what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

Quote from: Dorsetmike on July 29, 2015, 06:52:05 PM

so I tried some from a coil of galvanised gardening wire, seems to work OK, bends easier and doesn't ruin cutters, being in the tube keeps it from bowing or bending. and it's a damned sight cheaper than point motors, I only use them in remote corners.

It may not look fancy, but it'll be covered with ballast or some other scenery.

That is exactly how I did my WIT. The wire cost me £1 for a lot and I used silicone(?) tube that I bought from fleabay - very pleased with the operation of the points.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Dorsetmike

My tube is ABS, AKA styrene. Got 4 more done this evening. now have to wait for more tube to arrive that I ordered this afternoon. There are 5 in the back corners for which I will use surface mounted Peco motors which will be set back where they can be hidden and connected to the points by a short Wire in tube. Not sure yet what to do with the run round points at the end of the terminus, may put motors on those, same with two in the MPD.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

JasonBz

Chopping a few bits off a Hornby Engine Shed 4mm scale clip together kit to make a suitable N scale large tin shed type of building frame for the local Farmers CoOp warehouse to use.

Them older Hornby buildings are quite a useful resource for buildings :)

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: JasonBz on July 29, 2015, 09:14:11 PM
Chopping a few bits off a Hornby Engine Shed 4mm scale clip together kit to make a suitable N scale large tin shed type of building frame for the local Farmers CoOp warehouse to use.

But aren't they a tad over scale?  :laugh:
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

paulprice

I think my canal is looking too clean, I think it needs a little grot, or maybe a shark?

daveg

Quote from: paulprice on July 30, 2015, 09:43:43 AM
I think my canal is looking too clean, I think it needs a little grot, or maybe a shark?

How did you get such a good fin-ish, PP?  :wave:

Dave G

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

paulprice

paulprice

Quote from: daveg on July 30, 2015, 10:39:52 AM
Quote from: paulprice on July 30, 2015, 09:43:43 AM

How did you get such a good fin-ish, PP?  :wave:

Dave G

Dave

Its a simple trick I learned years ago, just get some clear pasti-card cut it to the required shape, them with your favourite enamels (gloss of satin it does not matter) paint underside of the pasti-card with suitable hues to represent your preferred type of water, and if there are weeds etc, remember to use darker colours to represent deeper water. Leave to dry, then flip it over and when you install it, instant glossy water. If I want ripples I simply put a thin layer of gloss varnish on top with a brush, applied from side to side or top to bottom depending upon how you want the ripples.

If I can do it anyone can  :-*

Bealman

That is one great tip. Thanks for posting!

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

paulprice

Quote from: Bealman on July 30, 2015, 11:13:14 AM
That is one great tip. Thanks for posting!

George

George

Not a problem, I even use the same approach for water towers etc

Trent

The canal is looking a little too ... much like an A* piece of modeling imho  :heart2:

JasonBz

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on July 30, 2015, 07:56:30 AM
Quote from: JasonBz on July 29, 2015, 09:14:11 PM

But aren't they a tad over scale?  :laugh:

They would be a touch under scale for a steel works, even in Z gauge :D

PaulPrices canal water certainly looks just like canal water should - Ill note that method for still waters running deep :)

1936ace

not much sadly. waiting for the flooring to be reinstalled.
once thats done and the final storm repairs all sorte i hope to b able to get back into some serious work incl having a go at scenery
bart

grumbeast

Messy plaster!  Got it all done on the British side of the layout, but run out of plaster cloth

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations