what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

Quote from: PostModN66 on August 23, 2015, 08:58:19 PM
Finally got around to using one of the four packs of Tomix 0381 couplers that I bought at TINGS about five years ago.   I used them to get closer coupling on my rake of Poole Mk2s, for Deansmoor, though I tested them on Lofthole as if it can get around the 8.5" radius Kato curves it should be pretty safe elsewhere.

Interesting idea - do they just slot into the existing pockets?

PostModN66

Quote from: railsquid on August 24, 2015, 12:02:26 AM
Quote from: PostModN66 on August 23, 2015, 08:58:19 PM
Finally got around to using one of the four packs of Tomix 0381 couplers that I bought at TINGS about five years ago.   I used them to get closer coupling on my rake of Poole Mk2s, for Deansmoor, though I tested them on Lofthole as if it can get around the 8.5" radius Kato curves it should be pretty safe elsewhere.

Interesting idea - do they just slot into the existing pockets?

Sort of - though they are very loose, so I made up a packing piece for each one that fits in front of the flange and makes a closer fit, as well as bringing the coupling distance in somewhat.   Having done this they work fine without the spring; which is just as well as there isn't really any room for it!

One feature I really like is that they positively lock together with a click, unlike any other aftermarket coupler system I know - so unwanted uncouplings should be eliminated.  The downside of this is that you rely on the (yaw) rotation of coupler within the box to go around curves - but as you can see the train goes round 8.5" radius happily.

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Tdm

Once again making some more "tweaks" to the layout design to utilise all of the space available, and create 2 new high level sidings running alongside my existing Kibri bridge track.

The extra track needed arrived yesterday together with some additional platform sections and ramps to create a new station just below the Kibri bridge.

Have also updated my Scarm drawing of the layout the "3D" snapshot attached showing it  from the back wall to which it is attached.  Unfortunately just discovered though that Photobucket will no longer give me the option to copy the "image" direct into this posting, whereas as it did in the past! So annoying when they update the software and take away facilities you regularly use.

Scub that - just discovered how to get back the options I had lost.
The red & black small circles on the track are where I have placed the power connections from my twin track controller. The coloured "cylinders" are meant to represent locomotive positions on the track. Be nice if Scarm provided some loco images in their "objects" list.

The layout design allows me to run either a) 3 trains at the same time, or b) 2 trains with one on a double loop, or c) 1 train on a long triple loop of the track.

paulprice

Oldman

Experimenting with building light signals using fibre optic's  :doh:
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

paulprice

Working on almost endless weathering of stock and on something to add a little variety to the trains on view

JasonBz

I'm in waiting mode at the moment mainly cos its gone midnight and sometime later today I will be receiving a large box from Screwfix with a new chop saw and some Gorilla Glue within it.
Then I can butcher some wood :)

paulprice

Well the bang on the head I suffered must have been worst that I originally thought?  ??? I mean I cannot think of another reason for it?

I have actually started to repaint a couple of my more "tired" old farish coached into my representation of LNER teak  :doh:

All I have to do now is finish the interiors, then sort out the couplings, and then they can form part of the inter-regional workings on the layout?

daveg

PP, what is the crane, please? Is it a kit? Meant to ask before.

Dave G

paulprice

Quote from: daveg on September 07, 2015, 06:50:37 AM
PP, what is the crane, please? Is it a kit? Meant to ask before.

Dave G

Dave its just a mix of scrap from my junk box, and a peco wagon, it needs lots of work  :(

Tdm

Well I'm ripping it up once again because I decided I was no longer completely happy with it and wanted to re-design it yet again, but I'm still confined to a space of roughly 80 inches by 36 inches with the board resting up and supported by 3 walls.

Currently re-laying the track to match the Scarm drawing below, and I will also be changing the scenery somewhat. 

Still a busy layout which I know is not to everyones taste, but lack of storage space means all my rolling stock has to be accomodated on the layout itself and I didn't want a hidden "fiddle yard", and I like to run 2 trains at the same time on what is a DC layout.

snitchthebudgie

Nothing very exciting!  I've got to:

• Repair one of our club boards before next Wednesday's ESNG meeting
  • Build a 2ft fiddle yard for my American layout before the Dorking MRC show in October
  • Build the fiddle yard for my N-club modules layout
Jon
https://esngblog.wordpress.com/

Hyperion

Baseboard painting is underway. Primer/sealer/undercoat is on and now to choose which shade of brown for the earthy topcoat.

Before the topcoat is applied I do have to run some string wire pullers so I can cable it without having to lift up any of the boards.
DC or DCC, that is the question.

railsquid

Quote from: Tdm on September 11, 2015, 06:31:31 PMStill a busy layout which I know is not to everyones taste

I like it, it's one of the ones I first came across here and drew inspiration from.

Meanwhile, first task for the weekend is to clear up the mess from this morning's earthquake:

Nothing dramatic, just a poorly-secured temporary section. Couple of evidently top-heavy locos fell over too. No damage as far as I can tell.

Also on the todo-list for this weekend:

• re-examine a section of track where the electrical supply seems dodgy, with the help of my new multimeter  :claphappy:
  • finish off the embedded snow meltwater drain
  • miscellaneous ground-coverage work at the front of the layout
  • construct the embankment at the rear of the layout which replaces the removed arched wall section
  • prepare the remaining bare ground for decoration
  • miscellaneous scenery detailing
Hopefully I can get the station segment (40% of this part of the layout) largely "done". Not exhibition-standard "done" of course, just looking generally covered in scenery-like stuff.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations