Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

I see that the Eden Project has upset everyone down here in Cornwall by showing a picture of a "Cornish Pasty" on its web page.
Nothing wrong with that you might say.
Well.......it has a top crimp (that's the strange way they do things in Devon) and worse.........the ingredients include carrots and peas.......carrots and peas, what sort of ingredient is that in a pasty!
Grrrrr  :doh:
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

guest311

what jam was in the other end ?

Jack

Quote from: class37025 on December 12, 2019, 01:05:42 PM
what jam was in the other end ?

Jam? :no:   Maybe apple as in the sort you put in a pie, (anyway according to my Cornish grandmother-in-Law the two part pasty is a bit of myth).

And as for peas and carrots in a pasty - well  that would be like giving your "Brain on a chain" Trill budgie food in his dog bowl!!...  ;D

(Must go and find my battle bowler and await incoming...  ;D  )
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

guest311

re brain on a chain...

when I went in it was 2 1/2 lbs of raw meat plus 1/2 lb of biscuits per day, tinned meat was only held as an emergency supply.

of course in the end the bean counters powers that be decided to feed tinned meat all the time....

pity, cause some of the water-babies used to make lovely casseroles if you took down a bit of spare meat at the start of your evening airfield patrol  ::)

by the time you'd completed the first patrol and got back to the crash bays, they'd be ready to serve, just at your break time....

bowl for you, bowl for hairy beast  :food:

I noted that on wiki they say the two part pasty is no more, but I remember hearing that it was first in one end, pud in the other.. learn something every day.... mind you, would not dare to argue with your grandmum-in-law   :-X

daffy

Having mentioned elsewhere that I am rather under the weather right now, I thought I'd moan away here.

Last Tuesday my wife and I drove down to Somerset for a present exchange with her daughter. I'd been feeling a tad tired, and was having waterworks problems and thought a virus was probably at the heart of it, but after a lengthy journey from Lincolnshire in atrocious weather via Newbury to pick up one of my grand-daughters, I was totally exhausted.

At 7:00pm at the B&B we'd booked just south of Bristol my heart rate was 120bpm, and stayed that way until after 5:00am, and I had a severe headache. By now my ability to pass water had diminished considerably and the process was becoming very painful. Sleep was entirely elusive.

With heart rate returning to normal by 10:00am we spent the day with family, but by evening it was clear we'd have to go home earlier than planned, and that night was again sleepless, now due entirely to my waterworks problem. Despite the urgent need to pass water being almost permanent, by morning I had only managed a cupful, and the pain level each time I tried was now at the vocal stage, subsiding only minimally between-times.

Not wishing to be far from home we drove home after breakfast, reaching Boston Hospital A&E around 2:15pm. Four hours later we left for home, me now the less than proud owner of a fully fitted, state of the art, catheter and leg bag. :(, and a possible preliminary diagnosis of a UTI. Oh yes, and i'd thoroughly enjoyed  :no:  :no: a prostate exam, which the Doc thinks I might have passed.

The A&E experience was pretty normal: they were very busy, I was not a priority, a Junior Doctor performed what I think was his first ever catheterisation, and support staff were notably absent. All in all, by the time he'd finished and moved on to his next patient (gawd 'elp 'em), I had a poorly fitted leg bag, a sharp pain at the tip of the problem, and later found I had an unwanted leak from you-know-where, so within two hours of getting home I was calling our local (12 miles away) Urgent Treatment Centre in Skegness, where i spent another fun filled two hours having everything 'adjusted'. Even then, when i got in the car to go home at 12:30am on Friday, I nearly passed out with the pain of sitting, as the original catheter insertion had caused 'trauma' to various tissues, with a minor weeping of blood at the insertion point.

To cap it all the antibiotics I was given at Boston had come complete with side effects, to wit, a bad headache, involuntary body movements, and nervous itching.

Since then things have been very slow to improve, and sleep has been disturbed each night, pain has come in explosive bursts, often unexpectedly, and all in all I feel shattered.

Though the brilliant nurse who helped me at Skegness referred my case to the District Nurse service, today we got a telephone call and were told that they were busy and if I had any issues I should go to Skegness.

And an attempt to get an appointment with my GP for a referral for scans and other tests (the cause of my problem not having yet been ascertained) proved fruitless today, the earliest I can get to see him being Wednesday afternoon.

Heigh ho!

End of moan.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

RailGooner

Wishing you a speedy recovery Mike. :beers:

dannyboy

My sympathies Mike. Having experienced many of your symptoms, I can understand what you are going through. After initially being told, "it probably is cancer", and then being told a couple of years later, "it probably isn't cancer", I was put on a daily tablet called 'Combodart', which I have to take 'ad infinitum' They have shrunk my prostate and brought my PSA levels back to near normal, about 5, from a high of well over 20. I urge you to keep pestering the medics until you get a proper diagnosis and get the necessary treatment. I have said a few times before on the forum, please gentlemen, get your G.P. to check your PSA. As I have proved, a high PSA level and 'waterworks' problems are not always a sign of something serious. Good luck to you.  :beers:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

port perran

Take it easy Daffy.
I hope your symptoms improve in time for you to enjoy Christmas and you go on to make a full recovery.
Martin.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Papyrus

Seconded...  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Chris

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

daffy

Many thanks guys for your good wishes.  :thumbsup:

It's all a bit worrying, and although it may not be a prostate issue, as my parents and and a brother all had cancer in their lives, although the latter is now hale and hearty, it's a great worry. So yes David, I shall be badgering and bothering the medics with my usual polite forcefulness until things are diagnosed and treated properly.  A PSA test is top of my agenda now.  :thumbsup: As it stands I am due to have the catheter removed for tests soon, and it's likely they'll prescribe a prostate-shrinking drug anyway as a safeguard.

Two additional comments: did you know that Restless Leg Syndrome and Catheterisation are very poor bed fellows?   :'(

And are bladder problems at Christmas time inversely proportional to bank accounts, as my bank account is decidedly empty at the moment?  :hmmm:  :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

dannyboy

Quote from: daffy on December 16, 2019, 08:12:00 PM
all had cancer in their lives, although the latter is now hale and hearty, it's a great worry.

I must admit, I was a bit worried when the Doc's first mentioned cancer as it runs in our family. Grandmother, father, two aunts, a cousin and my little sister all succumbed to it. Plus my other sister has had it, but fortunately is now clear. I think that is why now I just get on with life, if sh*t happens, it happens. I sincerely hope that in your case it is just an infection - I had one earlier in the year, extremely painful - two lots of antibiotics and a fortnight later, cleared up.  And please do not worry Mike, all that does is give you ulcers!  ;)

Empty bank account - full bladder.   :hmmm:

Addit: One other thing Mike, if you ever want to discuss 'things', just PM me.  :beers:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Train Waiting

Best wishes, Mike.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Newportnobby

I hope the medics get you sorted soonest, Mike.
What you are going through sounds pretty awful and sleep deprivation helps no one.

daffy

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 16, 2019, 09:19:41 PM
I hope the medics get you sorted soonest, Mike.
What you are going through sounds pretty awful and sleep deprivation helps no one.

Thanks Mick, and yes, I do get S.A.D. most years, so I expect my ability to deal with this is somewhat compromised at the moment.
As for poor sleep, the odd thing about the last few nights is the effect of the antibiotic ( Trimethoprim) which, when I do get to sleep for short periods, gives me the weirdest, almost hallucinogenic dreams.

David - I thank you for your comments, and will PM you tomorrow.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations