what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulprice

Quote from: Roy L S on June 21, 2015, 08:49:53 PM
Quote from: paulprice on June 21, 2015, 08:26:30 PM
I really should get down to doing some serious modelling, but I keep getting distracted, is there no hope for me, I'm supposed to have al LMS layout.

Hi Paul

I have had a look at the pics of Foster Street on your layout thread and in your media folder. I think it is an absolutely brilliant layout, full of atmosphere.

I also think your "Titfield Thunderbolt" here looks absolutely fantastic and even if you say the coach is not spot on the train is instantly recognisable.

Regards

Roy

Roy

thanks for the kind comment, though all I see in some of the photographs are areas that need improvement :(

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Roy L S on June 21, 2015, 08:49:53 PM
Quote from: paulprice on June 21, 2015, 08:26:30 PM
I really should get down to doing some serious modelling, but I keep getting distracted, is there no hope for me, I'm supposed to have al LMS layout.

Hi Paul

I have had a look at the pics of Foster Street on your layout thread and in your media folder. I think it is an absolutely brilliant layout, full of atmosphere.

I also think your "Titfield Thunderbolt" here looks absolutely fantastic and even if you say the coach is not spot on the train is instantly recognisable.

Regards

Roy

Roy, there were plenty of LMS lines where GWR had running powers. Your problem solved, I think.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

paulprice

Caz

Quote from: Caz on June 21, 2015, 06:14:23 PM
Adding the new MPD track and a pilot loco bay to Claywell and discovered that where I want one of the points is totally unaccessible from below to fit a point motor -  :veryangry:

Plan B me thinks - what is plan B though.   :dunce:

Eventually came up with a plan B, not nice but it worked, see http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6570.msg311950#msg311950
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

railsquid

A long awaited delivery of Round Tuits together with a BodgeMeister™ and a bucket of pure unadulterated Kludge finally arrived, giving me the opportunity to add some scenic backboards to the Ivar shelf part of the layout and lay down some styrofoam sheets which, once suitably sculpted, will provide a teensy bit of ground level variation and also help hide various bits of wire.

By "scenic backboard" I mean the boards themselves, currently painted in "Plywood Sky" but which I'll probably spray light blue until I can come up with something better. The main purpose of today's operation was to mount them in such a way that they can be removed without moving/dismantling the shelving unit. Here the small TMD area:

(the curved track will later connect up to the rest of the layout) and the station area:

The tunnel portals will be bricked up and the approaching tracks will serve as locomotive releases.

port perran

Have put everything back together after yesterdays show. and made a few modifications to the woodwork to make things better for next time.
Now have to put all the locos, stock and road vehicles back on.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Squiddy - I already have more Roundtuits than I can handle but would be interested to hear where you obtained your BodgeMeister and Kludge please ;D

Malc

Mick, the BodgeMeister is available from Bodge-it and Scarper, the DIY chain.

Just spent an hour or so wiring up an automatic signal module. Just finished and discovered that the red lead on the signal brings on the yellow LED and the yellow lead brings on the red LED. You just can't get the staff these days.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Addie

Hi everyone,

I haven't got a layout yet. Surfing on the internet I fell in love with English diesel locomotives and  British layouts. The first problem is that there are no Graham Farish or Dapol dealers in the Netherlands. For me the nearest dealer is in Germany at a five our drive. In reviews (British) some are positive about Dapol whilst others complain about the quality of the finish and running of Dapol locomotives. So I thought why not ask this here. How is Dapol  compared with Fleischmann and Minitrix? Without trying to influence replies, I'm actually seeking reassurance about the quality of Dapol and Graham Farish.

Why is there water between Britain and the Netherlands anyway? Maybe before starting my N gauge layout I should build a bridge over the North Sea.

Greetings,

Addie

Newportnobby

I have no Fleischmann so can't comment on them.
Minitrix locos are probably able to pull our countries together so no need for a bridge but looks wise they are pretty awful. As for Farish/Dapol/Peco, I've had bad ones from them all but am relatively pleased with an overall 96% success rate (I know it should be 100% but am probably asking the impossible as they are built by humans)

Addie

steve836

Hi Addie & welcome,
Don't forget Union Mills if you want the odd steamer! They are not so well detailed as Farish or Dapol but they are much better in terms of performance.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

port perran

Quote from: steve836 on July 10, 2015, 09:22:46 AM
Hi Addie & welcome,
Don't forget Union Mills if you want the odd steamer! They are not so well detailed as Farish or Dapol but they are much better in terms of performance.
I'd second that. Brilliant machines.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

D1042 Western Princess

:beers:  Feeling happy. I hope I haven't spoken too soon but, for the first time since Easter, and on some parts of the layout since Christmas (what is it about my layout and religious celebrations?? :confused1:) I have managed to run a loco to all parts without it stopping due to electrical faults caused when I ballasted  :'(!
Thanks to all those here who offered advice and suggestions.  :thankyousign:
More than once I came close to putting the lot in a skip because of the frustrations it caused.
Greg.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Newportnobby

Working on the assumption you don't have a magic wand, what exactly have you done to reach this euphoric state please, Greg (I'll also assume no alcohol was involved ;))

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations