ok too.

Geoff

Hi Polis its a Hornby R965 looking at it I doubt it is a feed back controller, it has a 12 volt dc output and a 16 volt ac output for sundries.

The guy in the model shop said it should be ok for testing purposes.
Geoff

Geoff

Just soldered the wires to the pcb and fitted the decoder into the socket but unable to get the body back on the chasis, why do they not tell you which decoder to buy for the loco in the instructions, does any one know which decoder to use for the class 66.
Geoff

poliss

Geoff

Thanks for the info Polis. I will pop it on eBay and get a gauge master.
Geoff

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Geoff on July 15, 2011, 02:21:15 PM
Hi Polis its a Hornby R965 looking at it I doubt it is a feed back controller, it has a 12 volt dc output and a 16 volt ac output for sundries.

The guy in the model shop said it should be ok for testing purposes.

Should be fine - its a modern controller and they are designed to handle small motors while a lot of ancient feedback controllers are really not up to it. A lot of the gaugemasters are also feedback controllers and those don't seem to handle small N motors well (and to be fair Gaugemaster when asked a while back said they wouldn't recommend them for it)

If you've done the conversion also put insolating tape down the sides of the chassis block each side of the brass bits that run power to the motor. Over time these move and while it doesn't matter on DC (it just messes up the TV supression a bit) it is bad news on DCC if they touch the chassis block. The later models using this design have insulation on the prongs but the 66 doesn't.

The Dapol 66 OTOH has a socket.  Dapol's catalogue indicates decoders they've checked fit a given model as some are quite tight for space. All the socketed Bachmann ones will fit the cheapie Bachmann branded decoder (which is about as big/fat as they come so all the decent ones fit too)

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

poliss

No need to get rid of the controller. They come in very handy for powering lights, accessories etc.
A cheapie Bachmann N gauge controller would be fine for running in DC locos.
I used an R965 controller on my layout for a while. The motors of my older locos did run rather hot when using it.

mousey train

hi all, im using a twin model d gaugemaster and a single gauge master controler to run my 9foot by 2foot layout, are thay the right ones to use for n gauge locos , are thay the feed back types , do i need to get rid ov them, bit confused now. mousey train.

EtchedPixels

Feedback is mainly the Model DF. The usual Gaugemasters don't have that feature.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Newportnobby

I've had Gaugemaster D's for years and have no problems at all.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations