Rubbish Dapol 45xx

Started by austinbob, December 03, 2014, 08:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

portland-docks

Quote from: LAandNQFan on December 09, 2014, 08:27:30 PM
I bought one from my local model shop and it ran very well on my test track before my layout had any track.  Getting overconfident, I tried to change the couplings to EasiShunt and messed up the pick-ups on the rear pony truck.  :'(  :-[  :dunce:
I sent it to DCC and, although I explained that the butchery was my fault, it was replaced under the No-Quibble guarantee!
:jawdropping:  :admiration:
And the new one runs very well, too.  It may be some time before I change the couplings.....  :uneasy:

to be all honest, one of mine is now converted to DCC, and we chopped off the contacts on the rear pony truck as they arent really required. the main three driving wheels is enough. i need to try convert mine to NEM pockets at some point!
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

austinbob

I've run the 45xx for an hour after oiling it as required in the instructions and, although its not perfect, its 10 times better than the 1st one I tried. Pretty much acceptable - and probably will get better with a bit more running in.

It really is a nice looking loco and I hope it continues to perform adequately.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

Quote from: austinbob on December 09, 2014, 10:03:00 PM
Pretty much acceptable - and probably will get better with a bit more running in.

You've probably hit the nail on the head there, Bob. I've found Dapol locos take an inordinate amount of running in :hmmm:

Dr Al

Quote from: newportnobby on December 10, 2014, 10:11:48 AM
an inordinate amount of running in :hmmm:

a.k.a 'wearing out'...... :D

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

austinbob

Quote from: austinbob on December 09, 2014, 10:03:00 PM
I've run the 45xx for an hour after oiling it as required in the instructions and, although its not perfect, its 10 times better than the 1st one I tried. Pretty much acceptable - and probably will get better with a bit more running in.

It really is a nice looking loco and I hope it continues to perform adequately.

A couple of hours running in now - not perfect by any means but acceptable, especially compared to the original I bought from Hattons.

Works better pulling a bit of a load.

Starting to run in my Dapol class 26. My god what a difference from kettles. It creeps round like a ghost. It doesn't seem to move much but if you look away for 30 secs its crept round another 3 or 4 inches. Why don't steamers work like this?
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

CarriageShed

Quote from: austinbob on December 10, 2014, 07:51:31 PM
A couple of hours running in now - not perfect by any means but acceptable, especially compared to the original I bought from Hattons.

Works better pulling a bit of a load.

Starting to run in my Dapol class 26. My god what a difference from kettles. It creeps round like a ghost. It doesn't seem to move much but if you look away for 30 secs its crept round another 3 or 4 inches. Why don't steamers work like this?

In defence of steamers, I have a Stanier 8F that creeps around like a ghost, albeit one with a bit of a growl in its voice, but that's a Poole Farish that's had a quick fiddle from a loco repairs expert.

Dr Al

Despite all the bad press of these, I've just obtained one.

This too had problems, and they are probably the same that others are experiencing.

It was clear that it was erroneously assembled, with the rearmost drivers set such that they were a gear tooth rotated as compared the front drivers. Unclipping them and rotating a gear tooth helped. Looking at pictures on some of the big retailers, I suspect there are quite a few out there like this.

I also requartered the wheels, and eased out the back to back on the front drivers which didn't match the rest.

Running is now quite good - not up to the immaculate standards of more recent designs, but it is an older design now.  The motor seems to have marginally better slow speed control than previous runs.

There is a lot of slop in the middle wheels still - I may solder up the coupling rods so they are rigid to improve this.

HTH,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations