what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

Making a combined backscene and lift off cover for the low level lines at the back of the layout, the cover will give me room for a few more buildings.

I need this done before I start on the upper level ballasting and scenic work, cos the back is about on limit for me to reach over.

I've cut a 4'x2' fibre board sheet in half length ways screwed and glued a strip of 2"x1" along the bottom of each piece, then bolted on a piece of 32mx32mm plastic angle to support the cover at a height level with the layout's upper level; next task is to print out two 4' lengths of backscene, so far undecided if that will be sky only  or if to use a couple of the Windward  hills, fields and trees, I'll be putting some low relief buildings immediately in front of whichever backscene I go with.

Ah well back to the railway room now me back has slightly recovered!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

paulprice

Well amongst other things today I have been trying to fit headlamps to some of the fleet, although this ties the loco's down to specific duties I think it still looks better than no lamps at all.

The only annoying thing is that the "brilliance" crystals keep falling out, not happy  >:D

paulprice

Quote from: newportnobby on September 26, 2015, 09:05:39 PM
Can I ask where you sourced the lamps please, Paul?
I git them from Springside, they produce LMS, GWR, BR and I think other types?

The problem is you need lots of them,

Newportnobby

Thanks. I was just looking at them and they ain't cheap unless you buy the unpainted ones. I reckon I'd go off my rocker trying to do that :laugh3:

paulprice

Quote from: newportnobby on September 26, 2015, 09:16:56 PM
Thanks. I was just looking at them and they ain't cheap unless you buy the unpainted ones. I reckon I'd go off my rocker trying to do that :laugh3:
I did not know they sold them unpainted, the only thing annoying me at the moment is that some of the "brilliance" crystals keep falling out, very, very annoying  >:D

GeeBee

Staring wistfully at the layout and wondering when I will be allowed back into doing some more scenic work Ho Hum
:unimpressed:

daveg

Quote from: paulprice on September 26, 2015, 09:29:54 PM
I did not know they sold them unpainted, the only thing annoying me at the moment is that some of the "brilliance" crystals keep falling out, very, very annoying  >:D

What adhesives have you tried, PP? I've no suggestions but someone might be able to advise what's best.

Dave G

Newportnobby

Quote from: Only Me on September 26, 2015, 09:27:24 PM
Fancy a kettle coming with no headlights eh Nobby? :)

I haven't got round to detailing anything yet, Paul, not even the stuff you get in with locos/rolling stock :-[ There will come a time though when I will have to bite the bullet, decide which loco will be pulling what and therefore what light/disc arrangements will be required.

paulprice

Quote from: daveg on September 26, 2015, 09:33:24 PM
Quote from: paulprice on September 26, 2015, 09:29:54 PM

What adhesives have you tried, PP? I've no suggestions but someone might be able to advise what's best.

Dave G

Dave 

I have been using good old fashioned superglue to reattach them, the problem is they always drop out where you cant find them, not GOOD

railsquid

Quote from: railsquid on September 18, 2015, 11:38:35 PM
Quote from: railsquid on September 12, 2015, 02:37:12 AM
Also on the todo-list for this weekend:

• re-examine a section of track where the electrical supply seems dodgy, with the help of my new multimeter  :claphappy: DONE

Finally. Done.

grumbeast

Managed to get 30mins train therapy in today, and got the first section of the Bridgewater sub temporarily wired!  Even ran my track cleaning train.  I'm in desperate need of running some trains so A few hours work should see the main loop wired simply so I can run in my locos till the control panel is built

Graham

lil chris

today i have managed to fix all my baseboard modules( 5 ) to the fiddle yard, perhaps I can lay some track now.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

railsquid

A pleasant Sunday morning in Tokyo was disturbed by the sound of an almighty BODGE!!1!!!! as railsquid hauled his meagre collection of long-suffering woodworking tools out from the dark place in which they habitually reside, gibbering.

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations