what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevTheBusDriver

Quote from: Foxhound on March 26, 2021, 01:13:09 PM
Quote from: KevTheBusDriver on March 25, 2021, 09:00:49 PM
Today I woke up and decided to be brave and tackle a job I'd been dreading for a while - re-lettering and naming a Farish 'Peak'. It was taken out of the box 2 days ago as 45114... it is now 60 'Lytham St Annes'. Numbers and names from Railtech Transfers, double arrows are 1981-vintage Methfix, data panels from Woodhead Models (another very old sheet of waterslide transfers). The headcode 4S88 is just a bit of photo glued in after the black paint was scraped off the inside. The nameplates were applied just like the normal Railtech waterslide transfers. It looks okay to me!
Point of note: the loco carries 60 on one side and 45022 the other.
Thanks to the sun for assisting with the photos!
Happy modelling, eveyone!

Kev, that's epic! Do you do renumbering commissions?  ;)
It's a beautiful job - my 45114 has red bufferbeams, grey roof, white strips etc., did you sort all that out beforehand?

Hi - glad you like it - yes, 45114 does arrive with a grey roof (sorted with one coat of blue) a white cant rail (more blue) a white stripe (careful sanding and a bit more blue) and red bufferbeams (painted black - you can just make out a bit of red underneath). My layout is set mid-70s but I bought all the Farish Peaks as they came out - 45114 didn't carry a white stripe until post 1980 so it was a 'favourite' to modify. It had the correct full headcodes as carried by 45022 but the traingular-shaped grille on 45114 is plated over - so I had to carefully score about 6 straight lines on each triangle!
I'm very impressed with Railtech's nameplates, and their customised numbers make things a lot easier to renumber a loco. As for commissions - I don't think my brain could stand it!  Today I've been painting full yellow ends on a green Farish 47... tiny, tiny amounts of paint on a very small brush... I'll post a pic when it's done.

KevTheBusDriver

Another day another diesel to do... this is Farish 371-825C (D1779 in green) after I'd prised out the scuttle/bufferbeam, light guide (carefully!), then the cab moulding. I've fitted 'crew' but for reference these a tiny bit too high up - hardly noticeable when finished, though - see picture. I was hoping to remove the cab glazing before painting the yellow, but I couldn't pursuade the windows to move. Painting full yellow ends was a bit tricky - I'm not 100% happy with this, but it looks okay from normal viewing distances.
47356 is numbered with Railtech transfers. '356 together with 365 and 366 all went around with TOPS numbers whilst still in green livery locally, hence this one for the layout.

Here's a picture showing the 'crew':

The headcode is a bit of photograph glued in position after (carefully) scraping away the painted headcode on the inside. It hasn't got dark enough yet but I think the headcode will still illuminate. I painted one of the tail lights black, as it was very rare that a light diesel went around with 2 lit (in 1975, anyway).

Footnote: if you carry out this mod (or just remove the cab end mouldings by gently prising the cab sides apart) be very careful to clip everything back together precisely how it came out - otherwise the body will not go back on the chassis. All the lugs must be fully home in the holes. The one light guide was very fiddly - but that's what it's all about...
Happy modelling, everybody!

crewearpley40

Kev. Looking good mate. The information provided may inspire somebody to have a go. Chris

zwilnik

I've got half of the main loop laid now, including the code 55 flexitrack and points for the main line through the front scenic section. I've learned I definitely need some reading glasses for putting track together with joiners (even with my mk4 joiner pusher).

stevewalker

Finally finished the new railway shed roof (except for plastic covers for the screw heads), replacing the completely failed felt and the temporary plastic sheet patches.

The shed and the garage are side by side and actually share a gutter.

PGN

That's really good modelling, Steve ... completely indistinguishable from the real thing. The painting of the backscene is just awesome. Are the houses low relief?
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

stevewalker

:laughabovepost:

No, but the sky is always blue inside and the new roof will help stop it raining over the hills below.

AndyRA

Thought I would have a go at doing some extra scenic work to continue the 'A Model Railway's never finished' theme. Got some Noch Laser cut Reeds and Bean Poles to have a go at. Bit fiddly, but all done in a day  :)

If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

crewearpley40

PGN

Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Moose2013

Working on this kit bash for a power house. About 90% complete.

Bealman

I recognise the raw material. Very kit-bashable.

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Foxhound

Quote from: KevTheBusDriver on March 27, 2021, 08:27:14 PM
Another day another diesel to do... this is Farish 371-825C (D1779 in green) after I'd prised out the scuttle/bufferbeam, light guide (carefully!), then the cab moulding. I've fitted 'crew' but for reference these a tiny bit too high up - hardly noticeable when finished, though - see picture. I was hoping to remove the cab glazing before painting the yellow, but I couldn't pursuade the windows to move. Painting full yellow ends was a bit tricky - I'm not 100% happy with this, but it looks okay from normal viewing distances.
47356 is numbered with Railtech transfers. '356 together with 365 and 366 all went around with TOPS numbers whilst still in green livery locally, hence this one for the layout.

Here's a picture showing the 'crew':

The headcode is a bit of photograph glued in position after (carefully) scraping away the painted headcode on the inside. It hasn't got dark enough yet but I think the headcode will still illuminate. I painted one of the tail lights black, as it was very rare that a light diesel went around with 2 lit (in 1975, anyway).

Footnote: if you carry out this mod (or just remove the cab end mouldings by gently prising the cab sides apart) be very careful to clip everything back together precisely how it came out - otherwise the body will not go back on the chassis. All the lugs must be fully home in the holes. The one light guide was very fiddly - but that's what it's all about...
Happy modelling, everybody!

Kev those are epic shots. Great work!
Rob and Becky (artistic director)

Moose2013

Moose also have this on workbench ... It's what is immediately behind the Mighty Mikado #9509. N-joy!

joe cassidy

Moose,

Are you :

- Sacha Baron Cohen in disguise (Ali G) ?

- Zlatan Ibrahamovic in disguise ?

:)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations